• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How Important is fridays game?

Very important! I've just had a look at Sc**thorpe's fixtures and they have 4 away games and 1 home game coming up, 2 of those games are away to Yeovil and Swansea.  
ghostface.gif
 If we can beat these on friday we will be 3 points behind them and I believe if we are to get into the top 3 this season, this month is our best chance of doing this and if we do not beat sc**thorpe on friday I believe the best we can do is the play-offs! I think we should go all out for this game on saturday, we cannot afford to draw and we really cannot afford to lose!
I have a feeling Sc**thorpe will come here and sit back for a while and I think an early goal for us is vital! If it stays at 0-0 till the 60th minute like Darlington I think Sc**thorpe will go for the win....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mighty Shrimper @ Feb. 09 2005,02:29)]Very important! I've just had a look at Sc**thorpe's fixtures and they have 4 away games and 1 home game coming up, 2 of those games are away to Yeovil and Swansea.  
Macclesfield have Cambridge & Oxford away with Rochdale & Bristol Rovers at Home, so Friday is a must win game.

Bruce Shrimpsteen

Born to Shrimp

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mighty Shrimper @ Feb. 09 2005,02:29)]Very important! I've just had a look at Sc**thorpe's fixtures and they have 4 away games and 1 home game coming up, 2 of those games are away to Yeovil and Swansea.
ghostface.gif
If we can beat these on friday we will be 3 points behind them and I believe if we are to get into the top 3 this season, this month is our best chance of doing this and if we do not beat sc**thorpe on friday I believe the best we can do is the play-offs! I think we should go all out for this game on saturday, we cannot afford to draw and we really cannot afford to lose!
I have a feeling Sc**thorpe will come here and sit back for a while and I think an early goal for us is vital! If it stays at 0-0 till the 60th minute like Darlington I think Sc**thorpe will go for the win....
If you leave now, you should make it for Friday night 19:45 with any luck!
wink.gif

Having seen last night's result, it is a must win if we have any ambitions of a top three spot, which doubles as continuing to consolidate in the playoffs... we simply can't let the opportunity slip!!!

Thw Swans have only picked up 1 point from 6 now and Scunny have been blowing hot and cold recently too. If any of these teams begin having a confidence crisis through the lack of wins to which they have grown accustomed, we should be really to step aside and let them drop into our playoff spot.

NO FEAR GUYS! SHRIMPERS... ON THE UP!!!
blues.gif

Agree Friday and the away fixture at Northampton are very very important games, I feel we can win both of these but 4 points would be very acceptable.

How important is Friday's game? Biggest game of the season, IMHO - and I've said as much in my article for the programme...

cool.gif

Seriously - Scunny have lost their last two on the road, and only just squeezed past Kidderminster at home. They're 16th in the current form table over the last 8 games.

Meanwhile, Macclesfield have roared past us with results like 5-0 wins at Meadow Lane, and 3-1 home victories over Yeovil. They seem almost unstoppable right now, and probably have their eyes on that 3rd automatic promotion place as well.

Lincoln, Darlo and Northampton are all hovering too - and all on great runs of form.

This is a big must-win game, with a (hopefully) large crowd savouring some of that special Friday-night Roots Hall magic. Win this, and we send out the message to our rivals: we're still very much in this promotion hunt, and we will not be ousted from it.

Moreover, it will be just the boost the players need before a tough - and vital - away trip next Tuesday in the LDV...

COME ON SOUTHEND!

Matt

I always thought the current run of games was a vital indicator for our season. So far so good. It is so important for us to win on Friday and to get something out of the Northampton away game (I'd settle for a draw) and then to keep going through March.

I've just checked out our run in, April looks particularly dodgy:

Brizzle Rovers (H)
Macc (A)
Borient (H)
Oxford (A)
Yeovil (H)

Some potential banana skins there (especially if Rovers are on a revenge mission for denying them a trip to Cardiff!). All the more reason to get points on the board now.

This is potentially the most exciting run in for years! Hopefully the crowds will be permanently over 6000 for the rest of the season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpergarry @ Feb. 09 2005,10:46)]I always thought the current run of games was a vital indicator for our season. So far so good. It is so important for us to win on Friday and to get something out of the Northampton away game (I'd settle for a draw) and then to keep going through March.

I've just checked out our run in, April looks particularly dodgy:

Brizzle Rovers (H)
Macc (A)
Borient (H)
Oxford (A)
Yeovil (H)

Some potential banana skins there (especially if Rovers are on a revenge mission for denying them a trip to Cardiff!). All the more reason to get points on the board now.

This is potentially the most exciting run in for years! Hopefully the crowds will be permanently over 6000 for the rest of the season.
I will stake my life on the fact that these teams won't fancy playing us even with home advantage. I was talking to some Jack fans on the SOL forum before Friday's game and they were doing No.2's in their trousers at the thought of playing us... and they're comfortably top three. They would have settled for the draw before the game and got what they wanted.

Southend have nothing to fear... we have too much class in the side to worry about these teams!

blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Feb. 09 2005,11:15)]I've just checked out our run in, April looks particularly dodgy:

Brizzle Rovers (H)
Macc (A)
Borient (H)
Oxford (A)
Yeovil (H)

I will stake my life on the fact that these teams won't fancy playing us even with home advantage. I was talking to some Jack fans on the SOL forum before Friday's game and they were doing No.2's in their trousers at the thought of playing us... and they're comfortably top three. They would have settled for the draw before the game and got what they wanted.

Southend have nothing to fear... we have too much class in the side to worry about these teams!

blues.gif
[/QUOTE]
What you have to remember is that these are APRIL'S fixtures, I'd put money on Bristol Rovers, Orient and possibly Oxford's seasons being over by then, whilst Yeovil will surely be promoted by our last home game. More often than not if a side who HAS to get a result plays against a side with nothing to play for they pick up vital points.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 09 2005,10:40)]How important is Friday's game?  Biggest game of the season, IMHO
Last week was the biggest game of the season if I remember rightly to most....

To sum up, Every game is being treated as a Cup Final at the moment and rightly so.

Although Friday to lose would be a massive opportunity missed to gain ground on the top 3, a draw really will not be as bad as it is being made out on this thread either. If you look at all the other teams fixtures around us, they are all playing each other in March whereas without a doubt this month is our hardest.

If we can continue our current form we will catch them up in March whichever way the result goes on Friday.

Einstein

P.S. And before anyone starts saying I am negative and should never go for the draw etc. That is NOT what I'm saying. I'm just saying I certainly will not feel like the seasons over on Friday night should we only get a draw or in fact in the worst possible case lose.

The boys need to prove to us and themselves that they can perform in the big games, and can get the result needed, like last week.

Its no secret that for many years now we have often bombed on the big stage, something that has hindered any sort of promotion charge. This needs to change if we are to achieve our goal this season of at least the play-offs.

I believe this is the strongest team in many ways we have had in probably nearly 10 years, this is why I believe we will finally have something to cheer about this season.

But the boys need our help, so get right behind them Friday and for the remainder of the season and cheer our boys in blue on to promotion!.

smile.gif
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Feb. 09 2005,11:15)]I will stake my life on the fact that these teams won't fancy playing us even with home advantage. I was talking to some Jack fans on the SOL forum before Friday's game and they were doing No.2's in their trousers at the thought of playing us... and they're comfortably top three. They would have settled for the draw before the game and got what they wanted.

blues.gif
So why was Wiggy getting such a hard time about Tilly being delighted with the draw?

Does the 1-1 draw look such a good result in the light of Swansea's defeat the other night? That game showed Swansea were beatable. We'd have been 3 points behind, instead of the 6 we now are.

I'm not saying 1-1 was a bad result, or that it was a bad performance, but if we have aspirations of automatic promotion that draw probably wasn't as good a result as everyone is making it out to be.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Feb. 09 2005,12:13)]I'm not saying 1-1 was a bad result, or that it was a bad performance, but if we have aspirations of automatic promotion that draw probably wasn't as good a result as everyone is making it out to be.
A draw is as good as everyone is making it out to be though.

If we take 4 points off every team then promotion would automatically be ours.

I think too many people are getting a little bit carried away with our 'aspirations'. At the start of this season, I think 95% of us would have taken a top half/top ten finish. This is looking increasingly likely and achievable so in my eyes anything else is a complete bonus.

Seriously... How many bad/poor results have we had recently?

Away: Swansea (D), Mansfield (D), Boston (*L), Kidderminster (W), Wycombe (W), Bury (W).

Home: Darlo (W), Swindon (W), Notts C (D), Rushden (W), Mansfield (*L), Chester (W)

The games we lost, we should have got something out of and you could say we weren't at our best. Notably though, we got a draw at Mansfield away, which is more than the Swansea got last night.

blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Feb. 09 2005,08:47)]but we aint exactly flying ourselfs though!
How did you work that one out? Battling performance for the draw at Mansfield followed by three top quality performances against Swindon, Darlington and Swansea.

Friday nights games is the biggest game of the season so far

I Hope whatever team Steve Tilson puts out they give it 110 percent effort

This is a game we MUST win, I personally feel we can make the top 3 come end of the season and foresee the club having to give part of the North Bank to Southend Fans no way they can turn away money when over 9000 Southend Fans start turning up !!

SO Come On SOUTHEND UNITED Please give it your best boys this is out YEAR !!

Ten Years Of Hurt .....may be finally over..
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Feb. 09 2005,12:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Feb. 09 2005,12:13)]I'm not saying 1-1 was a bad result, or that it was a bad performance, but if we have aspirations of automatic promotion that draw probably wasn't as good a result as everyone is making it out to be.
A draw is as good as everyone is making it out to be though.

If we take 4 points off every team then promotion would automatically be ours.

I think too many people are getting a little bit carried away with our 'aspirations'. At the start of this season, I think 95% of us would have taken a top half/top ten finish. This is looking increasingly likely and achievable so in my eyes anything else is a complete bonus.
Absolutely. A good season is a top half finish, anything more is a bonus.

I'm not saying we should get promoted (personally I think we'd be better off spending another year in the division), but plenty of people not just Wiggy are looking at automatic promotion. The facts are that we are 6 points behind automatic promotion and until midweek everyone had a game in hand over us.

Its hard to make points up at the top, the best way to do it is to beat your rivals. Last Friday was probably our best chance of overhauling Swansea. In terms of getting automatic promotion Friday was a bad result, in terms of achieving our goal of top half finish it was a good result.

How anyone can say they would like another year in this division is beyond me.

If you think by just missing out on promotion this year we will be stronger for it next year I think you are very much mistaken.

Back