• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Instant bounce back or sustainable future

Which option from the below would you prefer for Southend going forwards?

• An immediate return to the FL funded by a significant Ron investment but nothing at the club changes

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • A longer stint in the NL that involves significant changes and restructuring to give fans more say

Votes: 47 66.2%

• Total voters
Can we not have both.

Investment by Ron to get out of the league at the first time of asking as well as the changes made to the club to ensure it is sustainable for the future (CEO, club secretaries, due diligence on players being completed to ensure no medical histories that are going to occur the minute they set foot at Boots and Laces)

One year contracts with options at the end if we are promoted / if we stay in the same league or dare I say get relegated

Can we not have both.

Investment by Ron to get out of the league at the first time of asking as well as the changes made to the club to ensure it is sustainable for the future (CEO, club secretaries, due diligence on players being completed to ensure no medical histories that are going to occur the minute they set foot at Boots and Laces)

One year contracts with options at the end if we are promoted / if we stay in the same league or dare I say get relegated
That would work for me!

As long as we go down with the attitude of trying our hardest to get out the division.

Going down with the fancy dan 'we're too big for this league' attitude will be the worst! We'll get massively found out, and become the prize scalp for all the other teams.

What we need is a Brett Angell type of target man who can handle the rough and tumble of the NL. It won't be pretty, but as long as he weighs in with 20+ goals we'll be ok!

I’ll take both if Phil brown stays and put together a good team we will be back in the football league

Personally I don't see the two options as the only options. I also don't see why an immediate return has to be linked to nothing changing. In my view, that has only been done to make the choice harder, and point you towards option two.

So, given that, I would go for option 1 on the basis that we won't seen any significant change over one season anyway and at least we'd be back in the league with a bit of momentum behind us.

Personally I don't see the two options as the only options. I also don't see why an immediate return has to be linked to nothing changing. In my view, that has only been done to make the choice harder, and point you towards option two.

So, given that, I would go for option 1 on the basis that we won't seen any significant change over one season anyway and at least we'd be back in the league with a bit of momentum behind us.
I agree, these are most definitely not the only options and in fact they are possibly the most unlikely as well. In fact I would most likely expect no change along with no investment from Ron!

I selected these diverse options to see what the opinion of fans on this forum is in terms of sustainable vs status quo. My reasoning is that there is the protest this weekend which is framed as an attempt to gain greater clarity and sustainability but if fans are prepared to accept Ron throwing money at the team to get them up without any change then I thought that would be an interesting point of contrast. At the moment I can see roughly a 2 to 1 favour split in favour of change vs an immediate return which is actually lower than I would have expected.

Would giving fans more control necessarily lead to a better run club?
No, the british public has proven time and again that they shouldn't be trusted to make decisions, we prefer to have a laugh hence boaty mcboatface.

If it was up to us the new stadium would be called something like the Mark Beard ground

never mind the football at present .One game left in the EFL .Then its on to next season .First of all the club needs Ron martin to go back to being a chairman and let a CEO sort out the football side of running the club .Use Stans contacts to invest in the club as he stated he knew backers with the money to invest if Ron allowed .Let us hope all this comes into being .And Southend united can grow again .

never mind the football at present .One game left in the EFL .Then its on to next season .First of all the club needs Ron martin to go back to being a chairman and let a CEO sort out the football side of running the club .Use Stans contacts to invest in the club as he stated he knew backers with the money to invest if Ron allowed .Let us hope all this comes into being .And Southend united can grow again .

Not sure Stan has said that. My understanding is he can introduce people but its up to us fans.

If I have read that wrong then happy to be corrected.

Back