• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If we go up, who would you sign

Andyhsufc

Director
Thought this would be an interesting one. If we win the play off final, which three players would you sign for next season (realistically please, no ronaldo or rooney etc!) and a reason for each one.

Michael Morrison - the centre-half from Cambridge. Tall, quick and good distribution (allegedly, as I haven't seen him play myself).

Matt Lockwood - I don't think we'll be able to sign Mulgrew pernamently, so I'd get Lockwood back... A decent left footed taker of set-pieces is a requirement, as both Mulgrew and to a lesser extent, Hammell have proved.

With youngsters such as Hooper (who scored AGAIN) and Masters coming back from loans, and a fully fit Scannell chomping at the bit, I think we would have a better balanced squad than 2006/07. Would be an interesting one...

1. A midfielder in the Bentley mould, except better technically.

2. Competition for Gower/Black - because if we go up Scannell probably won't be ready for the Championship [same could probably be said for Moussa].

3. Big Centre-back to compete with Clarke/Barrett [I would think Zoltan will go out on loan to get some competive games under his belt].

4. Another striker to challenge Walker [if signed] and Barnard - obviously offloading our less effective forwards - the step up for Hooper may be too great at this stage of his career.

5. If Hunt does move on a good utility player.

As for who, I'll leave that one for Tilly.

I'd put Macca in the "Bentley Mould but technically better".

He is lacking in the height department, but is actually quite good in the air considering. I don't think he lacks in the strenght department.

I would depend on who goes down from that division or who goes up.

We would need at least IMO
- 1 Striker
- 1 Goalkeeper
- 1 Centre Mid
- 1 winger
- 1/2 Centre Backs

I know i may get shot down, but if we went up and Col U went down how about Lisbie? 16 goals in a poor side is not a bad return.

Short term signing, wages permitting, Dougie Freedman. He may be 35, but is a goalscorer & would be an ideal sub coming on for Walker or Barnard. Barcham who is on loan to Borient at present, but if Spurs let him go, he would be a great winger for the future. Matthew Spring will be looking for a new team & would add to our midfield & give Bailey & Macca competition.

I would want a Mulgrew on a permanent deal if poss, especially as the Wolves fans don't rate him, another big Centre half (why did we let Richards go?) & a big keeper to give Flavs PROPER competition.

With that kind of squad, I think we'd have a better chance of staying up or ensuring promotion to the CCC if we don't do it this time.

Now who do we let go? Maher, Harrold, Wilson & Collis. I would guess MacDonald would also go, with Ademeno, Liptak & any new Pro's from the Youths going out on long loans.

Short term signing, wages permitting, Dougie Freedman. He may be 35, but is a goalscorer & would be an ideal sub coming on for Walker or Barnard. Barcham who is on loan to Borient at present, but if Spurs let him go, he would be a great winger for the future. Matthew Spring will be looking for a new team & would add to our midfield & give Bailey & Macca competition.

I would want a Mulgrew on a permanent deal if poss, especially as the Wolves fans don't rate him, another big Centre half (why did we let Richards go?) & a big keeper to give Flavs PROPER competition.

With that kind of squad, I think we'd have a better chance of staying up or ensuring promotion to the CCC if we don't do it this time.

Now who do we let go? Maher, Harrold, Wilson & Collis. I would guess MacDonald would also go, with Ademeno, Liptak & any new Pro's from the Youths going out on long loans.

I'd disagree with Barcham, i think he has shown very little an can't see him making the grade in the CCC, on the subject of Matthew Spring though you have made a very good call. The summer sales at Luton will have some bargains, Talbot, Andrew and Spring are all top players.

He is lacking in the height department, but is actually quite good in the air considering. I don't think he lacks in the strenght department.

Would agree, except I reckon the team will need a bigger CM to give us options in some games - although Macca's OK in the air I would definately prefer someone bigger to protect leads, set-piece's etc when needed.

Macca is a substantial upgrade on Bentley, but would not say Macca is as strong.

I forgot that Walker is still on loan, but I think its taken as read that its a done deal.

Lisbie would be a good shout, but I would rather Freedman, who is a real goalscorer.

Whoever we sign, i'd imagine that we may spend a decent amount on staying in the division what with the new stadium on the way...

The summer sales at Luton will have some bargains, Talbot, Andrew and Spring are all top players.

Surely the first 2 cannot be labelled as "top" players. Sorry. Both are tosh, just ask the Luton fans. Quite why Andrew's name keeps coming up as possibly a good signing I really can't understand. We got lucky he turned us down in January. He can't even get in this God awful Luton side! 4 goals this season. Parkin has come back and got 4 goals for them in a third of the amount of games that Andrew has played.

Spring would be a player I'd really like us to sign though.

Andy Bishop from Bury?

Rumour has it Heffernan could be on his way out of Doncaster?

Steve Elliott at Bristol Rovers is a decent no nonsense centre half.

Always liked Michael Nelson from Hartlepool, not just for that goal he scored at Brentford 2 years ago either!

Surely the first 2 cannot be labelled as "top" players. Sorry. Both are tosh, just ask the Luton fans. Quite why Andrew's name keeps coming up as possibly a good signing I really can't understand. We got lucky he turned us down in January. He can't even get in this God awful Luton side! 4 goals this season. Parkin has come back and got 4 goals for them in a third of the amount of games that Andrew has played.

Couldn't agree more. People seem to judge both Talbot and Andrew on the Liverpool game. Talbot gets in the right positions but can't score - ANdrew puts it about but never gets in the right positions. Would not improve the squad one little bit. David Bell on the other hand.

Back