• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I shouldn't moan after last nights performance

gilbo

Coach
I am praying that Bentley doesn't start and a little guy in Jamal Campbell-Ryce starts on saturday.

I like Bentley but the guy has been wandering in field and not giving any attacking option down the right handside. At times Maher was further over on the right than he was! Central players just don't do it for me on the wing, hell it doesn't work with the national set up.

Also why rush thru JCRs loan deal and then start him on the bench?! And then only give him the last 10 minutes or so. I was expecting him to play more.

But then again should I moan after a secong half performance like that?! And how the hell didn't we score those 2 chances in the 1st half. The guys were awesome last night, long may it continue.
biggrin.gif

got to agree. in the first half we looked lopsided with benno being drawn into the middle a lot. It just shows how much width we lose without gower. Start with JCR next match - he looked very good from the ten minutes he was on

I thought last night Bentley was solid, one a few headers and broke up many attacks. But I do agree his positioning on the pitch didn't give the team enough width. No fault on his part as playing on the wing isn't his style and I commend his committment which was gritty and one of graft.

Thought Benno was central to that win. He drifts inside and adds an extra man to the central midfield helping us to win the midfield. Its all well and good having attacking talent like Freddy, Wayne, Jamal, Jay, Mitchell etc but they need the ball to play with. Guttridge and Maher are both playing very well this season, but neither are especially physical players (despite Gutt's hacking at the shins). Bentley adds some muscle to that midfield, and his runs off the ball create space for the others to exploit.

ps I'm probably in a minority, but I thought some of Bentley's first touches last night were sublime - there was one turn and another first touch lay off which just oozed class. I don't think I've seen that side of his game before.

2nd half Bentley was fantastic, did what nobody else was doing, take the game the Yeovil, i blame him for the big win.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 28 2005,10:01)]Thought Benno was central to that win. He drifts inside and adds an extra man to the central midfield helping us to win the midfield. Its all well and good having attacking talent like Freddy, Wayne, Jamal, Jay, Mitchell etc but they need the ball to play with. Guttridge and Maher are both playing very well this season, but neither are especially physical players (despite Gutt's hacking at the shins). Bentley adds some muscle to that midfield, and his runs off the ball create space for the others to exploit.

ps I'm probably in a minority, but I thought some of Bentley's first touches last night were sublime - there was one turn and another first touch lay off which just oozed class. I don't think I've seen that side of his game before.
Seems we agree, i was even cntemplating giving him MoTM

Bentley did alright but he's not a natural winger, Campbell-Ryce is. He looked keen and hungry when he came on, I really liked the look of him. Him and Cole on the wings is going to be a wicked partnership down the wings I think. Campbell-Ryce's through ball for the 3rd goal was genius.

oo dear huuuuuge quantities of egg on face and mucho Humble Pie me thinks!!!!
smile.gif
you were right about one thing tho " you shouldnt moan after last nights ( yeovil) performance. dont give up your day jobs all you doubters.

but campbell-ryce was injured today so tilson had little choice to continue with bentley on the right.

but as a winger surely he should be on the wing putting the crosses in not in the box putting the ball in theback on the net. but this time i'm glad he did!!!

awww shudup ! when your in a hole stop digging !!! leave the team selection to the professionals ie Tilly n Brush . Are you still saying that Tilly got it wrong today
rock.gif
?? thats how your last post reads !!! Un-effin-believable !

no i'm not saying tilson got it wrong, you are the only one saying that.

i'm saying that as a winger he shouldn't be in the 6 yard box scoring goals. he should be putting crosses in for those that are meant to be in the area scoring.

but when you are a central midfielder asked to do a job out of position you are likely to wander out of the position you have been asked to play in.

just to head off any further arguement you may have in me hating and rating bentley, as you seem to read anything you like into my posts. i think he is great and glad that he scored today, he is a proper box to box midfielder.

Well done Benno, two well taken goals, especially the one from distance...
wink.gif

What was wrong with JCR though? I would have thought he'd make the bench at least...
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gilbo @ Sep. 28 2005,09:04)]I am praying that Bentley doesn't start and a little guy in Jamal Campbell-Ryce starts on saturday.
Ha Ha!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gilbo @ Oct. 01 2005,18:24)]no i'm not saying tilson got it wrong, you are the only one saying that.

i'm saying that as a winger he shouldn't be in the 6 yard box scoring goals. he should be putting crosses in for those that are meant to be in the area scoring.

but when you are a central midfielder asked to do a job out of position you are likely to wander out of the position you have been asked to play in.

just to head off any further arguement you may have in me hating and rating bentley, as you seem to read anything you like into my posts. i think he is great and glad that he scored today, he is a proper box to box midfielder.
You are assuming Benno was actually asked to play as a winger. How do you know Tilly didn't tell him to play wide right but to come inside whenever he could to give us the numbers in the middle of the park?

In fact I doubt you were even at the game, as otherwise you will have noticed that Bentley's first came from a Maher set piece. Being our second(?) tallest player I think he should be in the 6 yard box for free-kicks. I am also more than happy for him to shoot, rather than cross the ball, when presented with an open goal.

i wasn't at the game, no.

but when a team plays 4-4-2 the right winger should be out on the wing. except when there is a free kick, and in which case he should be in the box.

Back