• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Is it just me?

Somerset Ex-TTB

Members
Is it just me or is anyone else getting slightly worried about the lack of anything coming out of the club?

Yes they are interviewing for a new manager, but other clubs have sacked and hired managers, are making signings and are back in training.

The season starts in 6 and a half weeks. That's a short period anyway, even with a normal lay off, but players haven't had a competitive match in 18 weeks, and it will be close to 6 months by the time the season kicks off.

Poor Chris Phillips has had to virtually print stuff that nobody cares about just to fill some column inches, and has a piece on almost every CV on Ron's desk. Other than John White signing a new contract there has been nothing.

There is no news on season tickets
There is no news on a new manager
There is no news on pre season training
There is no news on paying off HMRC
There is no news on signings
There is no news on the planning application

We have a very good crop of youngsters at the club.

Kelman, Bwmono, Hutchinson, Gard, Phillips, Clifford should all be regular starters, as well Mitchel-Nelson, Kinali, Egbri, Taylor and Rush will be there or thereabouts.

A sprinkling of 3 or 4 good senior players and we should be challenging for promotion from League 2, especially with other clubs suffering financially and having to trim their squads. however by the looks of things we could be hampered by a slow start, a transfer embargo, no signings, lack of fitness, and match sharpness, and not be able to recover.

Something has got to happen soon. I am hopeful that 1st August will be a watershed, and everything will happen at once, but I am increasingly concerned, and I am normally optimistic!

With regard to season tickets, not much point doing anything with them until we know for sure when fans will be allowed back in to grounds. As for the other stuff, that needs sorting ASAP!

I said quite a few weeks back there will be no signings and no new manager just yet as the club is absolutely potless. RM has found a little bit of money as the training ground is open next week, and the players are in for training. Whether the players and staff are paid is another matter. When he finally gets the up front cash injection related to Fossetts Farm and the Roots Hall developments, then things can start moving. I'm sure he knows who he would like as the next manager by now, just this cash situation getting in the way. Trucking is right about the season tickets.

No need to panic. No fans allowed in grounds until October anyway, I'm more interested in iFollow news.

The transfer window is extended, no need to panic on players, there will be loads available.

Ron will sort HMRC, he always does and always will, he's not going to let that come between him and the ultimate prize.

We will be fine, no problem.

Unfortunately we are waiting for the EFL/Government to tell clubs what they can and can't do.Regrettably this process is very slow.I guess the ticket office and club staff wont return until off furlough.But I agree we should know who will be in the hot seat guess Ron is doing interviews,he needs to get it right this time after all the other poor appointments so reluctantly happy to wait but not too long.

Is it just me or is anyone else getting slightly worried about the lack of anything coming out of the club?

Yes they are interviewing for a new manager, but other clubs have sacked and hired managers, are making signings and are back in training.

The season starts in 6 and a half weeks. That's a short period anyway, even with a normal lay off, but players haven't had a competitive match in 18 weeks, and it will be close to 6 months by the time the season kicks off.

Poor Chris Phillips has had to virtually print stuff that nobody cares about just to fill some column inches, and has a piece on almost every CV on Ron's desk. Other than John White signing a new contract there has been nothing.

Kelman, Bwmono, Hutchinson, Gard, Phillips, Clifford should all be regular starters, as well Mitchel-Nelson, Kinali, Egbri, Taylor and Rush will be there or thereabouts.

A sprinkling of 3 or 4 good senior players and we should be challenging for promotion from League 2, especially with other clubs suffering financially and having to trim their squads. however by the looks of things we could be hampered by a slow start, a transfer embargo, no signings, lack of fitness, and match sharpness, and not be able to recover.

Something has got to happen soon. I am hopeful that 1st August will be a watershed, and everything will happen at once, but I am increasingly concerned, and I am normally optimistic!
No it's not just you........I have been thinking the same but I guess it's just the way our club is managed by just one man ! Ron is a law unto himself unfortunately just hope he does not disappear off on holiday at a crucial time like he did last year........ Maybe some positive news on Friday or Saturday, we can but live in hope.

Excellent post, although two points I wanted to make.

1 - Don’t forget we’ve also got a suspended points deduction hanging over our head, which doesn’t expire until March.

2 - I don’t see us as promotion candidates. Not even close

Ron will sort HMRC, he always does and always will

What makes you so confident though?

He couldn’t get it sorted out in January, in order to register those two Macc lads.

Neither could he get it sorted in April, when it was again, deferred.

Latest hearing was last week, which we all expected to be resolved. Ummm...

Now it’s all eyes on September, which will ultimately decide our season.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me again and again and again and again....

RM has found a little bit of money as the training ground is open next week, and the players are in for training.

I would expect them back next week too.

However, I’ve just text one of the players, and as of this afternoon, they still haven’t been told a date to return yet.

What makes you so confident though?

He couldn’t get it sorted out in January, in order to register those two Macc lads.

Neither could he get it sorted in April, when it was again, deferred.

Latest hearing was last week, which we all expected to be resolved. Ummm...

Now it’s all eyes on September, which will ultimately decide our season.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me again and again and again and again....

I felt there was more to than just the money. Once we lost at Bolton and drew with Tranmere etc it was all over.

No doubt Ron by then knew the same stories as me and you so decided, quite rightly, not to back Sol in any way.

I felt there was more to than just the money. Once we lost at Bolton and drew with Tranmere etc it was all over.

No doubt Ron by then knew the same stories as me and you so decided, quite rightly, not to back Sol in any way.

Agree completely on that aspect.

But the fact is, the embargo was still in place, so even if he wanted to back Sol, he couldn’t.

Just reading that it's Brentfords last game at Griffin Park tonight. Another one with a new ground next season ? :Angry:

A sprinkling of 3 or 4 good senior players and we should be challenging for promotion from League 2

I know you said you were optimistic but this is maybe on another level. All we need to worry about next season (if it even happens) is staying up. Yes, some of the youngsters are exciting and decent but IMO there's no way we'll be challenging next year. I'll happily eat humble pie but even with 4 new signings, the squad will not be good enough.

Not all of the youngsters are good enough and may not make it and over a long hard season and playing against some league 2 lumps of defenders etc, we'll be going through tough times.

That's even if we sign any players at all considering who would want to come here in the current non payment and lack of squad. We'll probably lose a few players yet who believe they're too good for league 2 (which they're not).

Excellent post, although two points I wanted to make.

1 - Don’t forget we’ve also got a suspended points deduction hanging over our head, which doesn’t expire until March.

2 - I don’t see us as promotion candidates. Not even close

In the current situation, how can anyone say whether or not we will be promotion candidates. We have no idea of the strength, or otherwise, of the other teams in League 2 and we have no idea of how strong we will be. We could well make a sensible managerial appointment and then go on to sign just the right players to blend with our youngsters!! On the other hand............

I would expect them back next week too.

However, I’ve just text one of the players, and as of this afternoon, they still haven’t been told a date to return yet.

I'm not guessing the training ground will be open next week, I've been told it will. So obviously players will be returning. Will it be just the youth, or/and first team squad, we shall see.

Back