• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

galvatron1983

Schoolboy
Hey guys,

Was just listening to a football phone-in and a big issue raised by supporters was the prices of tickets in the football league.

I personally think a "golden price" for a League 2 club would be £10 for adults and £5 for kids. I think that could potentially chuck a thousand plus onto the average attendance at Roots Hall, but I can appreciate that this might not be financially viable with the club where it is money wise.

What do you guys think??

If it doubles the additional fans (non seaso's) then it is worth it....however this will thoroughly displease the seaso's as they have already stumped up the money for the season, and a change like this would mean overall they have paid more than people who just buy a ticket every week.

Good points made...

However, it is not just what division you play in that contributes to the prices - Competition of other clubs, facilities on offer would have a huge impact i guess. The location aspect especially - not that this should be comparable to football but we do pay higher prices generally down here in the South for some things.

With the facilties, at Roots Hall you have seated covered areas, other stands in our league just a few concrete steps with no cover - these kind of stands should have a 'cap' in my opinion.

I pay 9 Euros but this comes down to 4.50 with a season ticket so around £8 a match or £3.50 with season ticket for french 2nd div.
So i think ten pounds is a ok price for 4th div.

I think the standard of teams we're playing is not a big draw for the casual supporter or the "2nd teamer". Last few years we've had the likes of Southampton, Charlton, Leeds etc as a draw. Macclesfield, Accrington Stanley and Torquay etc do not have the same pull and I think £10 a ticket would be financial suicide.

It was £15 at Barnet for standing up and an iffy view. Mostly ruined by some cheap netting. Mind you, the programme (£3) had a stunning advert for a "Barnet FC" coffin, which summed up their season nicely.

£12 probably a fairer price for a terrace at Underhill.

The point about pricing in line with competition to keep the "floater" supporters coming is good one. Southend are pretty much competing with the whole of London particularly the Arsenals and Tottenhams of this world, a tenner would be significantly cheaper then any London team. Even Charlton are £17.50 in League 1.

Hey guys,

Was just listening to a football phone-in and a big issue raised by supporters was the prices of tickets in the football league.

I personally think a "golden price" for a League 2 club would be £10 for adults and £5 for kids. I think that could potentially chuck a thousand plus onto the average attendance at Roots Hall, but I can appreciate that this might not be financially viable with the club where it is money wise.

What do you guys think??

Adding 1000 fans in at the same time you reduce the price of tickets would mean the club lose money.

Ignoring season tickets and the fact that we have junior tickets and concessions:

16 x 5000 = 80,000
10 x 6000 = 60,000

Like you say it would make no sense to do so, the club needs to make more money, not lose it.

The point about pricing in line with competition to keep the "floater" supporters coming is good one. Southend are pretty much competing with the whole of London particularly the Arsenals and Tottenhams of this world, a tenner would be significantly cheaper then any London team. Even Charlton are £17.50 in League 1.

We are already far far cheaper than any going to any london game with travel etc.

£16 is very reasonable and very competitive compared to the rest of league two.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

What do you guys think??

I think you need to study economics, specifically demand and supply and the elasticity of demand. Once you've done that you can carry out a full investigation rather than rely on gut feeling.

That said, as a rule of thumb, the market price is what people are prepared to pay...

The price should be set at whatever price would maximise revenue. The Club tried to head-off a drop in crowds by cutting the price in the Summer following relegation but it hasn't worked so was probably a mistake.

Our prices seem pretty fair, to me.

Adding 1000 fans in at the same time you reduce the price of tickets would mean the club lose money.

Ignoring season tickets and the fact that we have junior tickets and concessions:

16 x 5000 = 80,000
10 x 6000 = 60,000

Like you say it would make no sense to do so, the club needs to make more money, not lose it.

It doesn't make sense to ignore season tickets though. Say we have 3000 season ticket holders (don't know the figure for this):
Then 5000 attendance with 3000 seaso's brings in additional revenue of 2000 @ £16 = £32,000
And a 6000 attendance with 3000 seaso's brings in additional revenue of 3000 @ £10 = £30,000

Going geeky and 'cos i secretly miss doing maths after i graduated, if we can guarantee to add 1000 extra fans by dropping prices, then with 3000 seaso's, as soon as we begin getting attendances below 4667 every week, we'd be better off dropping prices as we'd get greater revenue from ticket sales, not to mention the revenue from the bar and food inside the ground.

The price should be set at whatever price would maximise revenue. The Club tried to head-off a drop in crowds by cutting the price in the Summer following relegation but it hasn't worked so was probably a mistake.

Our prices seem pretty fair, to me.
profit.
:smiles:

I see The Sun are doing their two Football League tickets for (or most likely from) £9.50 offer again. It's advertised on the front page and Anthony Grant is one of the players pictured.

I think you need to study economics, specifically demand and supply and the elasticity of demand.

I think anybody who has studied economics and business would realise that a football club isn't any ordinary business. A "normal" business wouldnt have 90% of it's income go straight into staff wages for example.

Hey guys,

What do you guys think??

Adult & Child family ticket at Roots Hall are currently £16 and an extra child is £3, additional Adults are £13, so pretty close to what you are suggesting and the family sections have been empty all season.
Student & young person tickets are currently £10 & senior tickets £11 anywhere in the ground.

Also cheap tickets might increase the crowds take Bradford for example 10,000+ crowds all made up of £100 season ticket holders, but they have been stuck in this division for 4 seasons now & unlikely to go up this season. When Bradford first started this offer in the 2007/8 season they had 15,000+ people take it up, now even that has gone down to just over 10,000. It makes you wonder if they would be better going back to 'normal' prices getting smaller crowds probably around the 6,000 mark making a bit more money & maybe get promotion?

Mind you I agree that prices on the whole are a little high. I wonder how much it is to see a Level 4 football match in Germany probably 10 Euros I would think maybe even cheaper? Will have a look in a minute.

O.K. I picked the best supported club in Germany at Level 4 & they are Rot-Weiss Essen they average about 6,000. Most expensive seats are 21 Euros and the cheapest standing prices are 8.25 Euros. So the price for seats is about the same as ours, but of course standing is much cheaper. I wonder how much a standing ticket would be at Roots Hall if it was still allowed. Great picture on the RWE website of thier fans standing young & old arms raised, all joining in singing, it seems they have so much more fun at matches in Germany.

Last edited:
Asl any of the fans who have stayed away from RH this season , would you attend future games if (choose 1 of the following)

Tickets were reduced by £5

We were winning and playing good football

The Heirarchy at the club changed.

And I would imagine that the ticket price would come third.

Reducing potential revenue when there is a wage cap based on turnover does not sound

O.K. I picked the best supported club in Germany at Level 4 & they are Rot-Weiss Essen they average about 6,000. Most expensive seats are 21 Euros and the cheapest standing prices are 8.25 Euros. So the price for seats is about the same as ours, but of course standing is much cheaper. I wonder how much a standing ticket would be at Roots Hall if it was still allowed. Great picture on the RWE website of thier fans standing young & old arms raised, all joining in singing, it seems they have so much more fun at matches in Germany.

Has my german got worse or does that literally translate as "to eat red-white"....strange name for a football club.

Having just checked how much it costs to watch blackpool, i can say i am amazed at how loyal we are in this country .

You can watch premier league football for £360 in any stand at bloomfield road. They get to see top flight teams get humbled. What a bargain!

We pay £350 odd to watch southend get beat at home by morcambe.

Having just checked how much it costs to watch blackpool, i can say i am amazed at how loyal we are in this country .

You can watch premier league football for £360 in any stand at bloomfield road. They get to see top flight teams get humbled. What a bargain!

We pay £350 odd to watch southend get beat at home by morcambe.

Yep I'm sure prices at Wigan and some other Prem clubs are probably cheap as well, the original poster did just mention ticket prices in the Football League & not the Prem. I'm not sure how many millions Blackpool get for getting to the Prem but they could probably let all their fans in for free every match & still make a profit this season. Don't forget they only get to see 19 home games we get the delights of 23 games!

i saw braintree play woking on saturday, and that was 12 pound, with an optional pound for the mainstand bit. I thought that was a bit toppy

Back