• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It is officially World Cup Month

The FA need to take a hard look at themselves. Again and again we're reminded of BLM and LGBTQ, yet they're happy to send a team, it's total hypocrisy.

As I've said, I'll watch a few games only because of my love for football. Do I think it's right? not at all.
I had to laugh when Peter Tatchell stood on a street corner displaying a piece of paper.
They were never going to listen to him.

The FA need to take a hard look at themselves. Again and again we're reminded of BLM and LGBTQ, yet they're happy to send a team, it's total hypocrisy.

As I've said, I'll watch a few games only because of my love for football. Do I think it's right? not at all.

I remember in the 80's when Thatcher when she blocked the olympic team from going to Russia. She had no right to, especially at that time the athletes had self funded themselves. I dont believe that the FA should stop players from going but leave it to the individual players to make the choice. I dot think its right and if I was a player wonder what I would do. I'd like to think I wouldnt go but there is a lot of sponsership deals to consider

I remember in the 80's when Thatcher when she blocked the olympic team from going to Russia. She had no right to, especially at that time the athletes had self funded themselves. I dont believe that the FA should stop players from going but leave it to the individual players to make the choice. I dot think its right and if I was a player wonder what I would do. I'd like to think I wouldnt go but there is a lot of sponsership deals to consider
So do I.Also remember at the 1978 World Cup in Argentina ,the late,great Johan Cruft was the only player not to go.Also remember commentator Brian Moore saying that if he saw anything untoward he would report it.Not suprisingly he didn't.On a visit to Buenos Aires (to see our younger daughter some 10 years ago now) I saw a game at River Plate's stadium where the final (and a lot of other games were played). It's less than a mile away from a makeshift prison (which I also visited ) where left -wingers arrested in the coup were tortured.Apparently they could hear the roar of the crowd during games.

Wonder how many will switch on the final if england make it that far? Bet the majority will tune back in.

I am looking forward to it and believe anyone attending will have a good experience.

I think the USA led that one with a full boycott. .the UK let the athletes decide.. its was the only way Alan Wells was ever going to win medal.

So do I.Also remember at the 1978 World Cup in Argentina ,the late,great Johan Cruft was the only player not to go.Also remember commentator Brian Moore saying that if he saw anything untoward he would report it.Not suprisingly he didn't.On a visit to Buenos Aires (to see our younger daughter some 10 years ago now) I saw a game at River Plate's stadium where the final (and a lot of other games were played). It's less than a mile away from a makeshift prison (which I also visited ) where left -wingers arrested in the coup were tortured.Apparently they could hear the roar of the crowd during games.

I believe Paul Breitner pulled out of the West German squad because he didn't want to go to Argentina. Although he did play for Madrid whilst Cruyff refused as it was Francos team.

That aside the finals in Qatar is an absolute disgrace. From THIFA, the FA, players who take a knee, every virtue signalling commentator......Right down to everyone who even watches it......As men you should be ashamed to look at yourself in the mirror.

I believe Paul Breitner pulled out of the West German squad because he didn't want to go to Argentina. Although he did play for Madrid whilst Cruyff refused as it was Francos team.

That aside the finals in Qatar is an absolute disgrace. From THIFA, the FA, players who take a knee, every virtue signalling commentator......Right down to everyone who even watches it......As men you should be ashamed to look at yourself in the mirror.
Cruyff would never have played for RM for the reason you said.FWIW,I make you right on the rest of what you've said too.

I wonder how many men have said "no way would I watch the world cup" but get on the wife's nerves so much that SHE turns on the games (rather than seeing him pace up and down and wearing the carpet out!)

Just under two weeks before England's first game v Iran. It's being played at 1.00 p.m. (GMT) so that could still be pretty hot out there. Could be tough conditions for north European teams for fixtures earlier in the day.

I understand that GS is announcing the squad on Thursday. Just in case any of you are still interested in this WC.

Just under two weeks before England's first game v Iran. It's being played at 1.00 p.m. (GMT) so that could still be pretty hot out there. Could be tough conditions for north European teams for fixtures earlier in the day.

I understand that GS is announcing the squad on Thursday. Just in case any of you are still interested in this WC.
Thanks a lot.

Yes and no .I usd to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind. :Winking:

You have to laugh, Blatter claims Platini and states awarding the WC to Qatar was wrong.
Or that FIFA investigators found nothing wrong with the bidding process.

You have to laugh, Blatter claims Platini and states awarding the WC to Qatar was wrong.
Or that FIFA investigators found nothing wrong with the bidding process.
This isn't new information, Platini was infamously invited by (then French president) Sarkozy to have lunch with him and the Qataris nine days before the vote. Platini has said that Sarcozy did say he wanted Qatar to host (and that he wanted them to buy PSG as well) but it was irrelevant because he'd already decided to vote Qatar beforehand, but there have always been doubts about that claim.

Wonder how many will switch on the final if england make it that far? Bet the majority will tune back in.
Even if that is the case it'll still be a failure if fans of countries not involved in the final don't tune in. It's estimated over a billion people watched the 2018 final, if only fans of the teams involved tune in they won't get anywhere near that. Given it's in the winter it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people don't bother even if they don't care about the hosts.

This isn't new information, Platini was infamously invited by (then French president) Sarkozy to have lunch with him and the Qataris nine days before the vote. Platini has said that Sarcozy did say he wanted Qatar to host (and that he wanted them to buy PSG as well) but it was irrelevant because he'd already decided to vote Qatar beforehand, but there have always been doubts about that claim.
The "new" is Blatter shafting Platini, and the timing of such.
Not news that the Frogs are pond dwellers.

The "new" is Blatter shafting Platini, and the timing of such.
Not news that the Frogs are pond dwellers.
Even that isn't new, he was saying it as early as 2015 (although mainly in a "I'm annoyed Platini's corruption plans worked better than mine):

Back