• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is anyone else getting worried?

shrimperian

Coach
Now I fully accept that this may well be down to my own paranoia but I am beginning to feel a little uneasy at recent developments (or perhaps lack of them) at Roots hall.........

Firstly, we have the incredible situation regarding the management team
Secondly, we have an apparent feeling of apathy and lack of effort from many of the first team players during matches
Thirdly, we have not heard from Ron Martin or any member of the Board this season, which seems particularly odd given the poor results
Fourthly, the refusal by the Club (we assume it was mandated) to not appear for a post match press conference after the Leyton Orient match
Fifthly, the plans for the new stadium are delayed once again, perhaps indefinitely, apparently with the clubs agreement
sixthly and perhaps most relevant, the Football League have announced new rules will be coming into place with regards to financing of member clubs

If you connect all of these dots, it might appear that the club is on an unsound footing, cannot afford to pay wages (again) leading to lacklustre performances from both players and management, cannot afford to commit to the finer details of the stadium plan and may well fall foul of the incoming regulations regarding solvency to remain a member of the league!

Yes some of this is leaping to conclusions and it is ALL conjecture but, it is possible and the silence from the club since Ron's return from holiday is deafening! Even Chris Phillips now seems to have gone to ground..........

I for one, am beginning to get a bit concerned

Going on Ron's previous behavior around manager appointments he will have to go through the interview process , im pretty sure we are not on many managers lists at the moment, we are bottom of the league , a long list of injuries and a recent record of managers passing through ( Powell was under 2 years and Bond under 6 Months )

We have to be realistic here and trust that he will put right what has unfortunately been a poor appointment.
If it is someone like Barrett , he probably doesn;t have a backroom team like other managers that can move clubs and take the existing backroom staff with them

I am more worried that he isnt actually going to get rid of him until after the next 3-0 honking at home to Fleetwood!

Is there any possibility that Ron is having one to one’s with the playing staff to try and fathom out what is going on?
A consensus amongst the players on one or more issues may give him a better idea how to act, if , for example it transpired that they liked the current backroom staff, but felt that too much was being asked from them re complicated tactics, he may well take that to Bond and give him the opportunity to change things...

It's not unusual for Ron / the club to go quiet for long periods, historically he tends to say more when it's good news. Suspect the non appearance of management to speak to the press on Tuesday was little more than hiding as Bond + co knew they'd get a rough ride and were struggling to put any positive spin on things.
Regarding Fossetts, although I'm bored with the whole saga and think it may never be built, however reading the Echo article it seems like its the Council that want more time to consider it rather than the club asking for a delay.
Club finances have always been precarious, it looks to me from the outside that the Chairman's web of companies is continually doing financial 'smoke and mirrors' tricks to keep things afloat, or at least ticking over. I'd probably think we're not one of the most financially stable clubs in our League and I think it's only right that the League look more closely at how clubs are being run. So, it's not great, I agree, but not sure it's jump to conclusion time. one thought, Ron is all bout the money, if crowds drop and revenue declines then I'm sure he'll take action, still think Bond is on borrowed time.

Is there any possibility that Ron is having one to one’s with the playing staff to try and fathom out what is going on?
A consensus amongst the players on one or more issues may give him a better idea how to act, if , for example it transpired that they liked the current backroom staff, but felt that too much was being asked from them re complicated tactics, he may well take that to Bond and give him the opportunity to change things...

That’s too sensible answer Firestorm for many who feel Bond is the Antichrist

Don't fret shrimperian. Things could be much worse...Boris could be our manager. It'll work out fine. For SUFC. But for the UK, you'd have to be mad to predict that one!

Think all will come good - we are just getting impatient and I am sure more than anyone of us Mr RM is wanting this resolved ASAP as poor performance = lower attendance = less revenue = questions regarding the need for a 21,000 Stadium

Last edited:
Why not just stay at Roots Hall ...turn the pitch East/ West .Enlarge the South
Stand width wise.Use the existing West as a goal end ,and plan 2 new stands fit for today.Would leave some land for development. to help finance
Then put as many crappy homes on Fossetts as possible which Southend Council would rubber stamp overnight and finance RH with it .
11 years of our lives have been wasted on a development SC have never wanted as it's too state of the art and prestigious for a run down hole of a town,and a chairman who clearly hasn't the financial muscle to complete it if given the go ahead..

I am a little worried as indicated in the initial post. I didnt like the look of the HMRC order that a fellow shrimper kindly posted on here.. Normally there is some info from the club or the media to affirm we had paid up. However this seemed different with a few million quid being sort by a ?Contractor, it seems to have failed mainly because of an administrative error in the submission. Its been very quiet on this HMRC issue and I wonder what would happen if the applicant came back to have another go? I know nothing about this one really, but it did seem rather different to the usual ones about us paying our due tax bill, so has caused me to be a little more concerned.

Maybe theres a bright spark among us with a legal background who can put my feverish mind at ease on that latest HMRC appearance for Ron

Why not just stay at Roots Hall ...turn the pitch East/ West .Enlarge the South
Stand width wise.Use the existing West as a goal end ,and plan 2 new stands fit for today.Would leave some land for development. to help finance
Then put as many crappy homes on Fossetts as possible which Southend Council would rubber stamp overnight and finance RH with it .
11 years of our lives have been wasted on a development SC have never wanted as it's too state of the art and prestigious for a run down hole of a town,and a chairman who clearly hasn't the financial muscle to complete it if given the go ahead..

No point in flipping the whole plan at this stage because it might take another 11 years.

The thing is, when your dealing with a group of self serving little nobodies who refuse to give you a deal.....Then vote in someone who can.....Its simple.

There is definitely a vibe that things aren't right at the club. It also feels like it's more than just problems on the pitch. Hope I'm wrong, but it just feels like that.

How many times are people going to keep bringing up the possibility of redeveloping Roots Hall.
It doesn't solve any of the club's long term financial issues - I've gone into this on so many occasions on the FF forum, yet people still keep talking as if improving the stadium is the key to all of this - the stadium per se is meaningless in the greater scheme of things.

No point in flipping the whole plan at this stage because it might take another 11 years.

The thing is, when your dealing with a group of self serving little nobodies who refuse to give you a deal.....Then vote in someone who can.....Its simple.

Only the someone you think can,can't.QED.

Back