• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So you don't believe he is better than any of our midfielders, or even central midfielders?

Except the problem is he is not a midfielder and he is not a winger. He is a playmaker. He is best suited to a 4-3-3 formation behind the front 2.

He does not suit our standard 4-4-2 formation.

Sorry, are we talking about karma for leaving Southend or karma for celebrating a promotion?

I don't see it as karma. I see it a player that Southend nurtured and gave an opportunity and after a handful of games and few decent performances , he thought he was above the club.

He didn't give the club a good return from a playing sense, for what the club have him. Bentley served his time and has reaped the benefit. Payne went before his time and has been involved less and less at Huddersfield. Now he is surplus to requirements. From a career point of view he will more than likely never play for Huddersfield again. Hardly makes him a winner. Financially he has cracked it!

I don't see it as karma. I see it a player that Southend nurtured and gave an opportunity and after a handful of games and few decent performances , he thought he was above the club.

He didn't give the club a good return from a playing sense, for what the club have him. Bentley served his time and has reaped the benefit. Payne went before his time and has been involved less and less at Huddersfield. Now he is surplus to requirements. From a career point of view he will more than likely never play for Huddersfield again. Hardly makes him a winner. Financially he has cracked it!

Thought he was above us, or accepted the best offer when he was out of contract and entitled to do so? Had the club wanted a longer commitment, it could have offered him a longer deal when he signed professional terms. JP played over 2.5 times as many games for us as Collymore did and was instrumental in establishing us in League 1. I'd call that a solid shift.

I'm sure that he will be a much better player now that when he left a year ago. He's not the only one who Huddersfield don't see as good enough for the PL - Nahki Wells is up for sale. If he'd signed another contract with us he still be stuck here as we don't sell anyone. If he goes to Oxford I can see them doing very well with their new young Spanish manager. Good luck to him he clearly wants to play football rather than sitting on his backside just picking up his pay cheque.

Jack is looking forward to the Premier League.

WSJ80d.jpg

Shame he won't play that this season. He will be lining up against us next season.

Jack Payne

Signs a season long loan for Oxford...A backwards move, 4 games in one season at a higher level and then back where he started the season before .Should have stayed one more season and developed with us

Can't fault a player for ambition, but how many said it was too much too soon?

If it was his agent who instigated the move initially then he should look for a new one!

No doubt he is earning more having taken a 'backwards move' than he would if he was still with us. Good business on his part and maybe the opportunity to gain pitch minutes and further enhance his reputation and hone his abilities.

I find this all very sad that he didn't even think about returning to Southend Just wonder is that was phil browns wow factor .

I wish him well .......... but the fact that I hope he is not on the pitch when we play Oxford tells me that I think he is a player who can be a difficult opponent.

Having said that I am not sure that I would want him back and I'm not quite sure why but perhaps it is the theories about formation and style of play.

It will be interesting to see how he gets on. :thumbsup:

Some of the comments here are really, really bizarre. Strange that Bentley, who for a long time resisted signing a new deal with us to seal his move away, has not been subjected to the same kind of comments that Payne has, and at the time there was a great deal more confusion over his deal.

Payne played a peripheral but important role in helping Huddersfield win an unexpected promotion last year. I dare say even he'd admit that he's not a Premier League player yet. It's a season-long loan so he doesn't spend a year picking splinters out of his arse with the occasional farce of an U23 game.

Hoping the career of a player we helped nurture and develop collapses in flames? Give over. You sound like a bitter, spurned ex.

It is rare that I agree so fully with a post on the Zone, let alone one from a protagonist such as you. The comments of some on this thread towards Jack are utterly bizarre, and frankly, quite sad. Large numbers of us said last year that it was a season too soon, and I'm actually quite sad to have been proved right.

Great bit of business though, from the club, in securing an up front deal in a career which doesn't look as if it's going to be paying large dividends in the future.

"But Jack was a die hard Southend fan how could he do this....................................................
......................................................................................................................................?"

Oh, no he's just a Professional Footballer, easily to confuse the two i guess......

It is rare that I agree so fully with a post on the Zone, let alone one from a protagonist such as you. The comments of some on this thread towards Jack are utterly bizarre, and frankly, quite sad. Large numbers of us said last year that it was a season too soon, and I'm actually quite sad to have been proved right.

Great bit of business though, from the club, in securing an up front deal in a career which doesn't look as if it's going to be paying large dividends in the future.

Let's be perfectly clear.

He was never coming back here to be f***ed about by Brown again.

Just a victim of Huddersfield s success ,no doubt needing squad space with their unplanned season in the premiership

Being honest his a luxury player who you have to put a system around him. You can't just slot him in to a traditional 442 and make it work, so I'm not too fussed that he hasn't come back here instead of Oxford.

Back