• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is verbal abuse good for the players?

I have no doubt tomorrows support will be superb. I see Macca's point, and I dont think we should hurl abuse at the players, but to a large extent the players bring what they get on themselves, and fans are the same at all clubs. Bottom line, we do pay their wages. I would say we are quite good at recognising when the team have done well even if we have lost, but playing crap is not acceptable...

Well there you have it, straight from the horses mouth so to speak..

So Blue Voice and Non-Blue Voice ticket holders need to do their bit tomorrow and make plenty of noise in a positive sense.... let's see what happens eh...

Sing up Southend

...to a large extent the players bring what they get on themselves, and fans are the same at all clubs. Bottom line, we do pay their wages.

Well, if you had a job, and the customers who 'paid your wages' hurled that sort of abuse at you, would you just shrug your shoulders and say, 'fair enough'? I certainly wouldn't. I pay my taxes so that people can go to university. Does that give me the right to give them abuse if they don't work hard and gain first class honours? Think about it...

I dont think the abuse is right. However, it is generally born out of frustration...

1. A player not playing well is dropped.
2. A player not playing well continues to play.

Now of Harrold and Hooper - which is which?

It helps neither the player or the team but you do wonder where the consistency is sometimes and that can be frustrating.

I think we are lucky that in our team, all the players work hard and give their all whereas in some teams, you have players that dont work hard at all aka Freddy!

Or here again, Joey Barton in today's Guardian on Newcastle's boo boys:

"The fans want success and they want it straightaway, but unless they change that mentality and start supporting the side through poor results, then things won't change. It's the easiest thing in the world to shout a negative comment but I would like them to just try to be positive. And if it continues, when the manager goes for players, they will go somewhere else rather than jump in the frying pan."

Where Chris Mort, Newcastle's chairman, has taken the view that "the paying customer is king" and insisted that supporters are within their rights to vent their spleen at poor performances, Barton disagrees. "Without people behind you, you can't achieve anything," he said. "People have talked about a fear factor up here and you sense it the minute someone gives the ball away and it's greeted by jeers."

It's not worth over-complicating it because it could easily become a discussion on motivation with Theory X, Y and beyond. However, some people respond to criticism well and some disappear and hide. I think a big part of Michael Kightly's development was learning to guard his emotional state better when getting stick.

I can understand jeering an attitude or laziness. I just can't understand jeering a player's ability. I'm pretty sure Tilson is well placed to judge a player's ability.

It's not worth over-complicating it because it could easily become a discussion on motivation with Theory X, Y and beyond.

Blimey, we're quoting McGregor now. I think Herzberg on the positive value of praise is probably more valid. Of course, motivation is a big part of any manager's role. Crowds, however, are not blessed collectively with man-management skills and are probably best suited to encouragement of players.

It isn't as black and white as just cheer vs jeer. Yes, we should cheer them and support them when it matters. However I see nothing wrong if they have not performed that they are told about it no uncertain terms as they walk off the pitch.

Anyone who works in a customer facing job hears moans and groans and complaints from time to time.....why should footballers be any different?

Anyone see Football Focus today ? Commenting on the Joey Barton words all three ex pro's Lawrenson, Desailly, and Dixon agreed that the fans pay their money and expect to get good value, and could therefore shout what they want. They added that if players dont like it then they should shut the abuse and critisism up by winning and showing the effort required. And that was 3 ex pro's comments.

Well, if you had a job, and the customers who 'paid your wages' hurled that sort of abuse at you, would you just shrug your shoulders and say, 'fair enough'? I certainly wouldn't. I pay my taxes so that people can go to university. Does that give me the right to give them abuse if they don't work hard and gain first class honours? Think about it...

I am not saying I agree with it, if you read my entire post, I say that I dont, but that is the reason it happens at the end of the day.

In regards to your comment about having a job and customers giving you abuse, 99% of the time if you give a sub standard performance and do not help them and give them what they want they will give you abuse.

I have been in a job where you get abuse a lot of the time, when it is not called for and yes you do have to shrug your shoulders and say fair enough to concentrate on the next customer. Maybe the players should say fair enough and concentrate on performing for the fans who dont abuse them and want them to do well (such as me)

It isn't as black and white as just cheer vs jeer. Yes, we should cheer them and support them when it matters. However I see nothing wrong if they have not performed that they are told about it no uncertain terms as they walk off the pitch.

Anyone who works in a customer facing job hears moans and groans and complaints from time to time.....why should footballers be any different?

There is a world of difference between moans and groans, especially at the end of a match, and the sort of viscious abuse handed out recently to JCR, Gower, and now particularly Matt. In almost any public office now you will see signs warning that any sort of abuse towards staff will not be tolerated. Why should footballers be any different?

Anyone see Football Focus today? Commenting on the Joey Barton words all three ex pro's Lawrenson, Desailly, and Dixon agreed that the fans pay their money and expect to get good value, and could therefore shout what they want. They added that if players dont like it then they should shut the abuse and critisism up by winning and showing the effort required. And that was 3 ex pro's comments.

All highly skilled players who played at the top of the game and had the ability to silence their critics. A long way from the sort of thing that the average journeyman pro of limited ability has to put up with. And what is being handed out to Matt, who is clearly putting in the effort required, is a lot worse than even the average journeyman player has to put up with. Once again, this sort of abuse:

Ruins whatever confidence the targetted player has.

Affects the way the rest of the team plays for the worse.

Discourages players from staying at the club or recommending it to others.

Gives new players pause for thought before they join.

Acts directly against what the manager is trying to achieve, and makes it more likely that he will welcome a move to another club.

And all this because some fans think that they have such superior judgement to the manager and coaching staff that they have the right to try and oppose what the manager is trying to achieve. Arguable with the likes of Murphy or Martin, but we are talking about possibly the best manager that SUFC have ever had. If SUFC are to achieve the step up to Championship regulars, then EVERYTHING has to go for us, including the right chairman, the best management, and the total support of the fans. If we don't play our part (Blue Voice as a positive force is exactly what is needed now) then the task becomes almost impossible.

(Blue Voice as a positive force is exactly what is needed now)

Firstly may I say I have no axe to grind with The Blue Voice and the people who are part of it. Everyone has their own way of supporting the club and as long as it's legal and moral then by all means go for it.

Personally though if I wanted to join a cheer squad I'd go and support a college American Football team. It is not what I want from going to football - don't get me wrong I'm all for singing and shouting in support of the team but I've always managed to do that without guidance by commitee. However it seems to me a type of political correctness is prevailing on this board that says such a view is wrong and anyone not entirely singing from The Blue Voice hymn (or should that be song) sheet is in some way a negative influence on the club.

Firstly may I say I have no axe to grind with The Blue Voice and the people who are part of it. Everyone has their own way of supporting the club and as long as it's legal and moral then by all means go for it.

Personally though if I wanted to join a cheer squad I'd go and support a college American Football team. It is not what I want from going to football - don't get me wrong I'm all for singing and shouting in support of the team but I've always managed to do that without guidance by commitee. However it seems to me a type of political correctness is prevailing on this board that says such a view is wrong and anyone not entirely singing from The Blue Voice hymn (or should that be song) sheet is in some way a negative influence on the club.

You will never get everyone shouting encouragement or singing all match, but it makes a better atmosphere if those who want to, join in. The idea behind Blue Voice is to make noise to inspire the players into giving that little bit extra.It will always be a personal choice, I for one absolutely hate the "Stand up if you love Southend" chant.
"Guidance by committee" is just a way of trying to organise One Voice instead of fragmented songs around the ground, it was never the intention to "do as you are told".

Well there you have it, straight from the horses mouth so to speak..

So Blue Voice and Non-Blue Voice ticket holders need to do their bit tomorrow and make plenty of noise in a positive sense.... let's see what happens eh...

Sing up Southend

support was excellent today. pre-match and during, loads of flags, balloons etc etc but nothing happened. thats all you can really describe todays game as. shame as the support was top class and loved standing up at the back rather than having to sit down. drummers were also very good. got everyone going the whole game. well done to them.

Back