• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How good can we be in league 2

you don;t just become a bad player over night , i think its well known that there was a toxic atmosphere around the club and results mirrored it .

Say what you want about Phil Brown , when things were good he had everyone onside and enjoying it , i happened to share a dressing room with the team at meet the blues day and i can tell you it was a proper dressing room and lots of typical bants with Phil and GC involved .

I don;t think we have had a manager since the start of Powells reign that has managed to get the feel good factor back , if and when that happens then i think we could be surprised that these boys can play .

Ive seen enough of :

Demetriou
Huthcinson
Kelman
Humprhys
White
Dieng
Oxley
Elvis

to know they can operate at league 2 level , its just can we get it right behind the scenes to let them perform - i have no more than an gut feeling that MM can make this happen .

All depends on the centre of midfield and defence. We sign two quality players (I don't know if Bridge is one of them, as I cant really remember him much), but with Gard, and Phillips knocking on the door as well we are OK there. Add a big lump of a Centre Back and I think we will do well, and possibly make the play-offs.

If we don't get those 2 players, we will struggle and finish lower mid-table.

On the proviso nobody leaves though, the squad is better than the sum of its parts has been over the last two seasons, and the youngsters are another 6 months older and wiser, but we are missing some experience in 2 key positions.

If we finish mid table which i predict ,then this season will be a huge success, but it does need you the supporters to get behind the lads , ,NO BOO BOYS. Cheer them on even when things arent going well ,let them feel and see you are all behind them.

you don;t just become a bad player over night , i think its well known that there was a toxic atmosphere around the club and results mirrored it .

Say what you want about Phil Brown , when things were good he had everyone onside and enjoying it , i happened to share a dressing room with the team at meet the blues day and i can tell you it was a proper dressing room and lots of typical bants with Phil and GC involved .

I don;t think we have had a manager since the start of Powells reign that has managed to get the feel good factor back , if and when that happens then i think we could be surprised that these boys can play .

Ive seen enough of :

Demetriou
Huthcinson
Kelman
Humprhys
White
Dieng
Oxley
Elvis

to know they can operate at league 2 level , its just can we get it right behind the scenes to let them perform - i have no more than an gut feeling that MM can make this happen .

It's not just about being good enough.

It's about getting the right balance: ensuring you have enough height, enough pace, enough experience, enough youth, enough leaders, enough left-footers, enough strong players, enough flair, enough non-stop runners.

Individually those players can all play at L2 level but individually they can all play at L1 level and we still got relegated.

It's less about identifying good players but identifying attributes you need and attributes you can compromise on.

Dont rate him myself, prefer the boy Mitchell in fact but he's not ready yet. The team needs that balance, i so hope Molesley gets it, of course i'd be happy if Lennon turned into a ball winning leader, but nah ..

I don't see him as a leader but the right person behind him and some confidence would get results......He was already on the boos boys target list for the crime of getting a broken toe then leg whilst making tackles. Then the storm in a track suite, Sol and then another break followed by more Sol.....

That would affect anyone.....The lad just needs a bit of luck and boost in confidence. If not good luck finding the next Dave Cusack on £1500 per week

Last edited:
It's not just about being good enough.

It's about getting the right balance: ensuring you have enough height, enough pace, enough experience, enough youth, enough leaders, enough left-footers, enough strong players, enough flair, enough non-stop runners.

Individually those players can all play at L2 level but individually they can all play at L1 level and we still got relegated.

It's less about identifying good players but identifying attributes you need and attributes you can compromise on.

Agreed , but that is the managers job to identify the above and act to fill these area's.

the last 2 times we got out of this division we had the blend of what you've said , no more highlighted than the below bunch

Flair :

Maher
Gower
M Cole
Jay Smith
Gutteridge
corbett

Grafters :

Bentley
Pettefer
C Wilson
Wayne Gray

Experience/ Leadership:

Prior
Barrett
Dudfield
Jupp

Goalscorer :

Eastwood

The forward three mentioned (Humphrys, Kelman and Goodship) can certainly do very well at this level but let's not kid ourselves - the rest of the squad looks very thin and short on quality. If we're unable to get the embargo lifted we're very likely to struggle and with the current squad I'd be delighted to simply consolidate in League Two this coming season because without additions a second straight relegation is by no means out of the question.

I hope I am wrong, but I feel we are in for a torrid time.Possibly in the bottom quarter.Cant see
us holding on to Hump or Kelman for too long into the season.

as said above, we were the worst team in the league last year. Our defence was shocking, conceding far more goals than just about anyone I can even think of.
Yes we improved in a couple of games at the end, but only a couple. and the scars might still be there. they will probably take a while to fix. so let's be patient. This is a 2-3 year project of getting back up again, rebuilding the whole club

Our squad is nowhere near good enough in my opinion. We only need a minor injury crisis and we would be struggling big time. If nothing changes personnel wise I can see a third successive season of misery. Of course I would love to be proved wrong, but that is my gut feeling.

Our squad is nowhere near good enough in my opinion. We only need a minor injury crisis and we would be struggling big time. If nothing changes personnel wise I can see a third successive season of misery. Of course I would love to be proved wrong, but that is my gut feeling.

The is the same for all L2 clubs.

It was the same under Smith, Webb, Tilson and Brown. If any of those had half the injuries CP did then they would be on the forgotten list.

It was the same under Smith, Webb, Tilson and Brown. If any of those had half the injuries CP did then they would be on the forgotten list.

As I said this is just my opinion, time will tell.

A lot of those injuries were caused by a lack of fitness, sharpness and professionalism that CP introduced to the club that we are still suffering from. It wasn't just bad luck.

Back