• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
Following my abortive attempts to set up an interview with Efe Sodje (although I'll have another crack shortly), I thought I would delegate the task of conducting the next SZ interview to someone who is far funnier and better at writing than I am - namely the Zone's very own slipperduke.

smile.gif

For his first interview, Lord Slipper of the Duke has managed to arrange an interview with former Shrimper, and erstwhile wing wizard Adrian Clarke.

clarke.jpg

For our younger members, Clarke was with us between 1997 and 2000 - not one of the Blues' happier periods, sadly.  A profile and all the stats are naturally to be found on Robin Michel's excellent SUFC Database - Adrian Clarke page.

That appears to be the only online photo of Clarkey in a Southend shirt, although plenty of other gurning pics of him were found on the web:

adrianclarke.jpg

adrianclarke.jpg

adrian_clarke.jpg

CLARKE_Adrian_19951226_GH_R.jpg

The latter photo prompted me to ask the question: was his hairstyle influenced by the 90s boyband movement? If so, which member of uber-boyband Take That did Clarkey most identify with, and why?

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

So folks, get asking those questions...

Matt

When you arrived at Southend after leaving Arsenal did you notice much difference between the managerial styles of Arsene Wenger and Alvin Martin?

Did the team think they could seriously challenge in Div2 in 97/98 & if so, why did it all go so horribly wrong?

Was there any dressing room aggro in that season? E.g. when Sada N'Diaye got sent off at Brentford?

Did you think the French foreign legion of Sada N'Diaye and Regis Cobault would make a similar impact on div 2 as Petit and Viera did upon the Premiership?

If it was a choice between Eliza Du Toit or Gemma Anderson, who would you pick?

Sorry, wrong forum
tounge.gif

Whilst in Devon providing expert analysis of Plymouth v SUFC for BBC Radio Essex you stated that the Cornish pasty you ate at half time 'was the best I have ever had'.

Do you still stand by that statement?

Would you like to be our next manager? Oh, and how did being a journalist for the Echo compare to playing? For what its worth Adrian, I actually thought you were one of very few shining lights throughout our barren years!

How many times a week did Andy Harris mention that he had 10 GCSEs at C grade? Did he ever make up his mind whether he was going to play for England U21 or the South African or US national teams?

Was it intimidating playing alongside such greats of the game as Ben Lewis, Keith Dublin and Simon Livett?

What is the capital of Costa Rica?

Why did you only play 58 times for us in 3 years?

Who was the worse player you were dropped in favour of?

What are your views on prevention of deforestation in peninsular Malaysia?

Did you really score 8 goals for us?

Did the players play badly against Doncaster in the FA Cup on purpose in order to get rid of Alvin Martin?

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

You must have trained with some of the all-time greats: Bergkamp, Ian Wright, Tony Adams, Philip Gridelet, David Seaman. Who was the best and why?

I was at the 5-0 defeat at Carlisle. How many more goals do you think we would have conceded had Keith Dublin been available that day?

When you were working at the Echo, did Howard Southwood teach you how to report on games without actually watching them?

What would be the all-time worse Southend XI you played with? You can only have Keith Dublin in one position. As a clue you played with the following players: Southall, Hails, Dublin, Harris, Lewis, Livett, Maher, McGavin, Roach, N'Daiye.

And the best XI? Actually better make it a 5-a-side team - Royce, Jobson, Roget, Marsh, Thomson with yourself as a sub?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Oct. 10 2006,19:15)]When you arrived at Southend after leaving Arsenal did you notice much difference between the managerial styles of Arsene Wenger and Alvin Martin?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Could you ever have imagined when playing alongside him that Kev Maher would still be here in 2006?

Back