• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Is there anywhere we can check to see if HMRC have now been paid?

Not really. The protests went on for years, and he still wouldn't budge. He even went to war with a lot of them.

Yeah, I remember reading that from DS's account .Probably in the Grauniad too.Would agree that the legal ruling over receivership swung it but I'm sure the Blackpool supporters protests helped swing the balance too.

Yeah, I remember reading that from DS's account .Probably in the Grauniad too.Would agree that the legal ruling over receivership swung it but I'm sure the Blackpool supporters protests helped swing the balance too.

Oyston didn’t give a **** about the supporters or their protests and took some of them to court.

I am pals with a number of diehard Blackpool supporters and they all stopped going.

I disagree. His biggest fault IMO, is that he constantly has to put that money into the club.

Why doesn’t he run it within its means?

Why over the last decade, have we had constant running battles with HMRC?

Why do we pay wages late?

Why do we sail closer and closer to the wind, year-after-year?

That’s Ron’s fault. However you dress it up, he’s in charge of the finances, and every year they get worse and worse.

Please stop pretending that it’s out of his hands, and that if he were richer then these problems wouldn’t occur.

I agree with much of the above- where do you image I contradict it? He has put the money in- he could have cut his cloth and avoided many of the the things you describe. I do wonder how happy it would have made many on here if he had.

In fact at this particular moment I suspect Ron agrees with much of you say to. Chasing the dream and all that.

This is what I never understood about how we are constantly in this situation. The club must be run like the NHS, there must be so much wastage, poor management, and no end in sight of it ever changing.

Just pumping in more and more money just hides the underlying issues.

SUFC has an income stream of mid table league one. Probably very similar to clubs such as Oxford, Bristol Rovers, Doncaster, Gillingham, Swindon, Scunthorpe and Walsall to name a few.

It has a much larger income than, Fleetwood, Accrington, Burton, Wycombe, Rochdale and Tranmere, and a host of League Two clubs.

Yes, we have a slight disadvantage geographically, as wages will need to be higher, due to the cost of living in the South East, but counteracting that we also have some of the highest ticket prices too. Do all those other clubs have rich benefactors pumping in £1.5m every year?

Some may do, some may not, but they all manage to survive without the constant trips to court and embargo’s.

Yes we had a bit of a gamble with the wages in the last couple of years, but this is not a recent thing is it.

Until the club is actually run properly and the whole system and ethos changed then saving a few quid by playing the youth team isn’t going to help, and is probably going to cost money with a huge fall off in income.

There may or may not be a billionaire Southend fan waiting in the wings, but unless we as fans start growing a pair and make our feelings known, nothing is going to change, even after FF is started. Just like the NHS...........

I agree with much of the above- where do you image I contradict it? He has put the money in- he could have cut his cloth and avoided many of the the things you describe. I do wonder how happy it would have made many on here if he had.

In fact at this particular moment I suspect Ron agrees with much of you say to. Chasing the dream and all that.

When you say things such as; his biggest fault, is that he is not a billionaire.

You’re giving credence to the notion that Ron is doing a good job, and has merely been hampered by the harsh climate of modern day football ownership.

It’s disingenuous.

You’re backhandedly taking the responsibility away from Ron, as though none of this ongoing situation, is directly his fault.

You’re painting a picture that all these issues could be avoided, simply if the man had a few more quid knocking around.

The truth is, this club pulls in millions of pounds every year, and yet, every year we still operate at a loss.

His fault is as a failed businessman. He needs to accept that and sell up! Plenty of clubs not backed by billionaires have built or improved stadium since on a global scale.

There is less chance of that happening than there is of you accepting that he is the best chance we've got of survival!

Seriously guys, none of us know the finances, the deals, what's going on behind the scenes, why on earth are we suddenly blessed with the solution to all the problems being Ron selling up? What exactly would he sell, who to and, frankly, why should he? He's in it for him, not for us; it just so happens that if the goose lays his golden egg, we get one too.

There is less chance of that happening than there is of you accepting that he is the best chance we've got of survival!

Seriously guys, none of us know the finances, the deals, what's going on behind the scenes, why on earth are we suddenly blessed with the solution to all the problems being Ron selling up? What exactly would he sell, who to and, frankly, why should he? He's in it for him, not for us; it just so happens that if the goose lays his golden egg, we get one too.

Of course ,if we end up in receivership,that would be another way of getting (some of) his "investment" back too.

Have I missed anything? Thought Ron said in his statement that he was paying the outstanding bill this week? Well as the Macc players were not in the squad again today I assume it didn't get paid

Of course ,if we end up in receivership,that would be another way of getting (some of) his "investment" back too.

Well, he'd get back some of what he's put in and if the club folded, then I'm not sure how effective the covenant is on Roots Hall that would stop it from being developed.

But if he'd wanted to pursue that route, he could have done so many years ago, many times over and at any time.

Well, he'd get back some of what he's put in and if the club folded, then I'm not sure how effective the covenant is on Roots Hall that would stop it from being developed.

But if he'd wanted to pursue that route, he could have done so many years ago, many times over and at any time.

Yes but the point is he's been in control now for 22 years (and not getting any younger).Nor does the promised land of FF look like coming to fruition any time soon.In fact if planning permission doesn't happen in the near future (unlikely in my opinion since the council are clearly trying to prevaricate for as long as they possibly can) then presumably receivership remains an option.

Your point about the covenant on RH is a valid one,IMO.

So Ron is a failed businessman ?

Ron already has planning permission for 500 houses on RH which makes that site worth about £25/30m

Ron has already had planning permission for a stadium and retail park on FF. Which means its likely he would get a further scheme passed.......Even if the council said build more residential on it.

If he went all generous and gave the land for a stadium/academy away to a new owner.......He could still pocket a tidy some from the rest of FF.

Which without laying a single brick on either site would make him the most successful (financially) businessman in Southends history.

How annoying would that be?

So Ron is a failed businessman ?

Ron already has planning permission for 500 houses on RH which makes that site worth about £25/30m

Ron has already had planning permission for a stadium and retail park on FF. Which means its likely he would get a further scheme passed.......Even if the council said build more residential on it.

If he went all generous and gave the land for a stadium/academy away to a new owner.......He could still pocket a tidy some from the rest of FF.

Which without laying a single brick on either site would make him the most successful (financially) businessman in Southends history.

How annoying would that be?

Having planning permission and actually building it are two different things

Having planning permission and actually building it are two different things

they are but a piece of land with planning permission is worth far more than one without, I fear time is running out on this whole adventure and Ron will cash out in one way or another pretty soon

Back