• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question If you could hand pick next season side..

DTS

The Business
If you were given the option of who to retain and who to cut for next season (Forget contracts for the sake of debate) who would be in and who would you lose.

In light of the fact going down to me seems certain I am going to wield the axe. I am not including the kids in my in/outs either.

GK - Might keep Mildy but not overly fussed.

DF - Francis, Barrett and Herd (as cover).

MD - Grant, Moussa, Macca and possibly Scannell

AT - Patterson.

That is it for me. Not a lot to choose from anyway but I think to many players not up for the fight this season.

Last edited:
I would go even less than that tbh. I think Francis, Moussa, Grant and Scannell are the four key players in our squad; the rest are all replaceable.

see i differ for me

musts: mildy barret macca grant laurent (skills will be gd in league 2) moussa baldwin if poss

rest i aint bothered about

Mildy

Francis Barrett Baldwin Herd

O'Keefe Grant Macca Moussa

Paterson Spencer

That's a League Two winning side.

Next season...........

It will be interesting to see who will be with us next year with a number likely to walk or be pushed out.

Of the players last night and the squad overall....

Mildy ~ I think he will want to go
Francis ~ was wanted earlier in the season, possibly too good for Div 2
Moussa ~ too little too late, thinks he is better than he really is and may want to go but the inconsistent aspect of his game will thwart that.
Macca ~ I think he will want to go and there will be interest
Laurent ~ same as Macca, someone will take a chance on him, if not in the UK somewhere overseas, can see him going back to France.

I think we will be left with the following.....

Herd, Barrett, Christophe although he thinks he is a better player than his performances show and may go if his buddy Laurent does, Moussa, Scannell, Sankofa, Paterson and I hope upon hope Spencer.

Grant could be a key man next season so we need to keep him.....

Would like to sign Baldwin but where will the dosh come from?

Of the youngsters Crawford looks good as back up for the strikers. O'Keefe shows promise but need to bulk up a bit in the summer.

So we will need a goalkeeper, two or three defenders at least, two or three midfielders, and possibly one striker. Bare bones but the curent economic situation at SUFC may demand liitle more......

If a bid comes in for Francis, he will go IMHO, he was signed when we went up to the championship, League Two is way below his standard. I think other League One sides will come in for Grant as well.

Mildy - really would like him to stay, not really that fussed there are plenty of keepers out there. He has kept us in games though.
Francis - Please please please stay KEEP
Johnny - He has impressed me the last few games have been a tad dodgey, but definitely worth having as cover if not in the side. KEEP
Barret - He is a definite. KEEP
Pat Baldwin - would like him to stay, maybe it is a possibility who knows? SIGN
Mvoto - based on the performance last night SIGN can't really see him staying, but maybe.
Grant - Without a doubt - KEEP
Moose - Please agree that 2 and a half year deal Ron spoke about at the Q and A KEEP
Macca - Has been on and off this season, KEEP
O'keefe - worth a year I suppose KEEP
Scannel - Was brill before the injury KEEP
Patt - I quite like him, he won't be going anywhere anyway KEEP
Screech - He has scored 4 in about 17 minutes of football definitely a KEEP
Laurent - If we are in league 2 this bloke will absolutely SMASH IT! 40 + goals. If in league 1 then Still KEEP! He is too unpredictable to get rid of him!
Hazza boy Crawford - we will wait to see if he accepts his offer.

Vernon - hmm....maybe? can't really see him wanting to stay at all though.
Sanko - maybe? can't see him going anywhere else really
Christophe - maybe? Feel a bit sorry for him, can't be as bad as we have seen, maybe he is made for success ;)

Sign about 3 non leaguers and 2 / 3 experienced league 1 / 2 players. Get 4 on loan.

We will be having a laugh next season if we get relegated I tell you that for NOUT! And if we sign a few descent players and we are in League 1 and get players like HRK on loan, I still think we will be having a laugh!

UTB

It aint over yet.

Is it hell! Where are the goals and creativity?

Spencer has shown himself to be an adept goal scorer if given a run in the side at this level and if he shows anything remotely like the movement, intelligence and instinct in League Two you can count on him for 15-20 goals.

From what I've seen of him, Paterson needs a run in the side to improve his sharpness but I can easily see him pitching in with around 10 goals a season at that level.

Grant and Moussa showed more than enough creativity last night against a well-drilled, determined Brentford side that have kept sides far better than us quiet all year, and McCormack will probably enjoy playing in a league more akin to his abilities.

I take it this is assuming we're in league 2? Not including the loanees.

In
Francis / Barrett / Herd / Grant / Moussa / O'Keefe / Spencer / Paterson
Out
Christophe / Macca / Mildenhall - nowt against him but we could get some cash for him
Undecided
Scannell / Laurent / Sankofa - could be ok in lg2

I'd keep Mildy, Francis, Herd, Grant, Scannell and Laurent (for his entertainment value). We desperately need to shake up our central defence, central midfield and strikeforce. The team doesn't have a strong spine any more, hence our position in the league.

Yes and will certainly pack Roots Hall to the rafters.

The thing is, if through all of this mess the purse strings are loosened a bit and we can get in some promising permanent signings on reasonable wages and challenge for promotion, then we all know Roots Hall will be back to 8,000+ crowds.

However, if as I fear, the lack of cash continues to bite hard, then we all know we'll be back to mid-table if not relegation scares with crowds of 4,000ish.

Spencer has shown himself to be an adept goal scorer if given a run in the side at this level and if he shows anything remotely like the movement, intelligence and instinct in League Two you can count on him for 15-20 goals.

From what I've seen of him, Paterson needs a run in the side to improve his sharpness but I can easily see him pitching in with around 10 goals a season at that level.

Grant and Moussa showed more than enough creativity last night against a well-drilled, determined Brentford side that have kept sides far better than us quiet all year, and McCormack will probably enjoy playing in a league more akin to his abilities.

Trouble is we are now a selling club, if one of our players is having a good season & scoring goals then come Jan we will sell!!

10 goals from Paterson in a season in League 2 would not be good enough, especially if he played 40+ games. Mind you score anymore than that & we would sell him.

GK - If we could keep mildenhall I would, but he will move on. Kelvin jack would be good for couple of seasons.

Def - Barrett, herd, baldwin if possible.

Mid - Scannell is a must, moussa, grant, cristophe. Macca will go

Str - paterson, screech.

Was having the same discussion on the way back from the game last night.

Go back to our double-promotion winning squad. When the likes of Bentley, Gray, Guttridge, Sodje etc left people where gutted. I can't imagine the same reaction if the likes of JFC, Laurent, Sankofa etc left.

I'd like us to keep Mildenhall, Francis, Barrett, Herd, Scannell, Laurent, Grant, Moussa, Spencer and Paterson. Obviously the likes of Crawford and O'Keefe would be kept as well and I'm assuming all the loan players disappear.

I then would like us to dip into the non-league scene for a few players. Players that are hungry for a chance in League football. The likes of Bentley, Gower, Eastwood all joined us in that way. Just look at Dagenham, on the outskirts of the play-offs on the back on non-league signings.

I'd like us to bring in Billy Jones from Crewe (contract expires in the summer), Danny Green and Paul Benson from Daggers, Daniel Jones from Wolves (contract expires in the summer) as a starter. Then you are looking at at least 2 centre halfs, another keeper if/when Mildenhall leaves, some genuine width on the left hand side assuming we don't bring in Daniel Jones from Wolves. Someone like HRK on loan would be ideal. Then a couple of strikers and maybe some central midfielders as well.

Mildy

Francis Barrett Baldwin Herd

O'Keefe Grant Macca Moussa

Paterson Spencer

That's a League Two winning side.

I normally agree with you on footballing matters, but I think you are way off here unless you mean Ryman League Two.

Defensively that team looks suspect. You've no central defender who is aerially dominant like a Prior, Cort or Sodje. The right-back for all his attacking pedigree is still prone to lapses, although he'll probably be able to rely on his pace to get him out of trouble more often. The left-hand side looks very suspect with the Barrett-Herd combination.

Midfield is probably that team's strength - when not suspended - but there is a definite shortage of width as both O'Keefe and Moussa look to go inside rather than outside. Up front you've two inexperienced, lightweight strikers who will get muscled out by most league two centre-halves. Your most prolific goalscorers - Spencer, Barrett (!) and McCormack (!!!) average at most 4 goals a season.

I reckon that team would finish around 14th in league two. Our 2004-05 team was considerably stronger and we only finished 4th that season.

Back