• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hindsight Utd

During preseason I posted to the effect that;

1). Our forward line looks like it will score for fun.
2). Our midfield will come into its own with a good forward line and defence.
3). For the first time in seasons I felt we had a good looking defence and it would be the base for a promotion tilt.

Can I still say I told you so ? :Sick:

In the last two games these bits are beginning to look good. The Ralph injury has set us back but 2 CB's and a LB on loan in January will make a big difference.

Unless Ox is on Sol's hit list, then stick him back in goal and Demi or JW at RB and we will have a much better 2020

The transfer thread is one of the most boring things on here, IMHO.

Where we are and how we move forward is inherently linked to the past and decisions made. Utilising the types of players that worked for us and those that don't. Tapping into history and the mistakes made is part of moulding our future.

It can't change those decisions, which is your point inherently, but it can affect our thinking and as such has it's place.

So at what point do we realise whether or not the mistake has been made?

For instance, after Brown was sacked, Powell took the team on a great run for the rest of the season. During Brown's last few gamest, the fans were completely divided and the atmosphere in the ground was toxic. I seem to recall there were even a few bust ups between fans in the ground at the matches!

I doubt there was a fan at that point saying it was a mistake, but in any case it would appear to be an issue with SCP's choice of replacement for the players that had left, rather than Brown going. If no-one knows what the mistake is, then you can't learn from it.

But looking at the past and bemoaning an event that happened 2 years ago as being the cause of our problems today is ridiculous in my opinion, especially bearing in mind what else has happened since.

Of course - it matters where we are, what division we're in and how we are playing. What doesn't matter is someone's opinion that they feel we shouldn't have sacked Brown. We are where we are and I'd just to prefer to discuss how we're going to get out of it and rebuild rather than harp on about the old decisions made by the chairman. We're going to solve this on the pitch, not off it. Ron is clearly digging deep again and has sanctioned 6 new players in January. We will be highly unlikely to offload anyone until the end of the season, so for that I think he needs a bit of credit.

For instance, after Brown was sacked, Powell took the team on a great run for the rest of the season. During Brown's last few gamest, the fans were completely divided and the atmosphere in the ground was toxic. I seem to recall there were even a few bust ups between fans in the ground at the matches!

I doubt there was a fan at that point saying it was a mistake, but in any case it would appear to be an issue with SCP's choice of replacement for the players that had left, rather than Brown going. If no-one knows what the mistake is, then you can't learn from it.

But looking at the past and bemoaning an event that happened 2 years ago as being the cause of our problems today is ridiculous in my opinion, especially bearing in mind what else has happened since.

Of course - it matters where we are, what division we're in and how we are playing. What doesn't matter is someone's opinion that they feel we shouldn't have sacked Brown. We are where we are and I'd just to prefer to discuss how we're going to get out of it and rebuild rather than harp on about the old decisions made by the chairman. We're going to solve this on the pitch, not off it. Ron is clearly digging deep again and has sanctioned 6 new players in January. We will be highly unlikely to offload anyone until the end of the season, so for that I think he needs a bit of credit.

Good post fbm and I imagine he already has more than most. :Smile:

Hindsight is of use if you learn from your mistakes ,

Here we have little input in the running of the club, so , we shouldn't have sold..... , or we should have played 4141 etc are futile , the powers that be aren't listening

However there is something to be said about reflecting back on our own comments in hindsight and not repeating them in future when they were so blatantly wrong previously , but that doesn't need to be done on here .
Problem is, few will admit they were wrong, even fewer will do it off their own accord.

Facts are a different matter obviously.

Can I take this opportunity to say that when Fergie announced his retirement I said to Mrs FS that Man U would struggle and get rid of at least two managers before finding success

In short, where we are is exactly related to what happened in the past.

You can't undo history, but you can use it to learn from. For example, the mistakes made under PB were that we thought we deserved better than League One. Many people almost demanded it. Whereas the reality is that we are exactly who we are and where we are for a reason. That doesn't mean to say we shouldn't have ambition, but that we should not demand or expect it. RM threw money at The Championship/FF dream and since then we've had a slow decline with poor recruitment because of short termism.

People are already asking questions on Sol, not because he isn't the right guy, but because we demand instant success.

In 1979-80 Dave Smith was manager when we were relegated. In today's climate, he would have been shown the door, but he wasn't back then and we gained promotion under him in 1980-81 as we all know and the following season were up towards the top of Division 3.

I think everyone has the right to discuss the past and the effect it has on where we are now. It's all relevant and if we don't embrace it, we'll carry on with a crash course of churning managers until we end up in the NL.

Accept your limitations and build a side from there to compete in the FL. We've done that since we joined it over 100 years ago and the community has had a sense of belonging with the club ever since.

The club is part of our lives. Our history. It's brought together people and given many memories. Don't destroy it by biting off more than you can chew.

We've seen what happens with clubs who have done this.

Last edited:
Brown had to go and it’s nonsense to suggest any different. Think people are just frustrated that 2 years on we’re in an even worse state. So analysing why is natural I suppose. What matters now is Sol being given the backing from Ron and the fan base to get it right. If he stays the course I reckon he will.

Huh. We're still in League One so I would say we're nowhere near as bad as we were back in the dark days of the mid 80s. Then we really did have a dodgy chairman, an alcoholic manager, and several has been players for one last wage.

With hindsight, I shouldn't have come on here today.

I was looking for something to cheer me up.

With hindsight, I should have stuck to checking the weather or watching the election debates......

Coming on here to be cheered up is the height of optimism at the moment!

Hindsight hinders and gives birth to regret, citing malignant memories you’d rather forget, and puncturing even the thickest of skin.

People,

Please can we stop harping back to the "Shouldn't have sacked PB/SCP", "Shouldn't have sold Leonard", "Should have done this/that/whatever" type posts please? It solves absolutely nothing, is pointless and the underlying (and usually accompanying theme) of something like "I said so at the time and..." is akin to "I told you so" which are 4 words no-one ever needs to hear (especially if they're wrong!),

Personally, I mourn the loss of Dick Bate, who I felt was on the cusp of getting it spot on and who knows where we would be now and what heights we may have ascended to if he had been in the hotseat for just a few more games?

That's ridiculous of course, but is about as useful as any of the numerous hindsight statements about who we should/shouldn't have signed/sold/sacked/retained/released.

IT DOESN'T MATTER. MOVE ON.

Thank God it's nearly January and we have a transfer thread to discuss,,,

Thanks for your point of view but I’ll carry on posting whatever the hell I like and as long it doesn’t breach the rules there won’t be a problem.
Can we please stop preaching to people what they should be doing?

I have the same story. Although I blame Hullbridge under 10's manager for taking us to RH for surprise Christmas treat.

If I remember right we were struggling in the 3rd division at the time. We had just sold Peter Taylor.....Which i said at the time was a big mistake,
if only we had kept him, Chris Guthrie, Stuart Brace and Peter Silvester because I like the name......Just think where we would be.

I rember seeing his debut for the under 21's (as it was then) at Palace-which was the club he signed for of course-shortly after he'd left us and before he'd actually played for them, IIRC.

This at least will/should be interesting to see.(Similarly,Espanyol -currently bottom of la Liga and without a home win this season (roll on Betis on Sunday) have threatened to spend big in January).I fervently hope both clubs will give their loyal supporters something to shout about again.

I rember seeing his debut for the under 21's (as it was then) at Palace-which was the club he signed for of course-shortly after he'd left us and before he'd actually played for them, IIRC.

Off topic but saw him at Southend Hosp Mon afternoon, on crutches. He was still moving faster than most of our defence!.

Thanks for your point of view but I’ll carry on posting whatever the hell I like and as long it doesn’t breach the rules there won’t be a problem.
Can we please stop preaching to people what they should be doing?

Asking. Not preaching. Asking.

But you're right of course, people can post whatever they like (within the rules) and long may that continue. Personally I'd prefer to engage in discussion about something other than whether or not someone considers that we shouldn't have sacked PB, but then I guess I can just ignore it. It was just that at the time, there seemed to be a lot of depressing posts about our current plight (naturally) and there were a few about sacking PB being the cause of the problems in an "I told you so" style.

In fairness, there was a fair amount of calling out on posters during the PB era, asking why we thought he was a good manager when supposedly the vast majority didn't. I recall at least 4 polls asking for him to be sacked, with 'no voters' almost publicly being held to account and to explain themselves.

PB's reign divided opinion for sure, so I think if people post in support of him now, then they have that right to do so. There are still posters who blame our current predicament on him, yet they aren't asked to desist.

I'm not saying the OP suggested that, but it did read that we shouldn't be discussing the whys and wherefores of the past. In that respect, neither should people blaming where we are on previous managerial incumbents. It cuts both ways.

My view is and always will be, publish and be damned and should always be that way on a forum unless it is either deeply offensive content or against rules laid down by the moderating team.

Hope that's fair.

Last edited:
Back