• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
I was talking with DoDtS last night and I think PB has made some pretty decent moves so far.

I love Freddy but I think his best days were behind him. Phillips and Lairdy were players I really liked too but I think time had caught up with Phillips and Lairdy was going to struggle to get ahead of the midfield that is Leonard, Atkinson and Timlin.

Straker is no loss in my opinion. Liked him to a point but for every good (or occasional great) thing he does he does ten bad things. He is not really a left back and yet I am not that sold on him as a wide man. Great athlete and cannot fault his commitment but as a technical player I don't rate him much. Had we wanted to keep him that much I think we would have made moves to do so earlier in the year like we did for Hurst, Bentley etc.

So when you consider you have move Freddy, Laird, Phillips, Straker, Gomis (I am guessing Bennett too) etc all of the wage bill then I reckon we must have scope to bring in some decent players. All the released players were squad players really and I don't think any were going to challenge long term due to ability of fitness for a regular starting slot.

Only thing I might have done different personally was move Paul Smith on but I think we might do that later in the pre-season if we do hold Bentley. Seems an expensive sub to me.

If we can (please god) add Sokilik and Myles Weston to the squad then I think they are both great signings for us. Personally buzzing to see who we get ready for next season.

Agree and also let's not forget that we signed ellis brown who i think is a really exciting prospect. Tricky pacey and one to gradually ease in to a first team spot. If we can also add Tomlin and Appiah and capture Sokalik then i think we will pick up a great deal more points than this season and have a genuine shot at promotion at the title.

I'm with you all the way on the intent, but think I will delay too much enthusiasm until there are actual new bums signed and on changing room seats.

Personally i think PB is not just looking for players who can get us promoted but also hold their own in division one, which to me is sensible.Get the players now , win promotion and not have to get too many signings to be able to hold our own in Division 1 , worst thing we can do is to gain promotion then have to fight to avoid relegation back again.

Agree and also let's not forget that we signed ellis brown who i think is a really exciting prospect. Tricky pacey and one to gradually ease in to a first team spot. If we can also add Tomlin and Appiah and capture Sokalik then i think we will pick up a great deal more points than this season and have a genuine shot at promotion at the title.

Everything you have said. If we sign those 5 players and then who knows who else, (Appiah would be a loan), we can have a real title shot!

Don't forget Barnard with a preseason under his belt may work wonders, just look at the start fred made last season!

Just need to dot the I's and cross the T's now!

Yes, it is very good to see Southend making moves in the transfer market in June. I hope Phil Brown also considers Michael Ngoo. Given Barry Corr's well documented injury problems, I think it would make sense to bring Ngoo as a possible back-up and competitor for the lead striker role.

Back