• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Smoking banned in This Pub?

I don't think it should be banned, if they're going to do anything perhaps a seperate smoking section (like they have in some Wetherspoons) is a much better solution than a blanket ban.

And I'm a non-smoker BTW....

People will come up with ways around this just as they are about to do in scotland where the smoking ban starts end of next month.

Current favourite is marquees being put up in pub car-parks/beer gardens for people to smoke in!

I'm all in favour of a complete ban in all public places. It's a disgusting, selfish, anti-social habit that has no place in society today (BTW - I'm a smug ex-smoker who found it very easy to give up
tounge.gif
).

As a non-smoker, I do like to go somewhere where I know my clothes aren't going to stink of smoke, but on the other hand, this government do seem very big on telling people what they can and can't do and restricting people's freedom (ID cards?).

I know they are considering banning alcohol from trains, which again seems way over the top.

I agree with Whatever - I don't have a problem with smoking sections, what is wrong with having choice?

I actually agree with the blanket ban - it works in Ireland and Italy, and all it means is having an area outside...

Just think of all the beers you can buy if you aren't buying ciggies
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ Feb. 15 2006,11:37)]As a non-smoker, I do like to go somewhere where I know my clothes aren't going to stink of smoke, but on the other hand, this government do seem very big on telling people what they can and can't do and restricting people's freedom (ID cards?).

I know they are considering banning alcohol from trains, which again seems way over the top.

I agree with Whatever - I don't have a problem with smoking sections, what is wrong with having choice?
Smoking sections in pubs are a joke, they don't work because smoke pervades all areas.

Bring on the ban I say, cannot wait to go for a drink and not have to passively smoke ten fags.

I would suggest that we seen the benefits of such a ban at Roots Hall this season. It is much more conducive as a non smoker to watch a game without ingesting vast quantities of secondary smoke, and have the pleasure of coughing like a drain, and smelling like an ashtray.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ Feb. 15 2006,11:37)]I know they are considering banning alcohol from trains, which again seems way over the top.
I thought, however, that having considered that one, numerous MPs (notably John Reid) found out that such a rule would deny them a dram/a beer or two as they climb on board the train for the long journey up to Scotland... and therefore decided at that point that banning booze on trains was actually a really bad idea!

tounge.gif

Dont smoke and dont see why i should have to put my health at risk just cause someone else does.

Personally in favour of executing all smokers who break the ban but short of that blanket ban is fine...No exceptions
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ Feb. 15 2006,11:37)]this government do seem very big on telling people what they can and can't do and restricting people's freedom (ID cards?).
How exactly do ID cards restrict personal freedom? If you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to worry about.

If (and it's a big if) ID cards are cost effective and reduce illegal immigrants, crime etc surely they can only be a good thing?

I've got no problem with ID cards, my problem is making them compulsory yet walloping people with an extortionate £100 to get one.

I'd be more then up for a blanket ban on smoking. Get it banned everywhere and anywhere.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Feb. 15 2006,12:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ Feb. 15 2006,11:37)]this government do seem very big on telling people what they can and can't do and restricting people's freedom (ID cards?).
How exactly do ID cards restrict personal freedom?  If you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to worry about.  

If (and it's a big if) ID cards are cost effective and reduce illegal immigrants, crime etc surely they can only be a good thing?
OK, probably a bad example but to be honest I don't personally like the idea of being fingerprinted, given a number and having to pay for it just to pander to media-fuelled public hysteria over immigration.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Feb. 15 2006,12:59)]How exactly do ID cards restrict personal freedom?  If you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to worry about.  

My concern is that they may erode the presumption of innocence. Let's say your get mugged by someone who then steals a car, crashes it and flees the scene... dropping your wallet and ID car in the process.

Who's the first person the police are going to nick? You... "your ID card was found near the scene of the crime, sir..."

rock.gif

Far fetched? Maybe, but not entirely. OK, here are some other objections...

* What's to stop a lazy or bent copper from framing me and sending me down, just because they don't like the look of me? Have we somehow forgotten that things like the Guildford 4 or the Birmingham 6 took place?

* What's to prevent errors in data entry occuring? My name is an extremely common one - what happens if, at the point of data entry (which is done by a human... and to err is human), my personal details are confused with the DNA of someone else sharing my name? What happens if that person's DNA is found at the scene of a crime - does that mean I'll be framed?

* Besides, why do the police need to keep a record of me and my DNA?

* Finally, who is going to pay for this?

I just don't understand why we need any of this stuff. No one has explained how those cards would have cut down crime or prevented terrorism... and, at the end of the day, illegal immigrants will still come to this country and try to forge ID cards come what may. Further curtailing the personal liberties and increasing the "big brother" apparatus of government on law-abiding citizens is not going to stop that.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 15 2006,12:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ Feb. 15 2006,11:37)]I know they are considering banning alcohol from trains, which again seems way over the top.
I thought, however, that having considered that one, numerous MPs (notably John Reid) found out that such a rule would deny them a dram/a beer or two as they climb on board the train for the long journey up to Scotland... and therefore decided at that point that banning booze on trains was actually a really bad idea!

tounge.gif
I'm not a smoker and hate coming home smelling of stale smoke but I think this vote is OTT. All landlords already have the right to decide whether their pubs operate a smoke free policy. Employees can exercise their choice about whether they work in that kind of atmosphere.

See that the Gov't allowed MP's from Scotland, Wales and Ulster to vote on English only legislation. that's an absolute disgrace, surely this is a matter for English MP's only.

One other observation, I see that the Commons bar is exempt from the ban, what a disgusting bunch of hypocritical tw@ts MP's are........ Do as I say not as I do.

Is it any wonder that people are cynical about politicians, they're all a bunch of lying, hypocrytical, ****S

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 15 2006,13:19)]at the end of the day, illegal immigrants will still come to this country and try to forge ID cards come what may.  Further curtailing the personal liberties and increasing the "big brother" apparatus of government on law-abiding citizens is not going to stop that.

Matt
No matt.

the new law states that immigrants will have to be of good character.

So we won't be getting any baddies.
rock.gif

Back