• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

is it the Moussa effect -

Rayleigh boy

Director⭐
ok ok ok - I know a lot of peeps on here are very sceptical (whats the all the fuss about? etc.) but he did get us back in the game against Carlisle and was
showing a little bit of form last night ......

including crossing with both feet -

And has played every game this season - And is only 20 years old ....

never mind that I thinks hes the best quality we have in the squad - hes now also our top scorer ......

Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooose

Excellent performance from Moussa last night, and carried on after his performance against Carlisle. His first goal was a fantastic strike, and his second was a side of Moussa's game I didn't think was there.

I've always had a question mark over Moussa. I think he is so rated on this boards because he came through the youth set up, like Johnny Herd. I wonder if he came from elsewhere whether he'd have half the amount of fans he does. One of the big question marks for me was his end product. As a winger you are judged by your assists, and I'm not convinced Moussa has that many. If you aren't creating chances for your team mates, then you need to be scoring, and until recently he had stopped doing that. Gower didn't get bundles of assists, but chipped in with 7-10 goals a season.

Moussa is definately a man in form, but the ******* cost me two curries last night.

Been wondering if Moussa could play second striker in Freedman role. He aint a left winger but lines up there, might be the goalscorer we are looking for, or maybe not.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that I've long been an admirer of Moussa, and last night he showed exactly why.

Nobody else in the squad moves the ball around with the precision or pace that Moussa does and, in that respect, he's pivotal to any move we have going forward. I don't think it's a coincidence that we've picked up results as his form has picked up, and we're seeing the most from Scannell because of him. He gets the ball to Scannell quickly and efficiently, allowing Damien the time to maneuver and run at the full back.

His first last night was a brilliant piece of technical skill to connect with the ball at that height without having it balloon over the bar, and his header was cushioned to perfection.

Excellent performance from Moussa last night, and carried on after his performance against Carlisle. His first goal was a fantastic strike, and his second was a side of Moussa's game I didn't think was there.

I've always had a question mark over Moussa. I think he is so rated on this boards because he came through the youth set up, like Johnny Herd. I wonder if he came from elsewhere whether he'd have half the amount of fans he does. One of the big question marks for me was his end product. As a winger you are judged by your assists, and I'm not convinced Moussa has that many. If you aren't creating chances for your team mates, then you need to be scoring, and until recently he had stopped doing that. Gower didn't get bundles of assists, but chipped in with 7-10 goals a season.

Moussa is definately a man in form, but the ******* cost me two curries last night.

I think the reason Moussa is so highly rated on here is that he's always had a touch of quality about him. It's difficult to explain precisely, but you can normally tell within a couple of touches if a player has that little bit of class about them: it's something in their first touch, their technique and the way they are comfortable with the ball at their feet, almost at one with it, and how it then gives them time.

Moussa has it. Gower had it, Eastwood had it, Mulgrew who we talked about on another thread definitely had it and you could tell within his first couple of touches that he had a bit of class about him. Grant doesn't quite have it but does a passable impression of it at times, McCormack definitely doesn't have it, Christophe, Scannell, Spencer etc etc all the rest of the side don't have it. Even in his brief appearance you could see that Crawford didn't have that extra bit of quality about him. Their first touch isn't quite crisp enough and whilst (JFC aside) there may be nothing particularly wrong with it, it is workmanlike rather than quality. You can still forge a good career out of it - Mark Bentley being a prime example of someone who didn't have any class on the ball but was a great player for us - but they are unlikely to go as high in the game.

By the same token, having that touch of class doesn't ensure you do have a good career, but it's definitely something to build on. Of the current lot Moussa is the only one who IMHO looks as if he has that extra bit of quality on the ball about him. That's what I see in him, and I suspect that is what the others who rate his talent see in him.

I think the reason Moussa is so highly rated on here is that he's always had a touch of quality about him. It's difficult to explain precisely, but you can normally tell within a couple of touches if a player has that little bit of class about them: it's something in their first touch, their technique and the way they are comfortable with the ball at their feet, almost at one with it, and how it then gives them time.

Moussa has it. Gower had it, Eastwood had it, Mulgrew who we talked about on another thread definitely had it and you could tell within his first couple of touches that he had a bit of class about him. Grant doesn't quite have it but does a passable impression of it at times, McCormack definitely doesn't have it, Christophe, Scannell, Spencer etc etc all the rest of the side don't have it. Even in his brief appearance you could see that Crawford didn't have that extra bit of quality about him. Their first touch isn't quite crisp enough and whilst (JFC aside) there may be nothing particularly wrong with it, it is workmanlike rather than quality. You can still forge a good career out of it - Mark Bentley being a prime example of someone who didn't have any class on the ball but was a great player for us - but they are unlikely to go as high in the game.

By the same token, having that touch of class doesn't ensure you do have a good career, but it's definitely something to build on. Of the current lot Moussa is the only one who IMHO looks as if he has that extra bit of quality on the ball about him. That's what I see in him, and I suspect that is what the others who rate his talent see in him.

not sure i agree with that asesment of our squad. you dont want 11 moussas, and i personally prefer macca to mouse when both on top form. i know thats only my opinion. but i think turning moussa into a winger has made him he is so much better there then when was in the centre and i thought he was just anothe run of the mill cm. also i think francis has that natural ability that could be a champ defender easy

not sure i agree with that asesment of our squad. you dont want 11 moussas, and i personally prefer macca to mouse when both on top form. i know thats only my opinion. but i think turning moussa into a winger has made him he is so much better there then when was in the centre and i thought he was just anothe run of the mill cm. also i think francis has that natural ability that could be a champ defender easy

Where did I say I want 11 Moussas?

You need balance. In the championship we were crying out for someone in midfield with a bit of steel to complement the likes of Gower and Maher's class. Workmanlike midfielders like Macca are ten a penny, midfielders with a touch of class to their play are much harder to come by but you still need both in your midfield.

At just 21, Moussa is nowhere near the finished article. I doubt he'll be ready to consistently run a midfield for at least another 3 or 4 seasons, but that doesn't mean he won't be our best option in the meantime.

I have always been a massive Moussa fan, and genuinely have believed for sometime he is our most giftedly talented player.

People forget he is only 21 because he has been in the team so long.

I think he has the potential to grow to the ability very similar to Marky Gower, the sort of player who scores goals and has fans on the edge of their seat everytime he gets the ball, last nite Moussa did that, everytime he had it we expected something to happen.

Special mention to Herd too, who helped play to Moussa's strengths. It is a very importand partnership between fullback and winger, and last night Herd made a couple of bust a gut overlaps where we all knew he wasn't going to get the ball, but it gat Moussa that little bit more space to do what he wanted.

No, it's the Webb effect, simples.

Out of interest if Moussa scored 50 goals in a season, would you then admit he was a good player, or would you not want to admit you were/are wrong just because you think people are having a dig at Macca by saying another midfield player is good?

Out of interest if Moussa scored 50 goals in a season, would you then admit he was a good player, or would you not want to admit you were/are wrong just because you think people are having a dig at Macca by saying another midfield player is good?

Nope, just think Moussa has been hugely over rated while giving some absolutely shocking performances. It just seems hugely coincidental that suddenly he's playing out of his skin when contract discussions are going on.

Only reason he scored two last night was cos of the hard work by Grant and Macca in allowing him the freedom he needed. I've missed two games all season and I can assure you that it's only in the last two or three that he's played anything like good enough.

Notice incidentally, that despite scoring two and getting MotM he still didn't bother to acknowledge the supporters at the end. That's what I really don't like about him.

not wishing to answer for OBL but it's clear that Moussa has been told to get in more forward positions. My guess like hers is that this is what Webb has said, i.e. we're in trouble, we sit back and invite teams and we need to attack. It was Webb's way. Macca is best like Grant staying back.

not wishing to answer for OBL but it's clear that Moussa has been told to get in more forward positions. My guess like hers is that this is what Webb has said, i.e. we're in trouble, we sit back and invite teams and we need to attack. It was Webb's way. Macca is best like Grant staying back.

:clap: :) see?

Nope, just think Moussa has been hugely over rated while giving some absolutely shocking performances. It just seems hugely coincidental that suddenly he's playing out of his skin when contract discussions are going on.

Only reason he scored two last night was cos of the hard work by Grant and Macca in allowing him the freedom he needed. I've missed two games all season and I can assure you that it's only in the last two or three that he's played anything like good enough.

Notice incidentally, that despite scoring two and getting MotM he still didn't bother to acknowledge the supporters at the end. That's what I really don't like about him.

OK...........he's 21, and at the beginning of his career. The omens look good. Inconsistency is a problem for all young pros unless they are exceptional. He should have been more attacking in the few times I've seen him this season. Last night he got forward more than I've ever seen him. You cannot have 3 defensive midfielders. We have to win games and take the initiative and that certainly happened last night.

Bollocks. I watched him with my own eyes applaud all three stands Southend fans were sat in, albeit briefly, before picking up his champagne, taking the snap with the sponsors and heading off down the tunnel with Grant.

Bollocks. I watched him with my own eyes applaud all three stands Southend fans were sat in, albeit briefly, before picking up his champagne, taking the snap with the sponsors and heading off down the tunnel with Grant.

Must have been the quickest acknowledgment in history then, never saw him come over to the West at all. In fact he was picking up his champagne while Tilly, Baldwin, Mildy and others were still applauding our side of the ground.

Must have been the quickest acknowledgment in history then, never saw him come over to the West at all. In fact he was picking up his champagne while Tilly, Baldwin, Mildy and others were still applauding our side of the ground.

I said it was brief, but to criticise a player for not clapping enough after a performance like that is ludicrous.

I honestly cannot believe we're onto this old chestnut again. I could not give two ***** if a player feels the need to take the time to applaud the fans as long as they give 100% on the pitch beforehand. If I could choose between Moussa's performance last night, and having JCR back jumping around like a **** in front of the West at the final whistle, It'd be Moussa every time.

OBL I am not saying Moussa has been amazing all season, but it does seem that anytime he does anything well you are quick to get the praise elsewhere. You just mentioned Grant and Macca's hard work to get him the space last night to be creative.

Firstly, its a team game and the defensive players should be doing just that for that attacking ones, he can't do it all himself.

Secondly, bollocks, Macca, was, bar two diagonal passes which were exceptional in the second half, awful last night (by the high standards he has set himself in a Southend shirt). Grant and Herd should be the two credited with Moussa having the space to work well in.

We will never truely know how much of an impact the off field troubles have affected the players this season, but as so many have been below what I would have expected this year, Macca and Moussa BOTH included, I would imagine quite a lot!

The only two payers in my opinion who can honestly say they have played very well for the vast majority of games, home and away, are Mildy and Francis.

Back