• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Powell going to be as bad as Brown?

Zeuss

Manager
After yesterday’s miserable subsidence against woefully weak opposition,I’m afraid my answer is “you begin to wonder”.
He told us the FAC is very important and promised to select our strongest available team.Then 3 of our best players((Moore,Dru and Bunn)are put on the bench.
Cox missed a great early chance but with a half-decent striker up front with him,we would have been 5 or 6 up at halftime.
After ht everyone was screaming at him to get the totally useless Robinson off and then poor,struggling John White,whom most refs would have sent off,was kept on right to the(very)bitter end.
We could all see what was becoming inevitable,whilst being deprived of even the merest glimpse of(what has he done wrong?) McCoulsky.
Questions need to be answered....

43% win ratio.

Up there with the most successful managers in the club's history.

We have a catalogue of terrible injuries, losing Hopper and Coker have clearly unsettled the team.

I still trust CP to turn it around.

Give the guy a chance ffs!

Another thread against Powell again!!! Ffs he’s only been here 10 months got us out the **** and people with over the top expectations thinking the worsed , beat Blackpool at home Saturday and we are back in top 10 , let’s get behind our men!! Utb

Must admit I still have lots of faith in CP.

Injuries are not helping I know but we have players who can step in, it's not the end of the world. I think with so many new faces this season it took us a while to gel and then remove a couple of regular faces like Hopper and Coker and we step back a bit.

29 matches to go and with the current injuries (plus the ones at the start of season) I think most would be happy with a mid-table finish BUT, we have january coming up and an opportunity to grab 1 or 2 more players.

Never say never

Time will tell, CP deserves credit for a decent second half to the season last year. We looked doomed under Brown yet finished in the top half.

This season has been a mixed bag so far, we've had some excellent results away from home but look vulnerable at Roots Hall; to be fair we've had horrendous luck with injuries too.

One similarity between Powell and Brown is they both seem to have a 'safety first' attitude. I'd like to see us take few more attacking risks, at home at least.

Last edited:
Yes Powell got it wrong yesterday, but every manager gets it wrong on occasion, if they didn't then they wouldn't be managing in League 1. If people expect our managers to never make mistakes then they are being extremely unrealistic.

I think people think our players are better than they are, the reality is we're a midtable side and that's exactly where we are, like any midtable side we are going to have games where we simply aren't at the races. If we want to be more than that then Powell needs another transfer window (probably 2) to clear out the deadwood. Almost all of his summer signings have improved the squad (injuries aside), McCoulsky is the only one I'm not impressed with but he's not permanent, and I have faith that given time he'll be able to improve the squad even further.

We have a catalogue of terrible injuries, losing Hopper and Coker have clearly unsettled the team.

I still trust CP to turn it around.

Give the guy a chance ffs!

Thing is, if he wasn't Chris Powell, people would be calling for his head. I'm incredibly generous where managers are concerned but he needs to sort things out. Terrible decisions yesterday.

Chris Powell will always be a better manager for southend .How the hell is he ment to put a strong side out when the main striker his main full back and midfielders are out injured long term . When he had his best 11 to chose from we played free flowing football .Lets hope he can bring in a couple in January to bolster his team .Stop knocking the guy You was all singing his praises when he had a strong 11 to chose from .

Thing is, if he wasn't Chris Powell, people would be calling for his head. I'm incredibly generous where managers are concerned but he needs to sort things out. Terrible decisions yesterday.

Maybe. But that wouldn’t mean that calling for his head is justified. Most often those knee jerk reactions are massively misguided!

I was rather hoping people would see sense and realise for a historically bottom of L1 club with a mid table L1 budget and a WW1 injury list we aren't doing to bad.

As for Saturday, despite whats said publicly, he may well have been under pressure not to play the loanees.

Also I love they way fans choice of substitute would always work. better than the managers. We had completely run out of ideas in Mid-field and there was no supply to the front 2. McCoulsky for Theo would not have created anymore attacks and certainly woudn't have stopped Crawley attacking us......As some of you are so keen to point out in other threads they lumped it up to useful big number 9.... They certainly didn't pass it out from the back whilst we sat back.

Also I love they way fans choice of substitute would always work. better than the managers. We had completely run out of ideas in Mid-field and there was no supply to the front 2. McCoulsky for Theo would not have created anymore attacks and certainly woudn't have stopped Crawley attacking us......As some of you are so keen to point out in other threads they lumped it up to useful big number 9.... They certainly didn't pass it out from the back whilst we sat back.

Didn't have a problem with the subs myself, I called exactly what he did, however, I would have preferred earlier substitutions when it became clear what was happening. Theo had one of his ineffective days, and I would certainly have looked to sub White to protect him from what seemed to be an imminent red card!

What I really didn't agree with was leaving McCoulsky warming up for 10 minutes towards the end and not then bringing him on. By the time they equalised, we should have been pushing more for a winner.

Now, I've had a long think overnight about the thread title and concluded that I'm in agreement with the sentiments and am hoping that Powell's similar failure will result in being halfway up The Championship after a last minute equaliser at Wembley in the League One play-off final and subsequent penalty shoot out victory! :Cool:

I was rather hoping people would see sense and realise for a historically bottom of L1 club with a mid table L1 budget and a WW1 injury list we aren't doing to bad.

As for Saturday, despite whats said publicly, he may well have been under pressure not to play the loanees.

If we run out of ideas in midfield it's best to change the midfield rather than remove a forward with no replacement.

SCP bridled when asked about bringing on Dru saying something along the lines of him being our best player - so if he were serious about winning why omit him? Perhaps Ron didn't want him Cup tied?

Good point about the City loanees but if so why say the opposite?

'Some of you' made the same mistake with Brown - the best form of defence is attack and definitely isn't packing your own half against a team a division lower who have been conceding goals for fun.

Notwithstanding all this SCP has done superbly in all other aspects and has had no luck whatsoever - just change the tactics please SCP.

The problem with the substitutions was that he didn't do one thing or the other.

If we were hell bent on sitting on our lead, he'd have been better bringing Moore and Yearwood on and taking Robinson and Kightly off, but he didn't stick or twist and that confusing message seemed to get to the players, as well.

Back