• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How do you assess Sol’s start at the hall

Must say im underwhelmed too. But its blood from a stone with this lot so im reserving judgement. Not quite sure the patience will last to league 2 unless A few signings in january bring some heart and a couple of wins which will prolong his tenure and perhaps give us some optimism for the l2 campaign.

the biggest thing for me was seeing him sitting in on the Shrimpers trust meeting ...

highly commendable dedication to all aspects of a football club - plus patiently having to listen to some "views" from the floor on his playing style ..

A blooming hero for going through that ;-)

Just watched yesterdays goals. All four involved us giving them the ball in our own half. Very much of the view that Campbell needs to be given time, but I am surprised at the tactics he is using given our goal difference. I would have thought the safe thing to do in the short term would be to play ugly and for the centre halves to get it as far up the field as possible.

Paul Sturrock's kind of game you mean. I think Big Bad Barry was his first target and signing when he came to us. He wanted a huge target man up front. Admittedly he only had a squad of about 5 players (Dan Bentley helped) when he arrived but his tactic was play to your strengths. At the back he had his friend G Coughlan ( he should of been our first choice as manager and seems to be doing ok now) and he then signed our very own scissor king.. We can all knock Moshni for having 1 brain cell missing but he scored his fair number of goals and took NO prisoners at all.

The point being with just a certain mindset and 3 or 4 players who wanted it, and had PASSION the rest of the team upped their game. I always had a lot of time for PS and think he was harshly treated at the end.

The problem we have now is that we don't have 1 single player fit to tie the bootlaces of the 4 mentioned.

I think SOL would love to be a position of only having 5 or so players on the books.

Last edited:
Paul Sturrock's kind of game you mean. I think Big Bad Barry was his first target and signing when he came to us. He wanted a huge target man up front. Admittedly he only had a squad of about 5 players (Dan Bentley helped) when he arrived but his tactic was play to your strengths. At the back he had his friend G Coughlan ( he should of been our first choice as manager and seems to be doing ok now) and he then signed our very own scissor king.. We can all knock Moshni for having 1 brain cell missing but he scored his fair number of goals and took NO prisoners at all.

The point being with just a certain mindset and 3 or 4 players who wanted it, and had PASSION the rest of the team upped their game. I always had a lot of time for PS and think he was harshly treated at the end.

The problem we have now is that we don't have 1 single player fit to tie the bootlaces of the 4 mentioned.

I think SOL would love to be a position of only having 5 or so players on the books.
1 brain cell missing? He only had one to start with..

From memory wasn’t it 4 players, and three put in a transfer request on his first day leaving just Grant

His first signings were

Corr and Gilbert.

Craig Easton, Sofiene Zaaboub, Ryan Hall, Blair Sturrock and Mohsni then signed.

Cocko didnt join until a month later.

His first signings were

Corr and Gilbert.

Craig Easton, Sofiene Zaaboub, Ryan Hall, Blair Sturrock and Mohsni then signed.

****o didnt join until a month later.

Ok one of his first signings then Pedant. :Moon:

It still makes no difference to the point I was making.

How can I like this more than once. I would kill for a BBBC and Bilel type now.

Knock them all you like, they had the passion to make them winners.

How can I like this more than once. I would kill for a BBBC and Bilel type now.

Knock them all you like, they had the passion to make them winners.

For sure, 100% triers. Don't like, hate losing players.

This year I struggled for whose name to get on my this season shirt and went for Ralph as I figured he would play most games and got good pre season ratings,
Last season I had Cox on my shirt as he was a nailed on starter then.
Based on season so far I would, if I could, go for Hutch or Hoppy for a name on shirt for Christmas.

Just to revive this thread, I was wondering what the general consensus is of people's opinion not just of SC but also that of the players. Is it safe to presume that he's had a chat with those he's looking to hopefully let go in January and with that in mind, have you seen a more positive (and hopefully improved) response from players hoping to not join those 'awaiting departure' i.e. playing to keep their place and be a part of SC's journey here ?

Like The Beatles sang, It's getting better all the time, but as Carole King sung, It's too late baby.

Like The Beatles sang, It's getting better all the time, but as Carole King sung, It's too late baby.

I think Sol is beginning to turn things round. And I do not believe it is too late to avoid relegation. Momentum is so important in life, and, as many others on this board have pointed out, we have some vital games against fellow-strugglers coming up now which might provide a platform for building a bit of a run.

I am pleased he has not persisted with five at the back when it was clearly not working. That is a good sign.

The return of Mantom and Demetriou could be a turning point if they can both stay fit. Sol seems a deeply engaged and driven manager, and also comes across as a thoughtful and hightly intelligent person.

Back