• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world
Not really much of a PC buff and wondered is the below worth getting?

MESH 15 inch Powerview; Pentium 4 3.4GHz processor; 1GB RAM; 80GB HD;
CD/DVD R/W drive; will take wireless card (not included).

HD has been wiped and cleaned to DoD standard and Windows XP Pro
re-installed from the recovery CD-ROM (up to SP1a) also Drivers.

Battery is not good but could be replaced, otherwise the computer works
fine with A.C. Mains Adaptor (included).

Key tops are worn;

Instruction booklet, CD-ROM discs as issued, but no case.

To be collected from Kirkton of Auchterless

what's the price?

The specs don't seem too bad but are you sure it's a Pentium 4 3.4Ghz processor? That's better than my P4 3.2Ghz in my desktop. Laptop processors aren't usually as powerful as desktops (single-core)

Last edited:
what's the price?

The specs don't seem too bad but are you sure it's a Pentium 4 3.4Ghz processor? That's better than my P4 3.2Ghz in my desktop. Laptop processors aren't usually as powerful as desktops (single-core)

This is the good bit............its free.

Mrs AS spotted it on Freecycle and got in first, she asked me if it was any good but i dont have a clue.

We use freecycle a lot for both offers and wants but this is probably the best thing that we have got from there so far.

This is the good bit............its free.

Mrs AS spotted it on Freecycle and got in first, she asked me if it was any good but i dont have a clue.

We use freecycle a lot for both offers and wants but this is probably the best thing that we have got from there so far.

if it's free then you've nothing to lose! As I said the specs are ok if you just plan to use it for normal every day use. Just as long as the AC apadter is good of course

if it's free then you've nothing to lose! As I said the specs are ok if you just plan to use it for normal every day use. Just as long as the AC apadter is good of course

Mrs AS is going to use if next year purely for when she embarks on her masters dagree. So i will have to look in to how all this wireless router stuff works i guess :(

Mrs AS is going to use if next year purely for when she embarks on her masters dagree. So i will have to look in to how all this wireless router stuff works i guess :(

Make sure you put Openoffice on it (if your running Windows ).
Or even better dowload and install Ubuntu (Linux) easyest to setup and use, plus requires a far less spec to be useful

http://www.ubuntu.com/ (comes with Openoffice)

Open office is a free of charge version of microsoft office. If she is studying for a degree and has a uni email address she should be able to get microsoft software really cheap anyway (as a student edition)

Open office is a free of charge version of microsoft office. If she is studying for a degree and has a uni email address she should be able to get microsoft software really cheap anyway (as a student edition)

I dont know if she will get a Uni address or not, it is her company that are putting he through the master in Employment law as she is an HR Manager....god knows how it works but i will look in to the Open office

What exactly are they Osy?

As mentioned Open office is (propably) better replacement for MS Office . Ubuntu is a new operating system (Linux) . If you can burn a cd you should be able to download teh software. The specs make it "newish" enough all your hardware should be detected .

Plus the Uni support people will be big fans of Linux ;)

Plus its all free :D

Linux has come on leaps and bounds in the last 5 years, the improvements reallly make it accessible to the general public and not just the technically gifted. I think the prevalence of Firefox has opened the masses eyes to the benefits of Open source programs.

Why pay lots of dosh for something that is bug ridden and often not tested and developed enough when you can get a product that is free but is fixed much quicker, also most Open Source stuff is compatible with its off the shelf rival, as it helps the product to be adopted.

Back