• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Islamic Justice - Harsh But Fair

I can guess which one. I think the reasons why are that 1) there was a chance that a worldwide petition could change the outcome 2) that there were legal routes available to stop the execution 3) that evidence / testimonies had changed since the trial 3) luck. The luck eliment is that Amnesty International are your best hope if you are up for execution and they have to pick cases to highlight rather than the story get lost in a sea of other cases. Thats why we know so little about the cases in China - the shere volume of them, the secrecy, and the massively reduced impact of worldwide public outcry. Amina Lawal's case always sticks in my mind and her case being in Muslim Nigeria is closer to your Iran and Saudi cases but the difference being that AI saw a route in to save her, and she is still alive now.
Protest 'from the left' is largely started by Amnesty International who the left would like to claim as their own but they are neither left nor right wing. If you see them as from the left and you disagree with capital punishment maybe you are more left leaning than you think. Its as if you are implying the difference between left and right is the difference between good and evil. Just playing, the work of Amnesty shouldn't get mixed up in politiacl leanings - they are pure and they save lives.

I think you are right that there was far more likelihood of a campaign to stop the American execution being successful than the Saudi or Iranian. Though it could be argued that it suggests that those on the left implicitly recognise the openness and democracy of Western societies with Christian roots compared to Islamic societies.
I admit that what I see as the sanctimonious and hypocrisy of some on the left does seem to push my buttons for some reason though it does not follow that I am right wing either. Some of my views on subjects like capital punishment and immigration put me firmly in the dreaded shrimperzone leftie camp:blush:
I don't think either right or left have a monopoly on wisdom and I think one of the problems with labels such as 'left' and 'right' is that it can lead to closed minds i.e "I am left (or right) wing therefore I must take certain views on particular subjects".

I think you are right that there was far more likelihood of a campaign to stop the American execution being successful than the Saudi or Iranian. Though it could be argued that it suggests that those on the left implicitly recognise the openness and democracy of Western societies with Christian roots compared to Islamic societies.
I admit that what I see as the sanctimonious and hypocrisy of some on the left does seem to push my buttons for some reason though it does not follow that I am right wing either. Some of my views on subjects like capital punishment and immigration put me firmly in the dreaded shrimperzone leftie camp:blush:
I don't think either right or left have a monopoly on wisdom and I think one of the problems with labels such as 'left' and 'right' is that it can lead to closed minds i.e "I am left (or right) wing therefore I must take certain views on particular subjects".
I wasn't meaning to accuse you of being right wing, so I apologise if I did, it was your 'gererated a lot of protest from the left' that implied you had the opposite leanings but as I said I think its Amnesty that have generated the publicity rather than any political movement. They highlight cases in East and West but pick on particular cases if they have an angle as ultimately it needs to appeal to the media. The Nigerian case was pretty amazing when Miss World contestants boycotted the competion in protest at the stoning. Agreed its tempting to just side with things that you feel are in your political niche rather than thinking it through yourself. Stop The War protests are seen as being a left wing thing but personally I see massive value in protecting (or attempting to) any populace from authoritarian leadership.

maybe you should, by expressing your evil side and keeping your good side hidden you are doing yourself a disservice.

Maybe just maybe you and rusty should get a room and rim each other till you hurl,then dry hump til you get burn sores and then and only maybe then the world would be a gayer happier place.love peace and leggings.

Maybe just maybe you and rusty should get a room and rim each other till you hurl,then dry hump til you get burn sores and then and only maybe then the world would be a gayer happier place.love peace and leggings.
rimming is just a poor man's fisting and ultimately that makes you feel inadequate. I don't think I'm Rusty's type and I know he's not mine. He sends me red cards and I want red roses.

So if they should never be allowed out of jail why let them live?
because a few seconds of pain is the easy way out, years and years of boredom and not knowing who is out to get you in the showers and having to sh~t in the room that you sleep in, and that just keeps going on and on and on - that is a real punishment. And if it does turn out they messed up on the DNA tests we don't have to stress about bringing anyone back from the dead.

because a few seconds of pain is the easy way out, years and years of boredom and not knowing who is out to get you in the showers and having to sh~t in the room that you sleep in, and that just keeps going on and on and on - that is a real punishment. And if it does turn out they messed up on the DNA tests we don't have to stress about bringing anyone back from the dead.

I see your point ***, but after a while they settle into a way of life, which admittedly will be boring but can be relatively comfortable.
A friend of mine recently returned from a short break at Her Majestys pleasure and whilst there was offered the chance to make a large quantity of money when he got out, with a substantia risk of going down for 5 years if he got caught. He said after doing 9 months, he thought he would easily be able to do the 5 years if he had to. Luckily he declined but its easy to see the attraction for people who have nothing on the outside.

I see your point ***, but after a while they settle into a way of life, which admittedly will be boring but can be relatively comfortable.
A friend of mine recently returned from a short break at Her Majestys pleasure and whilst there was offered the chance to make a large quantity of money when he got out, with a substantia risk of going down for 5 years if he got caught. He said after doing 9 months, he thought he would easily be able to do the 5 years if he had to. Luckily he declined but its easy to see the attraction for people who have nothing on the outside.
I guess people can adjust to anything that becomes normal, but us on the outside know what they are missing out on. A 0-4 away win against the team who are second in the league, knowing that you'd never have the opportunity to see that again must be harrowing!

Back