• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Back on topic=======================================

The rules on Homelessness are varied depending on individual circumstances, Shelter have lots of useful stuff on their webpage.
Locally (to Southend) the situation is much better managed than most areas with the Night Shelter, YMCA, womans refuge, and other niche housing projects & DSS B&Bs: BUT the downside of that is that it makes the area a "magnet" for more rough sleepers who get drawn to the area in the hope of help/food/services etc.

HARP provide many many safe, supervised beds, wash facilities (personal and clothing), food, access to GP and dentist, advice re DSS, jobs, benefits, housing law, mental health, clothing, starter packs for new to bedsit living, even basic literacy. They help with counselling, mediation, medication, dependencies and more. Clients can, when trusted, help in running the kitchens and get basic NVQ in food hygiene etc. Staff walk the streets at night trying to help rough sleepers.

If you haven't guessed yet then I declare that I am "sold" on HARP and it's staff/work.

Check them out before pitching in on either side of the homeless agendas.

I'd echo this. They do great work locally. It is not just putting a roof over people's head, but helping them find a pathway back into 'society'. As has now been established, the pay for the staff is pretty basic and so you would only work there if you really wanted to make a difference.

I get that volunteering time is not for everyone. However little things really help. If you find you have unwanted presents or get presents that make current items redundant take it to one of their charity shops (hamlet court road) or if you have an abundance of food after Xmas, how about giving that to them (better for the waistline too...).....

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38417101

I see that nice JC has sent his Xmas message from a homeless hostel this year.

"Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn used his Christmas message, which he posted on Twitter, to point to Shelter figures suggesting 120,000 children would spend Christmas without a home to call their own while rough sleeping had increased by 30% in the last year.
He praised charity workers, adding: "It's the goodwill and generosity of ordinary people, public service and charity workers who give tirelessly to help the most vulnerable and the lonely.
"They remind us of Christmas values: love for your neighbour, working together and hope, hope that things can be different."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38417101

I see that nice JC has sent his Xmas message from a homeless hostel this year.

"Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn used his Christmas message, which he posted on Twitter, to point to Shelter figures suggesting 120,000 children would spend Christmas without a home to call their own while rough sleeping had increased by 30% in the last year.
He praised charity workers, adding: "It's the goodwill and generosity of ordinary people, public service and charity workers who give tirelessly to help the most vulnerable and the lonely.
"They remind us of Christmas values: love for your neighbour, working together and hope, hope that things can be different."

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnn:zzzzz:

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnn:zzzzz:

While I appreciate homelessness is an apolitical subject for some, for me it's not.That why I started this thread in the politics section in the first place.

Shelter itself was started, you'll remember, after Ken Loach's Cathy Come Home was first shown on the BBC back in the 60's.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Homelessness is often a result of other fault lines in society; mental health, addictions, family dysfunctional, education, trauma, poverty.
By "curing" unintentional homelessness loads of other problems get helped & could save the economy billions in the long run.
Now persons who become homeless by virtue of their behavior are a quite different matter; but among these, eventually, many will recognise the error of their ways and eventually what to do to correspond with society norms.

Back