• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wouldn't be in favour of a change yet, but if it came to it I was thinking JE would be worth a punt given how well he's done in non-league. Local lad, ties to the club, etc..

Really ?

He failed at Billericay, Fisher folded, he failed at Grays, Rushden folded, so far so good at Newport. Given every other club he's managed has gone belly up, I'm not sure I'd want us to be next in line.

Where any of them his fault or was it a case of a series of clubs looking to appoint someone who had experience of managing teams on the brink?

Edinburgh seems to me to be an outstanding candidate for the next time there's a managerial vacancy here.

Why is Paul sturrock working miracles exactly?

Ok granted when he came in we had no team but that was 3 years ago. We have been under a short embargo this season , but paul sturrock has a great squad of players which a lot of other managers would love to manage.

If sturrock thinks his hands are tied then how the **** are accrington burton morecambe aldershot managers coping.

Its nonsense to say that sturrock is as good as it gets. York city probably have half our budget but played much more inventive football and may well finish above us in the table. We have been beaten by accrington aldershot and drawn with barnet all of which are minnows in budget comparison.

Truth is we have a decent squad which is not being used well and are certainly not winning games or entertaining.

That all points to a change of manager for me.

Sturrock is making the best of a bad job .From what I have been hearing he isnt getting any help from our dead beat chairman .And if anyone thinks Devonshire would be any better take a look at where Braintree are at the moment .One good season and they are following grays footsteps . If anyone needs to go its
Sturrocks so called assistant .Again from what I have heard the problem with the player is him .Last time we went on the great run last season Sturrocks other assistant was kick into touch .Maybe it should happen again .One voice rather than two .

All due respect braintree town are almost a village team playing the likes of wrexham luton cambridge. A mid table finish is a job bloody well done.

Why is Paul sturrock working miracles exactly?

Ok granted when he came in we had no team but that was 3 years ago. We have been under a short embargo this season , but paul sturrock has a great squad of players which a lot of other managers would love to manage.

If sturrock thinks his hands are tied then how the **** are accrington burton morecambe aldershot managers coping.

Its nonsense to say that sturrock is as good as it gets. York city probably have half our budget but played much more inventive football and may well finish above us in the table. We have been beaten by accrington aldershot and drawn with barnet all of which are minnows in budget comparison.

Truth is we have a decent squad which is not being used well and are certainly not winning games or entertaining.

That all points to a change of manager for me.

It was two years ago, not three.

I doubt other League Two managers would be queuing up around the block to swap their squads for ours. We have a decent League Two squad, like we did last season.

I dread to think what would have happened to our club with another manager in charge. To have us midtable with the financial problems here and the cloud of negativity over Roots Hall is an achievement which shouldn't be underestimated.

It genuinely staggers me that anyone who sat witnessed the effects of the revolving door policy on the manager's door here between 1994 and 2004 would want to go back to that. It seems to me that we've been very fortunate to have had two very good managers over the last eight years and that some people have taken that for granted.

Recently watched an interview with the current Portsmouth manager,He gave a fascinating insight on player contracts with various clauses written into those deals,Loan players seem to be a minefield with their parent club demanding money if they dont play 1st team football regardless if they are playing well,Perhaps PS on team selection has at times had his hands tied.

Really ?

He failed at Billericay, Fisher folded, he failed at Grays, Rushden folded, so far so good at Newport. Given every other club he's managed has gone belly up, I'm not sure I'd want us to be next in line.

Erm, if you say he failed at any of those clubs I'd say you were being pretty harsh! He got Fisher promoted after leaving Billericay in a good position, kept Grays mid-table in the conference which was no mean feat, took a skint Rushden to the play-offs, and is doing great at Newport. The fact a couple of them went bust has got nothing to do with him.

If a change did happen I think he'd be a great shout. Although he may prefer to steer well clear of course..

It would appear from todays Ech that PS is looking to improve his scouting processes into the BS leagues
He reckons there must be more Ryan Halls out there in deepest darkest Essex or into London

Is Cluniemore still lurking on this thread ?

It would appear from todays Ech that PS is looking to improve his scouting processes into the BS leagues
He reckons there must be more Ryan Halls out there in deepest darkest Essex or into London

You would think Sturrock would have right of way of improving the scouting system. A bid to get in unearthed gems as we can't shell out on transfer fees but the amendments may not happen as he has to have permission from Ron. And we all know he has a history of vetoing people. Bedsides I thought Sturrock had changed the scouting system just after he arrived.

At last Sturrock has seen sense and started to look at the non-league scene in the South East. John Still has had success with this policy as did Tilly with his signings from Grays. Maybe Sturroc'ks son, now at Bishops Stortford can give his Dad a few leads after playing with and against Blue Square North teams.

It is all pretty hypothetical guys. With an on/off transfer embargo, a reputation for not paying staff wages regularly and importantly next to no money PS could have the best scouting network in he world but it wouldn't change things one bit in terms of his ability to attract the best of the up and coming talent to SUFC. We need to get real.

It is all pretty hypothetical guys. With an on/off transfer embargo, a reputation for not paying staff wages regularly and importantly next to no money PS could have the best scouting network in he world but it wouldn't change things one bit in terms of his ability to attract the best of the up and coming talent to SUFC. We need to get real.

Yeah cos non league talent would hate to play infront 5k. You need to get real we have a bigger budget than most in this division. We are just not using it or the players wisely.

We are less destitute than a hell of lot of other teams in this division.

Yeah cos non league talent would hate to play infront 5k. You need to get real we have a bigger budget than most in this division. We are just not using it or the players wisely.

We are less destitute than a hell of lot of other teams in this division.

A million a year isn't that big a budget. Bigger than some maybe, but I doubt that slightly higher budget makes up for the lack of certainty the players must have about whether they'll even get paid. I imagine that we have probably a top eight budget and that we'll probably finish in the top eight in the division.

At the end of the day, whether it's a million a year, half a million a year or one and a half million a year we're still shopping in the bargain basement and when you do that you're more likely than not to buy rubbish.

I'm sure they would love to play in front of 5k (and falling) a week - so would I!! But the question you have to ask yourself is they might look good in the Essex Senior League (or similar) or in a one off cup game against our stiffs - but have they the necessary attributes to succeed full-time in L2 week in week out? Very few drop out the FL and then come back (ala Michael Kightly and Freddy Eastwood)

My main point though is that the top three budgets in most leagues will invariably fill the top 3 positions at the end of the season. We might pick up a few good players along the way but at the moment there will always be 4 or 5 teams in the division that will pick up better - and that is all it takes to consign you to another season in L2. Look at Swindon last year. Happy to sell us Benyon and Timlin becasue they knew that they would would replace them with interest. We may be 'less destitute' than a lot of clubs in this division BUT the finances dictate we are play-off at best at the moment - and we know what a lottery they are.

I don't think the team are underperforming overall or indeed is Sturrock - and all things being equal with injuries etc we should be nailed on for top 8. But that at the moment is all we have to look forward to - scouting network or no scouting network.

Back