• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If you think the Ricketts signing is big...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ June 30 2006,14:57)]I read somewhere that Hendrie has a drug/alcohol problem!  It may have ven been suggested by Stan, who was/is a very good friend of his (not sure why he would say that though if he was a friend).  However, the only credibility that I would give to this rumour (and it is not much) is that IF Hendrie was looking to leave Villa, he might chat to Stan, who might send him our way.  Still, very doubtful though.

One thing that I would say though, and this is borne out by todays two signings, some Shrimpers are obviously not yet fully aclimatised to us being in this years championship.  This IS the big league fellas.  Much bigger than the last time we were here.  A player who cannot get regular first team action in the Premiersh!te will now look to the Championship as a natural second option.  This means that the quality is up because there are some very good players in this division.  The only downside here is that there are around half a dozen clubs with parachute payments from the Premiersh!te in their bank accounts.  Trouble is the likes of Wolves, Norwich and Ipswich have lost theirs and that brings them closer to our level.  I truly believe that we can reach mid table this year, particularly after todays signings.  Forget the little club syndrome....WE are here because we deserve to be and intend to stay!!!  COME YOU SHRIMPERS!!!!
i agree with this, and we must remember that the championship is officially the 5th best league in Europe (in terms of average attendence)

Ricketts was a very pleasant surprise but seeing how his career has been you can see why he came.

Hendrie I would be flabbergasted. Theres got to be other clubs who would want him, I dont see there being any chance he would come to us.

Im more than happy to be proved wrong !

he could go to any of the promoted clubs and get in their side easily!

This would be a great signing - true quality in midfield to feed the two strikers - If Ricketts has been signed why not Hendrie - he is not first choice at villa and the way tilly is with players he could be the man to get us to the play offs - my only worry is where does Tilly/Martin find the cash - maybe we will be involving a third party to fund part of the transfer..............

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Winchester Shrimper @ June 30 2006,18:26)]This would be a great signing - true quality in midfield to feed the two strikers - If Ricketts has been signed why not Hendrie - he is not first choice at villa and the way tilly is with players he could be the man to get us to the play offs - my only worry is where does Tilly/Martin find the cash - maybe we will be involving a third party to fund part of the transfer..............
Now we're really getting carried away.

If we're now speculating about involving third parties to fund transfers, why draw the line at Hendrie when we should be looking at the likes of Van Nistelrooy and Glen Johnson!!? After all, they can't get into the first team!

Surely complete speculation.

However, it's always funny at the end of the summer looking at the signings made and seeing how they tend to have made cameo appearances in threads sometimes weeks before.

It's funny though. Even though he has proven Premiership quality, I still wonder whether he would be better than our current midfield pairing. It seems the last season has raised my estimations somewhat!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ldnfatso @ June 30 2006,15:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ June 30 2006,15:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ldnfatso @ June 30 2006,15:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (gilbo @ June 30 2006,14:40)]Not one for starting rumours, but I have heard from my next doors dog groomer's hair brush supplier who went on holiday to Bognor and got drunk with the village idiot and so on....

That will might be signing a midfielder from Aston Villa who has one england cap and goes by the name of Lee Hendrie.

Now he would be potentially, on paper a very good signing.
Stephen Hendry more like.
Or Stephen Hawking.
Yes, he's about as mobile as Lee Hendrie!!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
What a p%&*k!!!! u might up like that 1 day then we'll see who's laughing...
mad.gif

Very unlikely, this one.

IF by some miracle it was true, I reckon I might explode with anticipation of the new season....!

WOW i have always thought that Lee Hendrie is far too good for Villa!!

Quality player, all round skills!!

biggrin.gif

Extremely Unlikely... Premiership standard with a Premier sh!t Attitude. However, if he's looking to get his career back on track, play regular football and is looking to enjoy his football again then Southend United is probably one of the better clubs to do this, especially if Stan's had a whisper in his ear. Wage demands would be through the roof... although Villa may look to do a split-wage deal just to get shot of him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ July 01 2006,11:29)]WOW i have always thought that Lee Hendrie is far too good for Villa!!

Quality player, all round skills!!

biggrin.gif
Too good for Villa and looking for a move!

Amazed the tabloids haven't picked up on his move to Southend then.
I mean, it just seems so obvious now...

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave cusaks nose @ July 01 2006,13:08)]Ray Parlour anyone?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
???
It's certainly been mentioned on here a few times before. Someone on here (a cliquey type I'm sure you understand -
tounge.gif
) met Tilson who laughed long and hard at the rumour.

Definitely happening then!

Back