• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

IT's OFF!

I do NOT remember this, being just a baby at the time but I'm given to understand there was 4 months of snow from Christmas Eve and the Thames froze from here across to Sheppey! Schools stayed open and people went to work, none of this namby pamby stuff we have these days.

Ahhh but in those days Health and Safety didnt really exist and is someone slipped over they didnt look around for someone to sue for their own stupidity....And i didnt realise that you were a baby well into your twenties back then either Kay ;)

Ahhh but in those days Health and Safety didnt really exist and is someone slipped over they didnt look around for someone to sue for their own stupidity....And i didnt realise that you were a baby well into your twenties back then either Kay ;)

:thump: cheek!

Not a patch on 1962/63 when the sea froze at Southend. It started snowing on Boxing Day and there was barely any football until March. That was the year the pools panel were founded.

Edit: Just seen Mick's post.
Ah CS these younsters dont remember that winter. If i remember it right the thames froze, and ice breakers had to be brought in to clear a passage to London.

Ah CS these younsters dont remember that winter. If i remember it right the thames froze, and ice breakers had to be brought in to clear a passage to London.

I certainly a famous photo where the water was frozen all the way out to the end of the pier. You are probably right about the ice breaker as in those days the main docks were in London and not Tilbury as now.

Well a nice break for the players from matches. That will be 19 days without a match (on the basis Huddersfield goes ahead!).

This is the longest break between matches within a season that we have had for 25 years.

Having lost 3-0 at Hereford on New Year's Day 1985, we then had a gap of 25 days until our next match. Not that it did us any good, as we went to Chester on 26 January and lost 5-1!! But this was one of our worst seasons ever of course, when we finished up 20th in Division 4.

If the game at Huddersfield is called off and our next game is the home match against Wycombe, then the break will be even longer than 25 years ago, at 26 days.

Back