• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane How the Mighty Shrimpers have fallen......Chelsea 1 Southend United 1

remember both games with pride. In the pub before hand loads of Chelski obviously telling us we'd be lucky not to concede less than 5. Funny they weren't in there when we went back afterwards.

Sawyer as Sub for them and because the game was so tight and they couldn't break us down again after getting the first, he never got on, as I think was the plan.

Then the equaliser and pandemonium. Then Mildenhall's save, and the fianl whistle. Afterwards heading back to the pub the streets full of Shrimpers. I do remember some Chelsea fan in a flat by the roadside giving it a bit through an open window and had the pleasure of being "serenaded" from street level until he shut said window.

Great day, hard to say which I enjoyed most, that or Everton away in '91, that sticks in the memory of performances full of pride too.

Certainly the trip back was a happier one.

Yep, Revell had a golden chance to put us 2-0 up, but Cech made a decent save (although I think he headed it straight at him and he couldn't have got out of the way of it if he'd tried). It was a crazy lack of communication between Mildenhall and Clarke just before half time where a very routine catch with no danger turned into a dropped ball and half volley into the top corner from Michael Ballack to equalise. At 1-1 the second half was always going to be very difficult for us. I think if we'd have hung on until half time we may well have gone on to win that because Scolari was under A LOT of pressure and in the first half, Chelsea hadn't done very much at all.

It was also Joe Cole's last game for them as he went off with what turned out to be a cruciate ligament injury.
Going 1 up and 8000 shrimpers singing "sacked in the morning" to Scolari is a very fond memory.

I have such great memories of this day:

My 3 month old son had a stinking cold so I did what any good new dad should do - pi$$ off to the football. Luckily my missus is a long suffering football widow and knew this was a big game.

Getting to Earls Court for 11am with a big gang of us with Barry Harris banging on a pub door to open up. Can't remember the name of it but we went back there after the game so the landlord certainly got his moneys worth out of us.

Myself and James Welham being very drunk at Earls Court station singing Southend songs.

Francis Laurent turning Ashely Cole inside out.
Peter Clarke scoring from Johnny Herd's throw.
Mildenhall's save.

And my best memory was being on the old Setanta Sports (remember them?) the next day talking to Steve Claridge on the phone about the game - no visual of my ugly mug but my name displayed in big letters with a huge SUFC badge.

And yes I still have the clip somewhere on DVD.

Last edited:
Back