• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Improve my recipe for a Hot Toddy

Pubey

- Generous shot of whisky (currently any will do, but bourbon works well (not normally a fan) and would like to try the honey-infused ones)
- Hot water (off boil)
- 2 cloves (per mug)
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 1 thin wedge of lemon in the glass
- 1 squeeze of lemon

It's nice, but not as good as the ones my dad used to make when we were kids. Might have to phone him up but he's protective over these kind of 'family recipes'

Any ideas, modification? Hot toddies are the only good thing about suffering with a cold. My missus and I have both been suffering and I've been on Hot toddy-making duties all week.

Anyone tried mixing 2 paracetamol in to make it a Hot Toddy Lemsip?

I'm always loathed to chuck cinnamon sticks into things willy-nilly because they're expensive. Will try star anise though, good shout.

Go into an Asian shop if there's one near you. Herbs & spices are so much cheaper than the supermarkets.

I'm always loathed to chuck cinnamon sticks into things willy-nilly because they're expensive. Will try star anise though, good shout.

Not to mention the classic B side to 'Back Home'

[video=youtube;kEehKUCHGHk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEehKUCHGHk[/video]

Try sticking in some Chinese 5 spice powder, cheap, easily available, and filled with the sort of things you're thinking of adding anyway - only a pinch though, it can be powerfully flavoured.

Not to tempt you away from your original toddyness, but if you're set on drinking whiskey (strictly for medicinal purposes, naturally) then a scotch (cheap will do, but maybe not bourbon) mixed with ginger wine (Stones for preference) is absolute dynamite, and always my winter tipple of choice. If it's to cure a cold, then, what the hell, bung in a slice of lemon.

When my wife and I were on honeymoon we both came down with colds. The resort that we stayed at had their own recipe for a hod toddy:

Hot Water
Lemon
Honey
Ground Ginger
Chili Powder

It was amazing.

Not to tempt you away from your original toddyness, but if you're set on drinking whiskey (strictly for medicinal purposes, naturally) then a scotch (cheap will do, but maybe not bourbon) mixed with ginger wine (Stones for preference) is absolute dynamite, and always my winter tipple of choice. If it's to cure a cold, then, what the hell, bung in a slice of lemon.
My dad was always a whisky mac drinker which is, of course, what scotch and ginger wine is called. I've always sworn by ginger wine for any kind of throat ailment as it anaesthetises it, however, I bought a bottle of ginger wine recently and it doesn't have any of the kick it normally does. Now, I did pick this up in a Savers, so don't know if that's a Savers induced change or whether it's across the board!

Back