• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Hotel plans now ditched.

Yes- although in practical terms makes very little difference emotionally it feels more of a negative than it really is. Would have been better if it stayed the same but given the number is so small it probably flows from the design change necessitated by going from hotel to housing. Hopefully they now just get on and build it!!
Don't hold your breath!! Lol

So will the additional things like the club plaza, restaurants and bars etc be gone now?

I'm not bothered about the capacity being 16k if there is room to grow if needed.

I would have thought that more houses in the main stand means they will actually wan to build it. A hotel may have waited a while.

Ron will become yet another rich property speculator, about the only booming business in the UK these days. No worries about employing staff, business rates and rents, no large electricity bills etc. Just buy land, do nothing for a few years, sell it off for a profit or build as many flats as you can cram in using the cheapest labour and materials on offer. Why bother running a pub, factory, shop or even a football club when you can make easy money speculating in property.

The planning application is ref. 22/01528/FULM. This link may work: https://publicaccess.southend.gov.u...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=RFSESHPAKU000.

There are an awful lot of documents on the application, so if like me you want to spend the afternoon browsing stadium plans while pretending to work, here are some of the highlights. The Design and Access Statement is most informative, but is broken down into a lot of chunks which you're best off accessing through the planning portal linked above.

Phasing plan

Masterplan phase 1

Masterplan phase 2

Phase 2 stadium/concourse plans

Elevations

Sections
Masterplan!, do me a favour

What's next to go? The pitch ??

Another 100 houses on there to accommodate Ron Martin Road though the middle of the goalposts ...

Removing the hotel for more houses is a complete joke. More traffic in that area increasing the difficultly of getting in and out of the stadium area on match days.

It's become a Farce. Nothing more than a major profit scheme for Mr Martin and his associates.

I love the bloody club ..... of course you do!!!
It’s actually the opposite effect with no retail, cinema and hotel there will be far less traffic with just the housing …..Less need for road changes around FF.

It’s actually the opposite effect with no retail, cinema and hotel there will be far less traffic with just the housing …..Less need for road changes around FF.
Will it though?

I can't imagine the cinema would be busy during match hours. The hotel would likely be used commercially by the club to attract Investors ect attending games. Retail .. unlikely busy during match days as those living locally would more likely shop on non match days.

Housing however would home not necessarily serve football supporters, but those over populated London areas who just want a home. FF is nowhere near the rail link so it's more traffic in and out.

Will it though?

I can't imagine the cinema would be busy during match hours. The hotel would likely be used commercially by the club to attract Investors ect attending games. Retail .. unlikely busy during match days as those living locally would more likely shop on non match days.

Housing however would home not necessarily serve football supporters, but those over populated London areas who just want a home. FF is nowhere near the rail link so it's more traffic in and out.
Yeah, nobody goes to the pictures at the weekend or in the evening.

Will it though?

If you think people don't shop, eat or go to the cinema etc on a Saturday. Then try getting out of the car park at Oxford or Scunthorpe about 17:00hrs.

Anyway we are going over old ground. The council wanted housing at FF as they are under impossible government targets. Over 10,000 in the next 10 years. Like I say no retail no hotel......All though a really cheap one would make huge profit from a Serco asylum contratc

If you think people don't shop, eat or go to the cinema etc on a Saturday. Then try getting out of the car park at Oxford or Scunthorpe about 17:00hrs.

Anyway we are going over old ground. The council wanted housing at FF as they are under impossible government targets. Over 10,000 in the next 10 years. Like I say no retail no hotel......All though a really cheap one would make huge profit from a Serco asylum contratc
Fair play.

It's just a joke we've been tagged along for 30 years on the promise of a new stadium and when it eventually arrives, its nothing more than a housing estate. Shocking ....

Retail scrapped
Cinema scrapped
Hotel scrapped
Leisure scrapped

All of these were huge non match day revenue streams and would have given us an excellent financial footing for the future.

I’m afraid the odd ladies, U21’s match or a concert here and there is not going to generate no where near as much revenue as the above listed.

Ron’s a property developer and must now feel like he’s won the lottery as he doesn’t have to build any of the above mentioned, just a huge housing development with a smaller stadium crammed in the middle of it
You do realise none of those would have been owned by SUFC don't you? They would have been revenue, but not for the club. The only thing out of that that would have helped the club is the hotel's conference facilities. I hope the new stand at least has conference facilities even if the hotel has gone.

Ever since it was announced the stadium will have blocks of flats built into it I started losing any positivity I felt about it. And every subsequent announcement just makes it worse. We’ll be a laughing stock (ok even more of one) when we finally start playing in the most soulless ground ever built. 4 or probably 3 bog-standard identikit stands strung between blocks of flats, and hardly any bigger than Roots Hall. So much for a state of the art stadium fit to take us up through the leagues. It’s become a box ticking excessive for Ron, he’ll now agree to anything to just get the thing built & gather in his multi-millions. All very depressing.

Well all I know is that once roots hall is closed my support for the blues will probably not be physical. I have always thought ff was a **** place for a new ground. Further away from major routes more difficult to get to. After 2 hours getting to Southend I don’t feel like getting stuck in more traffic jams. A127 bad enough getting into Southend already on match day. Martin you are an absolute ****er and I hate you with all my strength. ****

I may very much be in the minority but I quite like the ground being surrounded by housing as it makes it feel more old school.

Compared to the likes of Doncaster, Scunthorpe & MK dons fans will be able to walk to the ground and new generations of fans will fall in love with the club.

We also need to get used to being a small lowe or non-league club, it isn't realistic for us to get to the championship anymore, we simply cannot afford it

Well all I know is that once roots hall is closed my support for the blues will probably not be physical. I have always thought ff was a **** place for a new ground. Further away from major routes more difficult to get to. After 2 hours getting to Southend I don’t feel like getting stuck in more traffic jams. A127 bad enough getting into Southend already on match day. Martin you are an absolute ****er and I hate you with all my strength. ****
Depending on where you park when you come to Roots Hall - if you park near Prittlewell station you could park in the same spot and and it's probably an extra 5 mins walk

I thought the idea of the units/hotel etc, etc was the revenue for the club on non-match days
Where will the revenue come from now?

I am not ashamed to say that I love RH and would quite happily stay there. It is no doubt a s**t hole but it's our s**thole but I am a realist and know that we have no choice but to move.

I thought the idea of the units/hotel etc, etc was the revenue for the club on non-match days
Where will the revenue come from now?

I am not ashamed to say that I love RH and would quite happily stay there. It is no doubt a s**t hole but it's our s**thole but I am a realist and know that we have no choice but to move.
Because of the **** of an owner. If the ground had been maintained we probably would not have to move

Because of the **** of an owner. If the ground had been maintained we probably would not have to move
I'm not sure that's true, even a stadium like old Trafford has areas of concern and that was last upgraded in the 90's.

Roots hall was built with what at the time was old fashioned techniques and would take a near full rebuild to be a useful stadium in a decades time

Back