• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hypocrites - the lot of 'em

Firestorm

Pedant
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/feb/07/religion.politics

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7882953.stm

Where is the consistency ?

Only in that both individuals were barred from entering the UK.

Otherwise both sides of the argument have changed tact when it comes to wanting the man they "favour" to speak . Can't these people see that in these days of increasing transparency and the greater access to "forgotten" articles more people will recognise their hypocrisy.

Good shout FS - I am sure that you would disagree wildly with Mr Wilders but it's refreshing to see someone who is truly liberal in their respect for freedom of speech. It's also counter-productive on the parts of those who wish to marginalise Mr Wilders - if he had come to the UK with no fanfare and shown his film, who would have cared? Now we are speculating about the appeasement of militant Islam etc etc and this will surely raise the profile of Mr Wilders and bring support to his cause.

Good shout FS - I am sure that you would disagree wildly with Mr Wilders but it's refreshing to see someone who is truly liberal in their respect for freedom of speech. It's also counter-productive on the parts of those who wish to marginalise Mr Wilders - if he had come to the UK with no fanfare and shown his film, who would have cared? Now we are speculating about the appeasement of militant Islam etc etc and this will surely raise the profile of Mr Wilders and bring support to his cause.

To me, it does the causes of Anti Racism no good what so ever if it is seen to be one sided.
Bigotry works both ways, and either people are allowed to voice it or they are not.
Personally i feel that bigotry is poisonous and not allowing the expression of it is , at the moment, more important than freedom of speech. Until it gets to the point where the narrow minded adoption of someones particular view (or the manipulation of those in agreement with that view) will not manifest itself in violence or hatred towards another I can see any other option but to supress its expression. Which I feel is a great shame , but a nessecary evil to avoid too much civil unrest.

However it should apply to all

Back