• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

blue79

Banned
Promotion is welcome any season and failure to do so after doing well for virtually all of it would be painful at any time.

Promotion this season is crucial to us not just because we seem to have put all our eggs into one basket.

Moreover I fear failure to do so could well mean a part break-up of the Squad, Possible mini repercussion of finances and to go through, again, a part re-building process of the Squad.

For the latter reasons if the unthinkable happens and we remain in League 2 we might not get another tilt at going up till the season after next.

Hence why I believe it is extra crucial for us to go up now.

Anyone agree ?

The squad will have to be changed whether we go up or stay down so promotion is not significant in that respect. Whether we have put all our 'eggs into one basket' I don't know. I have no idea just how many 'eggs' RM is playing at this current time. Yes it will be a disappointment not to gain promotion after the opportunity afforded this season. As to whether that means we would not have a chance of going up next season is pure speculation. Who knows what side we will have or even manager if we have another season in the basement?

Promotion this season would mean that players out of contract would be more likely to re-sign and also better players would be willing to come in.

Personally I can't see the likes of Barker and Dailly being around for a L1 campaign. Prosser I think will struggle in L1, as I do Clohessy. His worst performances this season have been against Preston and Oldham, and put him against a winger one level up and he has different challenges to face. Gilbert will be gone regardless and we may stand a better chance of keeping Hills if we are L1. Whether Luggy goes for Belford again or offers Morris a new deal is totally dependant on division. Can't see either being our L1 keeper.

Phillips should be fine if he stays fit and I think any of our midfield would cope, but may possible need strengthening.

Up top, who knows? Our goals come from all over. Dicko will almost certainly miss the start of the season anyway so I guess we'll need another professional big bloke. Will Corr play again? I doubt it personally but if he does it probably won't be in L1.

Regardless of league, it's going to be another season of personnel change.

Promotion this season would mean that players out of contract would be more likely to re-sign and also better players would be willing to come in.

Personally I can't see the likes of Barker and Dailly being around for a L1 campaign. Prosser I think will struggle in L1, as I do Clohessy. His worst performances this season have been against Preston and Oldham, and put him against a winger one level up and he has different challenges to face. Gilbert will be gone regardless and we may stand a better chance of keeping Hills if we are L1. Whether Luggy goes for Belford again or offers Morris a new deal is totally dependant on division. Can't see either being our L1 keeper.

Phillips should be fine if he stays fit and I think any of our midfield would cope, but may possible need strengthening.

Up top, who knows? Our goals come from all over. Dicko will almost certainly miss the start of the season anyway so I guess we'll need another professional big bloke. Will Corr play again? I doubt it personally but if he does it probably won't be in L1.

I personally feel Clohessy is only one of a few that I think will cut it at a level up.

I personally feel Clohessy is only one of a few that I think will cut it at a level up.

Players who could perform well at a higher level, in my opinion, are Hall, Phillips (if fit), Grant and Mohsni. In addition there's probably a handful who could get by. That leaves a lot who could be out of their depth.

Agree.

Of the current squad I think only:-

Clohessy
Leonard
Mohsni - although I think we've seen the last of him
Phillips
Timlin
Grant
Ferdianand
Martin
Hall
Benyon
Harris

Loanee's Sampson, Belford & Hills I would add to but how likely it is any of them signing on permanently I don't know. Bentley would stay too as I do think you need at least two keepers at a club whether one is a named sub or not.

Not included any of the youngsters in this though, just what has been used most for the first team this season.

Promotion is welcome any season and failure to do so after doing well for virtually all of it would be painful at any time.

Promotion this season is crucial to us not just because we seem to have put all our eggs into one basket.

Moreover I fear failure to do so could well mean a part break-up of the Squad, Possible mini repercussion of finances and to go through, again, a part re-building process of the Squad.

For the latter reasons if the unthinkable happens and we remain in League 2 we might not get another tilt at going up till the season after next.

Anyone agree ?

Agree? I don't know. Do you have any evidence that we're living beyond our means or putting "all our eggs into one basket"? Perhaps if you do then we can make an informed opinion.

At the moment my opinion that we're living within our means (as much as a lower league club can live within its means) is based on the fact that we're in a division with a wage cap and that Tara Brady said in the Summer that this season's wage budget would be lower than last year's.

However we still don't generate enough cash to cover our outgoings and that will always be the case so it's possible that whatever way RM has found this year to cover the wages and tax bill won't be possible if we're still in League Two next year. But unless anyone has an intimate knowledge of where Ron is getting this cash from and what the terms are then it seems to me to be impossible to say.

Agree? I don't know. Do you have any evidence that we're living beyond our means or putting "all our eggs into one basket"? Perhaps if you do then we can make an informed opinion.

At the moment my opinion that we're living within our means (as much as a lower league club can live within its means) is based on the fact that we're in a division with a wage cap and that Tara Brady said in the Summer that this season's wage budget would be lower than last year's.

However we still don't generate enough cash to cover our outgoings and that will always be the case so it's possible that whatever way RM has found this year to cover the wages and tax bill won't be possible if we're still in League Two next year. But unless anyone has an intimate knowledge of where Ron is getting this cash from and what the terms are then it seems to me to be impossible to say.

A good reason why it is SO important to stay in the mix for automatic promotion and hopefully push our attendances up over 7,000. Not the answer to the problem but it will certainly help. Anyone know how ticket sales are going for Tuesday night?

an added bonus would be if Celtic joined league one like one of the sunday papers suggests.

an added bonus would be if Celtic joined league one like one of the sunday papers suggests.

Would that be a bonus? I was thinking of this yesterday and unless Portsmouth go bust the only way they could fit Celtic into League One would surely be to reduce the number promoted from League Two by one, which could well see us our chances of promotion greatly reduced.

It won't happen either way.

Celtic in League 1? No chance! Can you imagine the amount of police required at every Celtic away game?

Can't see Morris getting a new deal. I reckon we'll go back in for Daniels as he's on a Bosman this summer.

Clohessy might be a bit more restricted in his forward play stepping up a level to League One, but I am pretty sure he is good enough.

League One has a wage cap next season I believe, which is why Col Ewe are having to reduce their playing budget?

Anyone agree ?

My guess would be it is not extra crucial as most of any extra money generated from higher crowds in L1 would go on higher wage bill.
I also think whether we go up or not there will be a turnover of playing staff in the summer.
Even if we don't go up I think we will be challenging again next year.

My guess would be it is not extra crucial as most of any extra money generated from higher crowds in L1 would go on higher wage bill.
I also think whether we go up or not there will be a turnover of playing staff in the summer.
Even if we don't go up I think we will be challenging again next year.

There's the thing there is no guarantee we'll get bigger crowds if we do go up. Last season Chesterfield were the best side in this division by far, they are bootom of League, Wycombe are in the bottom 4 and Bury have started to struggle and are just above the relegation spots. Only Stevenage who went up via the play offs have had a good season and still could get into this years play offs.

IMO the current squad is nowhere near good enough to go up and stay up and will need major changes next season if we are to achieve say mid table mediocrity.

There's the thing there is no guarantee we'll get bigger crowds if we do go up. Last season Chesterfield were the best side in this division by far, they are bootom of League, Wycombe are in the bottom 4 and Bury have started to struggle and are just above the relegation spots. Only Stevenage who went up via the play offs have had a good season and still could get into this years play offs.

IMO the current squad is nowhere near good enough to go up and stay up and will need major changes next season if we are to achieve say mid table mediocrity.

Guarantee, no. Highly unlikey for crowds to remain the same though.

Our home crowd will go up a bit, maybe not huge amounts if we struggle, there will also be an increase in away fans.

Colu and Orient will pretty much fill the stand. Then you have the likes of Sheff Wed (if they dont go up ), Portsmouth, Coventry (if they both go down.)

What TS is missing though is TV money etc which I understand is substantially more in league one than league two.

Personally I think that promotion is everything, failing this I think we will see a lot of our 'big players' leaving. We've put a lot into this promotion push and I think that if we didn't go up any way that it would be a massive disappointment to all concerned. My bets would be another season where we have to rebuild again. In all honesty though, I think we will gain promotion. This is such an open league that anyone can win it, we even still have a chance of being champions !!

Back