• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, Flavs haters,

How much does flavs pay you wiggy to write these posts about him.
Proffesional. Yes (even after all the problems he had)
Great shot stopper. Yes, but most of the saves he made looked so amazing because he had to dive that little bit further than other keepers.
Best hands in the business!!! Do make me laugh. We went through league 2 and 1 because we had a very strong and experienced defence which meant daryl never had to come for cross. As soon as these players left/ retired/ got injured and he started to having come for crosses we conceded buckets of goals.

Now im not a flavs basher, infact i loved the guy, but thinking football wise he is too weak in the air for a goalkeeper and especially now teams know exactly how to score goals against him. So maybe its you that should stop being such a moron and think about the club pushing forward as a whole instead of a little crush you have on the players!

What are you doing in this thread? Shouldn't you be over in the Battle of the beers discussion voting for Guinness! Its losing you know; to Corona...

Flavs has been good for us and doesnt deserve the abuse that some people give him.
Last season, imho, his lack of height and lack of willingness to come for crosses was more exposed than ever before because the defenders kept forgetting to mark their man at set pieces, leaving the opposition with a free header. Dont get me wrong, there were times when he should have come off his line, but the defending could have been a lot better to help him.
During his time he has saved us a lot more times than he has let us down. Just think back to the days of Pruhdoe and im sure you'll agree it was good to have him here.

Flavs has been good for us and doesnt deserve the abuse that some people give him.
Last season, imho, his lack of height and lack of willingness to come for crosses was more exposed than ever before because the defenders kept forgetting to mark their man at set pieces, leaving the opposition with a free header. Dont get me wrong, there were times when he should have come off his line, but the defending could have been a lot better to help him.
During his time he has saved us a lot more times than he has let us down. Just think back to the days of Pruhdoe and im sure you'll agree it was good to have him here.

I don't necessarily buy into this whole "Darryl doesn't come for crosses" notion either. I don't think he's the best at it, true, but it really didn't help that we were making unforced error after unforced error right slap bang in front of him on a weekly basis. We were often left exposed by Hammell's venture forwards, Hunt playing at right back one week and then not the next and Clarke and Barretts poor communication until after Christmas. Hopefully our new Number 1 will improve this area, but an all-round collective effort is needed to put this old chestnut to bed...

Flavs might not be the the greatest keeper ever,but he always gives his
best.
Always responsive to the fans and just 6 short of the keeper record for the blues,give credit people the boy done good.

Well said Swiss, he is our best keeper since sansome in my opinion. I believe Mildenhall has big boots to fill (please spare me the flahaven is short quips.

Well said Swiss, he is our best keeper since sansome in my opinion. I believe Mildenhall has big boots to fill (please spare me the flahaven is short quips.

Royce came after Sammy and Flavs isn't half the keeper that Roycie was (and still is).

I like Flavs, I've rated him for a long time, I've defended him from the unfair attacks on him in the past but enough is enough. The second goal we conceeded at Doncaster was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back in my eyes and I suspect in the eyes of the Management team here. For all his shot-stopping ability (and on form there's few better in the country) a goalkeeper needs to have more than that. He needs to be strong on crosses and he needs to dominate his six yard box. When we had one of Prior or Sodje attacking the first ball in the Promotion seasons, Darryl played some fantastic football as he was free to stay on his line and be the shot-stopper that we all know that he is. But without a centre-half of that ilk we need more from our goalkeeper.

Darryl will always be a favourite of the crowd here and I'm sure is guaranteed a top reception if he returns with another club, but I think it's possible for a lot of us who like him and have rated him over the years to not be totally blind to his short-comings (no pun intended) and to feel that those short-comings now outweigh the assets that he brings to the side.

Will be gutted to see him go. Didn't just play a huge role in back to back promotions but played a blinder against Manu. Will always be a Southend Legend to me.

Flavs has had so many better games than the Man United game. Sodje and Prior were the real heroes that night, but Flavs has had his fair share of nights as the hero.

Royce came after Sammy and Flavs isn't half the keeper that Roycie was (and still is).

I like Flavs, I've rated him for a long time, I've defended him from the unfair attacks on him in the past but enough is enough. The second goal we conceeded at Doncaster was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back in my eyes and I suspect in the eyes of the Management team here. For all his shot-stopping ability (and on form there's few better in the country) a goalkeeper needs to have more than that. He needs to be strong on crosses and he needs to dominate his six yard box. When we had one of Prior or Sodje attacking the first ball in the Promotion seasons, Darryl played some fantastic football as he was free to stay on his line and be the shot-stopper that we all know that he is. But without a centre-half of that ilk we need more from our goalkeeper.

Darryl will always be a favourite of the crowd here and I'm sure is guaranteed a top reception if he returns with another club, but I think it's possible for a lot of us who like him and have rated him over the years to not be totally blind to his short-comings (no pun intended) and to feel that those short-comings now outweigh the assets that he brings to the side.

I know exactly when royce came along, but i still prefer flavs. Although royce was exceptional at roots hall for QPR.

I sense some sarcasm :)

Whilst Roycie had a 'mare on his return to the Hall with QPR, we'd have been home and dry by half time on Boxing Day against almost any other keeper in this division. Winning player of the year in a relegated side may not mean much but people still go on about Maher for us in 06/07.

Aside from kicking I can't think of a single aspect of his game that Flahavan is better at than Royce. And even Flavs' kicking was hardly a strong-point of his game.

Can someone point me in the direction of the abuse? I've seen plenty of posts mocking his height but given that a basic requirement of his job is being able to catch high balls, that doesn't seem abusive at all.

It's a beautiful situation seeing wiggy complaining about a player being abused. I fear that if Flahavan does leave, a lot of people will hvae to up their game to get a rise out of wiggy. Flahavan is very much her achilles heel behind an aggressive attack.

wiggy i couldnt agree with you more!!!!
flavs has been awesome throughout his entire career at the hall! you can never fault his commitment and his shot stopping is second to none!!
daryll you will definently be missed!!!!
good post wiggy!

So why don't the beer guts get it?

Last edited:
I think for a player that has won 2 back to back promotions , has played so many games for us , has rarely let us down and has a fantastic clean sheet record , Flavs deserves nothing but respect from the Fans of SUFC .

If i was to pick a player based on pure consistancy from over the last 5 years then it would be Flavs , time to bite your tongues Flavs haters and give the man some credit and let at least one thread to do with him go by without any personal abuse.

All the people that slate him for his height should remember that for a keeper that is so small and can't command his box he aint done bad in his career and has ended up in the 2nd tier of football for a side that will challenge for promotion.

Brillliant, that's what i was trying to say!

Waiting to hear if we've got rid of him is like waiting for him to finally decide whether to come for a cross: he'll end up taking too long making his mind up and the opportunity is gone.

Knew you'd pop up, probably THE most clueless idiot on here. Most posters have some idea but this bloke....................!

I think the unfortunate thing is that people are becoming Flavs haters due to Wiggy's blindness in the fact that he has some faults.

I started supporting close to the end of Sammy's reign in goal so since then have seen a couple of good keepers (Royce, Flavs), and a lot of bad ones so I have seen a lot.

I have been a big fan of Flavs over the years and think he has certainly single handedly won us some games. After games like this I feel people have rightly lauded him but because of Wiggy's posts where he/she/it refuses to even discuss anyone elses opinion people have started doing the exact same in the opposite and not accepting any of his good points.

To be honest Wiggy I think you have bought on the constant Flav bashing yourself.

Will you admit once and for all that Flavs has a lot of good points but then he certainly isn't the best keeper in the world, probably not even in this division. I accept he has been a great player for the club and will have many fond memories but certainly know that he isn't perfect and there are certainly better keepers around (and until I have seen Mildenhall I will not comment)

I think the unfortunate thing is that people are becoming Flavs haters due to Wiggy's blindness in the fact that he has some faults.

I started supporting close to the end of Sammy's reign in goal so since then have seen a couple of good keepers (Royce, Flavs), and a lot of bad ones so I have seen a lot.

I have been a big fan of Flavs over the years and think he has certainly single handedly won us some games. After games like this I feel people have rightly lauded him but because of Wiggy's posts where he/she/it refuses to even discuss anyone elses opinion people have started doing the exact same in the opposite and not accepting any of his good points.

To be honest Wiggy I think you have bought on the constant Flav bashing yourself.

Will you admit once and for all that Flavs has a lot of good points but then he certainly isn't the best keeper in the world, probably not even in this division. I accept he has been a great player for the club and will have many fond memories but certainly know that he isn't perfect and there are certainly better keepers around (and until I have seen Mildenhall I will not comment)

Of course i will agree he's not the best in the world as i along with everyone else cringe as the high balls come in. However this is Southend cheap skate united and quite honestly Flavs is one of 4 that you should be trying to keep. Mildenhall maybe ok but can't see the Championship clubs queing up tbh. Therefore why are we taking in yet another inferior keeper, is it the testimonial situation that is worrying car dealer Ron?

Flahavan is not a bad keeper, he helped get us into the championship, but lets be fair here, he's not the best. He lacks height and doesn't really command his area much, two key things for a keeper. In my opinion, he should move on to better and greater things, but not just yet.

i dont usually post on here much but this wiggy seems to be in love with flav's and not sufc - by all means love the guy but sod of and play bingo or something because your post 's really get on my tits. and yes i have a beer gut - so fooking what

people seem to forget were not letting him go, he wants to leave, we have offered him a new contract but doesnt want it. Flavs is a legend and always will be. there is no doubt he is one of or even the best shot stopper in this league however i think a change is in order. he has got too comfortable being the number one and is not the same player he used to be. take collis for example he was the number one, done nothing wrong, darryl threw his toys out of his pram and walked straight back in.
good luck to him wherever he goes and lets show mildenhall our support, sorry wiggy the darryl era has passed and its time to move on.

wiggy i couldnt agree with you more!!!!
flavs has been awesome throughout his entire career at the hall! you can never fault his commitment and his shot stopping is second to none!!
daryll you will definently be missed!!!!
good post wiggy!

For a first post and to agree with Wiggy...jeez what is the world coming too!

Certainly not a flav hater love the fella in fact but............the last two seasons certainly have not been his best, and maybe a change would be best all round, would never slate himfor the sake of it but his shortcomings(no height joke intended) have been highlighted on plenty of occasions, would wish him all the best and thank him for some great memories

Back