• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Lets be clear. Im always willing to give anyone coming into the club a chance and have done with paul sturrock .

I also feel that without paul coming in when he did that we may well have gone into non league football.

My point is that we have never played the way under sturrock that the fans would like to see. Last season we put up with it because it was getting results and it could be justified.

This season we have been stripped of our best players either they have been sold injured or just plainly refused to play for the club.

You could argue that this is not the managers fault and rightly so , but the show must always go on and any manager worth his salt should be able to push the club on again.

I think with this in mind some of sturrocks signings have been really poor. Spicer Straker and benyon are some of the poorest players we have had down at the club for 10 years.

I think that maybe sturrock as wiley an old fox as he is needs to be replaced with a younger or hungrier manager from non league.

Every week its the same old excuses wether we are playing top of the league or bottom.

That performance tonight was as bad as i have seen from a southend side , particularly first half and given it was against a side that had lost 7 straight.

The excellent fan base that was built under rons early tenure of the club has evaporated and this tonight was a close to being back to Alvin Martin and Allen Little etc as i can remember.

Its imperative to get out of this league as quickly and im afraid that under Paul sturrock we will not get out of this league for a few seasons yet.

I actually beleive we have a much much better squad than our performances suggests and that to me tells me that we are not getting anywhere near the levels we should achieve and the buck stops with sturrock.

You can say that this is a knee jerk reaction , but like i said i have never been a fan , but have accepted that we got results. We are being embaressed this season regularly and people will not suffer this poor excuse for football at £21 a go.

The club cannot afford to lose 1000 people off the gate and this we must be down by about that much gate wise.

Thanks for all your hard work Paul , but its time to give some younger or hungrier blood a go.

A certain braintree town manager would do for me.

Sacking Sturrock would be a back-wards step, besides, we probably can't afford it.

Sacking any manager is always a risk , but its a given that as we are we will not make any impact this season.

The performances and squad selections have been too lacklustre for too long to be coincidence.

We seriously probably can't afford to sack him. When's his contract till. Also, I really don't see us as a good proposition for any decent manager.

Thanks for all your hard work Paul , but its time to give some younger or hungrier blood a go.

A certain braintree town manager would do for me.

Make up your mind !!

Alan Devonshire is older than Sturrock.

And like i have already said there has been plenty going on that have been out of sturrocks hands , but the show has to go on and when your players are played off the park by barnet with only 2 points and aldershot a team that had lost 7 in a row then questions need asking.

The effort put in tonight was criminal as were the tactics. (AGAIN!)

Its not acceptable.

What's his age got to do with things? Why would you choose a younger and less hungry manager?

Dont usually post much on here these days but will tonight, first of all i dont see how sacking P.S will make things better, most likely worse. After supporting the club for many many years, i have not lost the love for the club but recently have really started to ask myself why i bother spending my time and money going to watch displays like tonight, i went rotherham last weekend, and the 2nd half was was a delight to watch, we played so well, but not just that, the way the players celebrated, seemed to be such a good feeling but then since we lose on saturday, then tonight was just terrible, no excuses, only so many times we can blame the ref, unlucky etc. Same with the Burton game, what is going on. Lucky to get a point against a poor barnet team, how can the players say they dont like playing at Roots Hall, crowds are dropping game by game, there be a biggish crowd saturday i imagine due to the kids for a quid but next game after that will again be a poor crowd. To be fair i dont blame people no wanting to go, when they charge 21 pound to watch games like that and see that effort from the players. Sadly i cant see it getting better either, If we sack P.S it cost it loads, plus who will actually want take over with all these money issues etc.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON, maybe im just annoyed and upset but im really concerned about the way its going for all at southend united, can tell my being in the ground or the pubs before the game, its not what is use to be supporting the club at the moment.

Sturrock has a full squad - all being paid - a lot more than Tilson had -

plus Sturrock is competing against clubs operating on gates of 1.5k and similar -

plus someone told me the only reason Tilson got promoted was cos of Eastwood and Sturrock has got Eastwood -

I feel gutted to have parted with 21 quid tonight, but to be honest I have never been to a match in the PS era where I have come away thinking that was money well spent. I'm going on Saturday cause my best mate supports York..otherwise I wouldn't go for a while. I think a new manager would attract interest again amongst supporters..who generally don't enjoy watching this style, and haven't for some time

It's not the end of the world. With players like Phillips, Eastwood and Corr fully fit, we could still finish top 7. But one thing for sure, Spicer, Leonard, Harris and Benyon need to be squad players. One or Two really strong forward driving midfielders are a must, if we are to go on a bit of a run. The midfield is a shambles at the moment, and a massive weak point, that is allowing even the rubbish teams to pour straight through, and put the defence under too much pressure.

It's not the end of the world. With players like Phillips, Eastwood and Corr fully fit, we could still finish top 7. But one thing for sure, Spicer, Leonard, Harris and Benyon need to be squad players. One or Two really strong forward driving midfielders are a must, if we are to go on a bit of a run. The midfield is a shambles at the moment, and a massive weak point, that is allowing even the rubbish teams to pour straight through, and put the defence under too much pressure.

We should be far more than a top 7 we should be up in the automatic places with the players we have. We go and thump Rotherham away and then lose to games on the bounce, inconsistency has always been our issue.

I don't know what we will achieve by getting rid of PS however something needs to be done, his third season at the club and we are still struggling in league 2. The aim was promotion last season which the club financed by big wages and we failed, we peaked to early in the season and PS failed to motivate them to stay at the top.

I don't know who will want to come into a club where the finances are abysmal, the wages can be either unpaid or delayed and players not playing to their potential.

If PS goes and we were to bring anyone else in it would be nice to see, Sean Dyche or Steve Cotteril for me, both experienced at financial constraints and certainly Cotteril knows this division

Sturrock is saying over confidence played a big part in the result
so what did the other 6 teams do

One thing last night for me shows the passion in the team at the moment, we scored a goal to make it one one at HOME and instead of running back to line up in the effort to score a second they all went and got a drink. PATHETIC:

Back