• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane How the Mighty Shrimpers have fallen......Chelsea 1 Southend United 1

And we were looking good in the replay for some time if I remember it right
Yep, Revell had a golden chance to put us 2-0 up, but Cech made a decent save (although I think he headed it straight at him and he couldn't have got out of the way of it if he'd tried). It was a crazy lack of communication between Mildenhall and Clarke just before half time where a very routine catch with no danger turned into a dropped ball and half volley into the top corner from Michael Ballack to equalise. At 1-1 the second half was always going to be very difficult for us. I think if we'd have hung on until half time we may well have gone on to win that because Scolari was under A LOT of pressure and in the first half, Chelsea hadn't done very much at all.

It was also Joe Cole's last game for them as he went off with what turned out to be a cruciate ligament injury.

Being able to give it to the Chelski lot as we scored, truly memorable and walked out of Stamford bridge like we'd won. Little old Southend. Brilliant.
I think that player for player, that Chelsea team was the best team we have ever played in a competitive match. The Liverpool team from 1979 possibly rivals it, but there was only one sub back then and Scolari had a big squad full of internationals. A point at the Bridge against them was possibly our greatest ever result, if not necessarily the greatest ever performance, which was certainly dogged and determined as opposed to exciting.

I did love seeing Laurent turn Ashley Cole inside out, mind...

Yep, Revell had a golden chance to put us 2-0 up, but Cech made a decent save (although I think he headed it straight at him and he couldn't have got out of the way of it if he'd tried). It was a crazy lack of communication between Mildenhall and Clarke just before half time where a very routine catch with no danger turned into a dropped ball and half volley into the top corner from Michael Ballack to equalise. At 1-1 the second half was always going to be very difficult for us. I think if we'd have hung on until half time we may well have gone on to win that because Scolari was under A LOT of pressure and in the first half, Chelsea hadn't done very much at all.

It was also Joe Cole's last game for them as he went off with what turned out to be a cruciate ligament injury.

That's being generous to Ballack, he miscued his shot, it came off his shin - Chelsea very fortunate to go in at half time on level terms.

I have that Chelsea replay game on DVD somewhere as it was live on Sky Sports.

IIRC It was called off about half hour before KO cos a massive blanket of fog came down but then disappeared so game on again

I remember being in the Railway before kick off when the news initially filtered through, we look outside and the fog was lifting.

Can’t believe the away game was 15 years ago. What a day out that was. The scenes when Clarke’s header went in was unbelievable, but the Mildenhall save just after that was simply outstanding.

I have that Chelsea replay game on DVD somewhere as it was live on Sky Sports.

IIRC It was called off about half hour before KO cos a massive blanket of fog came down but then disappeared so game on again
Yes I remember that! We were on Victoria Avenue near the ground when the game off message came out, and it was massively foggy. Miraculously not long after arriving at the RNA club in East Street (about 200 yards past the Fish House) the fog lifted and it was back on! My Dad was massively relieved because he was off on holiday the following day so he would have missed a rearranged fixture.

Couple of things stuck in my mind from the game at Stamford Bridge, apart from Peter Clarke scoring 'that' goal... we saw Anthony Grant on the tube on the way there. He had overslept and missed the team bus, and was worried about having to play against Drogba (that game was one of Granty's best in a Southend shirt), then watching a very gracious Frank Lampard go to each and every Southend player to shake their hands whilst his spoilt teammates all stomped off the pitch in what looked like a massive strop! Then at the replay, where we scored first, and the whole Hall rocking to the 'gonna get the sack in the morning' chant aimed at the Chelsea manager - i think it was Ranieri?

Lugging 1000 flags in boxes by coach and in boxes on the trains, the coaches were a bit far away so fans had to carry the boxes and a couple of boxes by hand on the train so we could give some out at the Liberty Bounds and other pubs on the way to the ground and then Chelsea allowing us to set up a distrubution centre at the walkway to the stands.

It created a fantastic atmosphere for a brilliant away day.

Yes I remember that! We were on Victoria Avenue near the ground when the game off message came out, and it was massively foggy. Miraculously not long after arriving at the RNA club in East Street (about 200 yards past the Fish House) the fog lifted and it was back on! My Dad was massively relieved because he was off on holiday the following day so he would have missed a rearranged fixture.

Couple of things stuck in my mind from the game at Stamford Bridge, apart from Peter Clarke scoring 'that' goal... we saw Anthony Grant on the tube on the way there. He had overslept and missed the team bus, and was worried about having to play against Drogba (that game was one of Granty's best in a Southend shirt), then watching a very gracious Frank Lampard go to each and every Southend player to shake their hands whilst his spoilt teammates all stomped off the pitch in what looked like a massive strop! Then at the replay, where we scored first, and the whole Hall rocking to the 'gonna get the sack in the morning' chant aimed at the Chelsea manager - i think it was Ranieri?
It was Scolari

Big Phil mate - he was under HUGE pressure at that time

Big Phil mate - he was under HUGE pressure at that time

Oh yes It's come back to me now as I'd forgotten about that hilarious "zonal marking" system that Scolari had them playing. I think we all agreed it was the funniest thing we'd ever seen as there were all these highly paid international players standing in their area marking nobody & just looking very confused. 🤣🤣

Remember it well, a great day out! Those great old days of exciting cup runs could be on their way back! 👍
Me too. I especially remember my wife (who came to the match with me) messaging her Chelsea supporting brother (as we were walking out the ground) to see if he wanted me to get him a ticket for the replay.

To say that didn't go down well is an understatement and I made her message him back to make damn sure he knew I had no part in that and she did it herself.

A favourite memory for me. I couldn’t get a ticket until talking to a work colleague at the time.
He could get a ticket and I could go with him. Unfortunately he was a Chelsea season ticket holder. I would have to sit with him in home stand and promise to behave (be quiet).
Needless to say when we equalised I could not contain myself.
Somewhat unnerving realising you are the only one on your feet going loopy in an entire stand.
What a memory!

Reactions: TSG

Cracking strike from Ballack though tbf

My youngest son & me did the Corporate Hospitality package in the West Stand. Very nice, but we were sat in the corner by The Shed, & were unable to see most of our fans in there.
Had arranged to meet a couple of Chelsea fans in The Butcher's Hook pub opp afterwards, & when leaving the West Stand, many of our fans were en route back to Fulham Broadway station.
Some of them thought we were Chelsea fans, & started giving us verbal!. I soon put them right!.
Later we headed off to 'The Goose' pub up the North End Road, to meet other Chelsea fans i know. Stayed there for a couple more hours, great pub with good beers. Can't remember when i got back to Leigh, but it was late!.
Debatable topic, but imo i've always thought our draw there, was a better achievement than beating Man Utd in 2006?.
Reason being Chelsea played their 1st team that day, in their stadium with the majority of fans cheering them on. O.k Man Utd played Rooney, Ronaldo & 4-5 other regulars, but not their 1st team down here, in a ramshackle ground compared to what they were used to?.
I agreed with you up until the ‘majority of their fans cheering them on’

I recall us singing ‘ Stanford bridge is a public library’ throughout the game

Back