• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How good can we be in league 2

duncan bulgaria

Fuzzy Wuzzy Was a Woman
So if we was to start the season with no new additions as expected where do you think MM needs to work on the most .
For me I’d try and out score the opposition , I think if we can get Kelman , Humpfreys, Hutchinson and good ship firing then I think we could do some damage in this division .

I think he could do a lot worse than try and get roots hall buzzing again with some attacking football and from reports that’s his style .

if we can sign some players , I’m sure he will look for workhorses and tough players similar to his own style of play .
That combination should see us have a decent season and who knows what a bit of confidence , system and fresh ideas could take us

I don’t disagree but I’m not sure how those 4 fit into a side how MM wants to play

It appears MM sees Goodship and Hutchinson as second strikers to Kelman and Humph.

He played 442 both halves last night with Hutchinson supporting Humph first half and Goodship supporting Kelman.

Both Hutchinson and Goodship seem to be seen as 10s and Kelman and Humph as 9s and it seems that MM sees a 9/10 pairing rather than a 9/9 one.

Hutchinson is an number 10 type, he never a striker if I was honest. Rush is an forward, that can complete with Humphrey, Goodship & Kelman, 4 of them can easily cause League 2 defenders lots of problems.

I think this season is a learning discipline, styles of play and building back confidence. I know some people have confidence in doing well and I am sincere in saying I'd take survival (on and off the pitch) but I don't really know enough about the other sides to compare and contrast, especially factoring in the corona element

So if we start the season with no new additions as expected where do you think MM needs to work on the most .
For me I’d try and out score the opposition , I think if we can get Kelman , Humpfreys, Hutchinson and good ship firing then I think we could do some damage in this division .

I think he could do a lot worse than try and get roots hall buzzing again with some attacking football and from reports that’s his style .

if we can sign some players , I’m sure he will look for workhorses and tough players similar to his own style of play .
That combination should see us have a decent season and who knows what a bit of confidence , system and fresh ideas could take us

Do you ever get the feeling someone's got it in for you! :Winking: No sooner you start your thread with those words.................than we are in the process of signing Green!:Hilarious:

Well shows MM intentions is to sign attacking players first .....maybe I’ve at least got one thing right in my post , that he’s looking at attacking style of football !

Well shows MM intentions is to sign attacking players first .....maybe I’ve at least got one thing right in my post , that he’s looking at attacking style of football !
My impression was that the embargo doesn't allow for any signings... unless I am mistaken.

I doubt Ron has paid the debt as he would be announcing that ASAP surely?

My impression was that the embargo doesn't allow for any signings... unless I am mistaken.

I doubt Ron has paid the debt as he would be announcing that ASAP surely?
We can 'sign' players but not register them to play until the embargo is lifted.

Just seen on Sky Sports, that the rules seem to have changed. I am wondering if anyone can shed any more light on this.

Would appear that squads in Leagues 1 and 2, will be limited to 22 , of which 8 must be "Home Grown" players. Players under 21 apparently do not count. Sky said that the number will be reduced to 20 for next season.

Not quite sure where that leaves us or indeed whether it gives us an advantage.

So if we was to start the season with no new additions as expected where do you think MM needs to work on the most .

I would try and out defend them. The reason we are in L2 is because we couldn't defend and if we don't improve in that area we will struggle in L2.

Coventry scored 9 more goals than us but finished 48 points ahead of us......Thats because we let in 55 more goals than them.

Last edited:
I don’t disagree but I’m not sure how those 4 fit into a side how MM wants to play

It appears MM sees Goodship and Hutchinson as second strikers to Kelman and Humph.

He played 442 both halves last night with Hutchinson supporting Humph first half and Goodship supporting Kelman.

Both Hutchinson and Goodship seem to be seen as 10s and Kelman and Humph as 9s and it seems that MM sees a 9/10 pairing rather than a 9/9 one.

I’ve been told that those two linked very well the other night against GWR, same as when they’ve been partnered together in training.

That could be a partnership to watch.

I would try and out defend them. The reason we are in L2 is because we could defend and if we don't improve in that area we will struggle in L2.

Coventry scored 9 more goals than us but finished 48 points ahead of us......Thats because we let in 55 more goals than them.

Yeah spot on. Despite a lack of confidence, our forward line wasn’t bad last year. It was easily good enough to prevent finishing 22nd. Sadly, for whatever reason the defence didn’t match it.

I still think we need another CB brought in. Dieng isn’t the answer, and Lennon & White both have injury concerns.... albeit unlucky ones.

The forward options we have will thrive under renewed confidence & lesser opponents - if we can keep them, that is - but right now we’re desperately in need of a CDM destroyer & another tall, powerful CB.

Last edited:
I’ve been told that those two linked very well the other night against GWR, same as when they’ve been partnered together in training.

That could be a partnership to watch.

Which two, GBJ - Hutchinson/Humphrys or Goodship/Kelman?

I really think that Hutchinson, Humphrys, Goodship, Kelman are very good options at this level. Maybe not as much Goodship, but the others are fine players at this level

With no additions my bet is that we will be lucky to avoid relegation.

If we keep the forwards, we will score goals.

But if we don’t invest in some steel* in the middle and at the back, we will continue to leak goals IMO.

We could end up with plenty of high scoring games.

*cue the jokes about the rusting domes at B&L

With no additions my bet is that we will be lucky to avoid relegation.
This is my fear as well. We have the nucleus of a good squad. However we need to strengthen the midfield. We need someone in the mould of McCormack or Timlin. We also need some tall, commanding centre halves. They are the key recruits we need. Any other additions are to add experience and strength in depth. This is going to be a tough season with a lot of games coming thick and fast. We are going to need to utilise a full squad.

I actually think the attack is the least of our worries. The guys we have will thrive in League 2 given some decent service...and therein lies a problem.

I think our defence needs to improve considerably but is perhaps only 1 good signing away from being ok. Our real achilles heel for me remains the central midfield.
Its been our glaring weakness IMHO for 2 seasons now and it still will be if not addressed

Back