• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Immigration

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk/

It's official.EU immigrants benefit the UK.

Actually, that's not the case is it?

As Migration Watch points out, Dustmann and Frattini have also shown that, over the longer term, immigrants to the UK have been a burden on the state.

They estimate that between 1995 and 2011, all immigrants to the UK - from outside the European Union and inside - were a net drain on public resources of between £114bn and £31bn, depending on whether a proportionate share of all public spending is allocated to them, or only a share of the public services whose costs increase as the population rises.

The report is purely financial from Dustmann and Frattini and is narrow in focus.

Where is the benefit of increased demand on public services/ Housing etc?

Where is the benefit in depressing wages?

And finally don't we have enough unemployed to fill the positions migrants do.

Shame about the non eu ones.

BBC Radio were reporting from Calais this morning and spoke to a bloke from Afghanistan who had travelled through 7 or 8 countries to get there. When asked why he wanted to get to England he said "because they give you a house and money"

Shame there's not someone in Afghanistan telling him actually that's a myth put about by gangs who make big bucks in smuggling desperate people into the UK.

Shame there's not someone in Afghanistan telling him actually that's a myth put about by gangs who make big bucks in smuggling desperate people into the UK.

True that. The bloke said if he stay in Afghanistan he has the choice of joining the Taliban and probably dying.He said if he doesn't get to England he will stay in Calais till he dies.

Shame these ****pot countries cant sort themselves out.

Actually, that's not the case is it?

As Migration Watch points out, Dustmann and Frattini have also shown that, over the longer term, immigrants to the UK have been a burden on the state.

They estimate that between 1995 and 2011, all immigrants to the UK - from outside the European Union and inside - were a net drain on public resources of between £114bn and £31bn, depending on whether a proportionate share of all public spending is allocated to them, or only a share of the public services whose costs increase as the population rises.

The report is purely financial from Dustmann and Frattini and is narrow in focus.

Where is the benefit of increased demand on public services/ Housing etc?

Where is the benefit in depressing wages?

And finally don't we have enough unemployed to fill the positions migrants do.

But you're not comparing like with like. The BBC was reporting on only EU immigration. Your report needs to split out EU and non EU to be comparable.

I would also imagine that a high proportion of the non EU immigrants are from the Commonwealth, and given that we're head of that, I don't think there is a lot we can do about it. (That's as much a question as a statement...)

As for whether or not we have enough unemployed people to fill positions immigrants take, the answer is obvious. Yes we do, but people don't seem to want to take up these positions. They don't seem to want them. After all, if there were no opportunities people wouldn't come, or if they did come, they wouldn't stay.

But you're not comparing like with like. The BBC was reporting on only EU immigration. Your report needs to split out EU and non EU to be comparable.

I would also imagine that a high proportion of the non EU immigrants are from the Commonwealth, and given that we're head of that, I don't think there is a lot we can do about it. (That's as much a question as a statement...)

As for whether or not we have enough unemployed people to fill positions immigrants take, the answer is obvious. Yes we do, but people don't seem to want to take up these positions. They don't seem to want them. After all, if there were no opportunities people wouldn't come, or if they did come, they wouldn't stay.

Points system. If I'm wrong then I'm on next plane out of this pit and back to OZ.

Shame about the non eu ones.

BBC Radio were reporting from Calais this morning and spoke to a bloke from Afghanistan who had travelled through 7 or 8 countries to get there. When asked why he wanted to get to England he said "because they give you a house and money"

Out of interest, what language was he saying this in?

Do you think this might also have been a factor in him wanting to come to England rather than stay in France?

For all I know he was fluent in French, probably Spanish as well. Perhaps Barna could put him up.

It seems to me that immigration shouldn't be the issue. Freedom of movement is a fundamental aspect of our membership of Europe, I think we'd all agree that skilled migrants from outside Europe are welcome and as should be genuine asylum cases.

If we're getting more low-skilled EU economic migrants than other countries are then it would stand to reason that the benfits system needs to be overhauled. Is that an EU area? I don't believe so.

There was a Romanian bloke on later on who is working but cant get a house unless he quits his job and seeks benefits. He wants to work but needs somewhere to live. That can't be right.

Back