• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think it's more an error of judgement, and misunderstanding with Ferdinand, rather than the sun or a cap. Apparently, they both held their hands up to it at half time. It's one of Ted's weaknesses. He's done it before a few times, sometimes he doesn't come out and punch when it's blatantly the obvious thing to do. He will learn as he gains more experience.
We loved Bently, it was missing from his game too... a great shot stopper, but not commanding (Paul Sanson)

We loved Bently, it was missing from his game too... a great shot stopper, but not commanding (Paul Sanson)

They have been working on it in training with Ted. They know it's a weakness. The goalkeeping coaches analyze the videos of each of our games at the moment to see what needs working on. So they will definitely be working on whether to stay or come out and collect or punch this week.

They have been working on it in training with Ted. They know it's a weakness. The goalkeeping coaches analyze the videos of each of our games at the moment to see what needs working on. So they will definitely be working on whether to stay or come out and collect or punch this week.
nice one, sounds the right thing to do, I'll see you down B&L one day.

that Ted should have been advised to wear a cap with a peak to combat the low sun.......

really a mark down on goalkeeeping coach and coaching staff......

that said it look as if their goal was down to Antons poor header - maybe he lacked confidence in Ted or Ted lacked the confidence to call - but goalkeepers wearing a cap to counter sun was in all those old time coaching books -
Did'nt get to the game so can't comment on the possible usefulness of a peaked cap........................... I always wear a trilby:stunned:

Yes seen caps loads of times, if he did see that ball he should have commanded, punched it away.
He obviously lost sight of the ball in the sun once he'd left his line and was nowhere near getting a fist to the ball-actually if he'd stayed on the line there's no way they'd have scored.
It doesn't look like Bentley has improved his coping with crosses yet though-I've just seen Brighton score 2 headers in the middle of the 6yard box from looping centres.

Did'nt get to the game so can't comment on the possible usefulness of a peaked cap........................... I always wear a trilby:stunned:

I thought men in Bolton wore these.
3ABDC44D00000578-3950222-image-a-14_1480066341793.jpg

that Ted should have been advised to wear a cap with a peak to combat the low sun.......

really a mark down on goalkeeeping coach and coaching staff......

that said it look as if their goal was down to Antons poor header - maybe he lacked confidence in Ted or Ted lacked the confidence to call - but goalkeepers wearing a cap to counter sun was in all those old time coaching books -

It was definitely all Anton's fault - if he'd have won the toss then we wouldn't have been kicking the wrong way in the first half!

If you freeze the point when Anton heads it, I think Ted would have got a punch on that anyway, or done enough to put the striker off.

That said, there's no direct blame to either of them, for me. Just one of those things that you learn from and move on.

Our third goal comes partly from their keeper not dealing perfectly with a corner and they were top of the league!

Last edited:
I don't know if its been mentioned on this thread already but I have a sinking feeling that its only a matter of time before Smith has the ball passed back to him to only air shot it and see the ball trickle in to the net.

He has had many close shaves already and nearly had a couple on Saturday. I think he has done great since coming into the side and done some fantastic saves and I rate him highly. Its only this tiny thing that I think he needs to pay extra attention too. Just take a touch when possible, and usually he has the time to do that, don't take un-needed risks.

I don't know if its been mentioned on this thread already but I have a sinking feeling that its only a matter of time before Smith has the ball passed back to him to only air shot it and see the ball trickle in to the net.

He has had many close shaves already and nearly had a couple on Saturday. I think he has done great since coming into the side and done some fantastic saves and I rate him highly. Its only this tiny thing that I think he needs to pay extra attention too. Just take a touch when possible, and usually he has the time to do that, don't take un-needed risks.

Dan Bentley always seemed to leave it to the last second before clearing the ball as an attacker bore down on him, BUT, BUT don't mention keeper's taking a touch. Every time I see it, it makes my heart stop and I panic. :unsure: Just put yer foot through it, now. :smile:

There is no reason why a cap can't be put into the net along with his towel and a water bottle and used as required.

Certainly in the old days, most goalkeepers would have had a cap.

Showing your age mate. No self respecting keeper would be seen dead with a cap now.

Back