• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I know Tilly is hoping to bring in some new faces but I was shocked to see the size of Grays Athletic's 1st team squad (in the Thurrock Gazette). Its a staggering 21 and this does not include a couple of players who will be back at some stage from injury. They also have several youngsters who have are being blooded and trialists.

I hope we don't draw them in the FA Cup or LDV because I think we may struggle especially with reduced numbers in our squad.

The only two things that gives me confidence about our squad size is the belief I hold that everyone in our squad is good enough to play a good game at league 1 level (bar unproven Lawson) and that we have several players who will play almost every game in the season (Barrett, Wilson, Pettefer, Gray all spring to mind in terms of natural fitness)

I would say the ideal squad size is a minimum of 20.
16 are involved in any match at all times, this gives an allowance of 4 players spare to cover injuries, suspensions etc.

A feww more would be nice, Stev Angus would be a good acquisition and a few others, namely a Striker and cover for LB!

22 I think would be an ideal squad size, at any rate we certainly need strengthening in defence (left full-back) and attack

I'd say realistically for a whole season you'd want a minimum of 22. A "first" XI and a "reserve" XI. (Quoted because, ideally, all 22 should be good enough to be in the "first" XI)

Then, there's a full team for reserve games/minor cup games as well as the week in/week out league/major cup games.

What people have to remember is that with Hunt, Petts, Gower, Guttridge and Che all being able to cover a variety of positions we are (though not ideal) one of the few sides that can cope adequately with a relatively small squad in this division (barring mass injuries/suspensions).

Our first team squad is big enough as we have cover in every position, except left-back.

Where our squad is lacking is the lack of young players coming through from our youth team to supplement our first team squad.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 19 2005,11:56)]Our first team squad is big enough as we have cover in every position, except left-back.

Where our squad is lacking is the lack of young players coming through from our youth team to supplement our first team squad.
Hhmmmm. I beg to differ. Last Saturday we only just had enough "fit" players to fill the bench (Smith and Goater weren't fit enough to play more than (a very effective) cameo) and that was only 3 games into the season. If we're not to rely on loan players or a huge slice of luck (injuries and suspension), we're a good 3 players short of having sufficient cover.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Aug. 19 2005,08:50)]we have several players who will play almost every game in the season (Barrett, Wilson, Pettefer, Gray all spring to mind in terms of natural fitness)
I hope you had your fingers crossed when you typed that
biggrin.gif

You can only have a first team squad of around 18 players, which is what we've got. Players aren't going to be happy if they aren't getting in the matchday sqaud on a regular basis (and if they are happy then we should be getting rid of them asap).

As I said, what we lack is promising youth team players/first year pros to step in and keep the bench warm when we have a couple of injuries.

I think you need 2 quality keepers and 1 reserve, 6 or 7 defenders, 6 or 7 midfielders and a minimum of 4 strikers. Therefore an ideal sqaud size in my opinion would be between 19 and 22 players.

Don't think you need three keepers. Two is quite sufficient, you can bring another in on loan if needed.

4 strikers is a must, IMO, which is unfortunately where we're short.

Any news on Mark Wright? He played for the reserves. Do the trialists get paid or expenses only? Presumably we've still got a reasonable sized transfer budget.

Three more signings would be good, a striker a must. The Christmas period could take it's toll.

Back