• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Immigration

I wouldn't care if immigration to this country from the third world and Eastern Europe was shown to derive an economic benefit of a trillion pounds. The damage being done to social cohesion is immeasurable.

I wouldn't care if immigration to this country from the third world and Eastern Europe was shown to derive an economic benefit of a trillion pounds. The damage being done to social cohesion is immeasurable.

Social cohesion is down to attitude, I have noproblem with legitimate asylum cases and people who want to improve their livesthrough hard work coming to our country as it offers a better life and betteropportunity for them. Why should someone be punished for where they are born?These people are grateful for the opportunity and we should have no prejudiceagainst them so I don’t see social cohesion as a problem.

I agree with Rusty. I doubt so many would have given up their lives for their country in WWI and WWII in the knowledge the country was destined be overrun with skilled immigrants keeping Brits out of work, unskilled immigrants living off our benefits system and all of them generally coming over here being violent and rude which I find a lot of them to be. I also think fallen soldiers are turning in their graves seeing our schoolchildren no longer able to play certain games or take on any traditions because they apparently "offend" other religions.

Generally I have no real issue with the skilled workers coming over, but they must learn our language, abide by our laws and values, and respect diverse religions as we do.

I think there are a lot of hypocrites on here who support immigration but just don't want it in their back yard. Wait until they get assaulted/robbed by an Asian and you'll see their views change, or get an influx of Kosovan immigrants on their doorstep.

i believe we should be accepting immigrants, but only through a green card system like what is operated in the US. If they cannot demonstrate that they will contribute to our country then they are not coming in. Certainly need to close the door to asylum ASAP.

I agree with Rusty. I doubt so many would have given up their lives for their country in WWI and WWII in the knowledge the country was destined be overrun with skilled immigrants keeping Brits out of work, unskilled immigrants living off our benefits system and all of them generally coming over here being violent and rude which I find a lot of them to be. I also think fallen soldiers are turning in their graves seeing our schoolchildren no longer able to play certain games or take on any traditions because they apparently "offend" other religions.

What games are they no longer able to play?

What traditions can't they take on?

Are you referring to the traditional English Guy Fawkes night being superseded by American Halloween traditions? Halloween is the grey squirrel. Far more tradition is being eroded by US cultural imperialism than by immigration.

Generally I have no real issue with the skilled workers coming over, but they must learn our language, abide by our laws and values, and respect diverse religions as we do.

I think there are a lot of hypocrites on here who support immigration but just don't want it in their back yard. Wait until they get assaulted/robbed by an Asian and you'll see their views change, or get an influx of Kosovan immigrants on their doorstep.

i believe we should be accepting immigrants, but only through a green card system like what is operated in the US. If they cannot demonstrate that they will contribute to our country then they are not coming in. Certainly need to close the door to asylum ASAP.

I genuinely don't get why you can only "live off our benefits system" if you were born here.

If you want to say only those that put in can take out, I can understand the logic behind that position but what about white British born people who never work? Why is it ok for a British born person to live on benefits and never work but someone who wants to come here to work can't? Surely the issue here is benefit scrounging not immigration.

A birth certificate is a form of identification, not a winning lottery ticket.

If someone wants to come here to work, let them. The US' economic dominance is built on attracting those with enough get up and go, enough drive to move countries. They tend to be the entrepreneurial go-getters and far more of an asset than those who sit back and moan about their lot in life. All that green cards do is mean that you can't tax those without them. There's loads of illegal immigration into the US. And for all the rhetoric every few years they have an amnesty and let them become citizens because it's dumb not to.

For the record I support immigration and it's in my backyard. I live in the most ethnically diverse part of the country and it's fantastic. I fully recommend it.

Back