• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If the season started on Boxing Day

Yeah, i'm with you Matt. Carlisle's run-in is tough, and I think, despite a monumenetal effort, they've left it to late.

York can't buy a goal, let alone a point, and at this stage form is everything. Isn't it strange that there's always one team that fall like a stone after christmas. Barnet, Shrewsbury, now York.

Scunny, especially with MacClean back in form should be safe, while I think that Dale and Darlo (who were woeful Monday I must add), will get out of it by a natts chuff.

Its nice viewing this from a relatively safe position though, especially when you consider where we've been this season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 14 2004,14:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ April 14 2004,14:10)]As for who goes down, York look more and more doomed the more you look at it, even if they did pick up a point against Bury last night. Even though they have a game in hand, the match against Doncaster is a no-pointer, but what they have in their favour are games against Cheltenham, Orient and Swansea who have little or nothing to play for.

I've said all along I thought Carlisle would drag themselves out of it, and I still do, and I have a hunch that it'll be Scunny that replace them down there - especially as Brian Laws has just been dramatically reinstated at Glanford Park!!!
wow.gif
ghostface.gif

Gordon bennett, what's all that about then?!

Hmm... Carlisle.  I really think Lincoln will pick up all 3 points at Brunton park this weekend, and I also think that Donny will show them no mercy on the last day of the season - especially if Donny are still fighting for the title.  They'll also want to end their season on a high.

So, that leaves the Cumbrians getting a maximum of 47 points this season, IMHO.  Factor in the goal difference (Carlisle -21, Scunny -1), and Scunny are only 1 point from ensuring that they don't finish bottom.  Then it's a question of the battle between them and York (GD -25) or Dale (-11).  Scunny's decent goal difference is, at this time of the season, effectively worth another point, so (if anything) Darlo are in more danger.

But it's still Carlisle & York to go down, IMHO.  Our win at Brunton Park is looking all the more season-defining - for them and us - by the day.

As for York... well, they've got to try to keep pace with Dale, who themselves are facing Orient this weekend (i.e. 3 points to Dale...
tounge.gif
).  Dale are by no means clear - but I think they'll do just enough; their recent 2-0 win over Carlisle looks ever more significant as the season nears its end.

I think it's between Dale, York & Carlisle for the drop - and I think Dale will squeak home, just.  I also don't think that any of those three sides will make more than 51 points, which is why we're already safe, and why Tilly will be happy to send Gower off to the surgeon in order to get his knee sorted out.

Matt
IMO if its worth anything, i feel that Carlisle will manage o get out of it, and stay up. For me i feel that Dale and York are going down. Dont ask me why, its just a feeling
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ April 14 2004,11:21)]The Third Division from Boxing Day to Now

1. Huddersfield 19  42  +22
2. Northampton 19  41  +20
3. Doncaster 20  39 +16
------------------------------------------
4. Torquay 20  36  +17
5. Lincoln 21  36  +14
6. Carlisle 20  33  +3
7. Southend United 19  30  +6
-------------------------------------------
8. Boston 20  30  +1
9. Hull 18  28  +14
10. Cheltenham 21  28  0
11. Mansfield 20  27  +7
12. Kidderminster 21  27  -5
13. Darlington 19  26  +3
14. Bury 19  22  -1
15. Oxford 20  22  -8
16. Leyton Orient 20  22  -9
17. Macclesfield 20  22  -10
18. Swansea 20  20  -7
19. Yeovil 19  19  -5
20. Bristol Rovers 20  19  -10
21. Cambridge 20  19  -10
22. Rochdale 20  17  -7
--------------------------------------------
23. Sc**thorpe 20  15  -8
24. York 19  13  -20

In conclusion - well done ORM - good spot.

Oh, and that's why York are my favourites for the drop!
Wow, fan-fookin tastic ES - now get yourself a job
smile.gif
- Very interesting reading.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 14 2004,14:26)]But it's still Carlisle & York to go down, IMHO.  Our win at Brunton Park is looking all the more season-defining - for them and us - by the day.
I'd actually say our 0-0 at home to York was probably our turning point in the season. On the back of 3 consecutive home defeats the players looked as nervous as hell at Roots Hall, in front of under 3000 on a freezing Tuesday night.

York hit the woodwork twice and threatened to overrun us, but the likes of Mark Bentley (in one of his first games for us) got stuck in. Fortunately we held on and stopped the rot.

Had we lost that, like we deserved to, there's no way we'd have followed it up with 5 wins and a draw in our next 6 at home.

Hey, if the season had started on Boxing Day, Mark Gower would have been sold before New Year. After Kev Maherdinho's electrric run down the left that day, we found ourselves a new wing star!
wink.gif

Back