• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

JCR

ldnfatso

Red Rep King!
How long are we gonna keep kidding ourselves that he should be in the team? Lets face it, he has been given the ball no end of times this season, but has anyone actually seen a decent cross? or indeed anything productive?

Given, i think he does work his socks off by chasing back when the ball is lost but once in possession we have no end product.

Also, look at the marked difference in how we played once he had gone off tonight against Norwich. It was like watching a different team.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ldnfatso @ Sep. 13 2006,00:05)]How long are we gonna keep kidding ourselves that he should be in the team? Lets face it, he has been given the ball no end of times this season, but has anyone actually seen a decent cross? or indeed anything productive?

Given, i think he does work his socks off by chasing back when the ball is lost but once in possession we have no end product.

Also, look at the marked difference in how we played once he had gone off tonight against Norwich. It was like watching a different team.
Spot on, be better employed by Zippo's circus!

Have to completely disagree , On numerous occasions JCR got the ball on the wing looked up to cross into the box.....and no one was there!!!

Freddy always drop back as we know but paynter and others didn't see to want to take the chance

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dloman @ Sep. 13 2006,00:17)]Have to completely disagree , On numerous occasions JCR got the ball on the wing looked up to cross into the box.....and no one was there!!!

Freddy always drop back as we know but paynter and others didn't see to want to take the chance
and then rather than do anything productive lost the ball!

I think its harsh to pin-point JCR going off as being the turning point. I'm far from being his biggest fan but he played alright tonight.

"JCR goes round and round, round and round, round and round, JCR goes round and round, all match long"

Dloman makes a very valid point though, more so on Saturday but noticeable on more than one occassion tonight.

On plenty of occasions first half, he fed Francis to cross unopposed and the ball bounced on the six yard line. Paynter managed to clip one of these but the others went by completely unchallenged.

Also agree with dloman. If Harrold manages to play as energetically next game at West Brom, it will be a different story for JCR I feel. I am starting to get a little frustrated that someone with his pace so rarely runs the line but then keeping possession when nothing else is on, as Norwich demonstrated for their first goal, may be key at this level.

Interesting headache for Tilson I rekcon givent he lack of right wing options onthe bench, particularly if what we are hearing about Cole is true.

Hey thats what i am here for!!!!

To see the good in people
biggrin.gif
even wiggy

actually thought at the start was quite promising to see gutts playing further forward than maher but after we scored this stopped happening.

In fairness the Norwich players put a lot of men on him and I have to agree. I think we really miss Bentley making those runs into the box, Gutts is just sitting too deep and JCR doesnt really have much to aim for. However I thought there was a 20min spell in the 2nd half where Francis put in more quality balls than JCR has done in his whole southend career.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ Sep. 13 2006,08:25)]However I thought there was a 20min spell in the 2nd half where Francis put in more quality balls than JCR has done in his whole southend career.
That will be 2 then!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ldnfatso @ Sep. 13 2006,09:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ Sep. 13 2006,08:25)]However I thought there was a 20min spell in the 2nd half where Francis put in more quality balls than JCR has done in his whole southend career.
That will be 2 then!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Bit harsh I think.

JCR is a constant threa with his pace, trickery and work rate.

I find it comical that everyone seems to have made him scapegoat for all that is bad.

We have had hundreds of wingers down the years that couldn't pass, beat a man, cross and I can assure you that JCR is none of them.

I think its time for a reality check. JCR is a class player who can beat players for fun. As someone pointed out his end product can lack sometimes but if it didnt I am pretty sure he would not be at Southend but a much bigger club.

DtS
blush.gif

I lost count of the amount of times we had absolutely nobody in the box when we had possession on the wings - I've not no complaints with the assessment that he sometimes needs to get the early ball in, but if he put loads of crosses in and they all ran out for a throw in, I think he would be getting even more stick.

Personally, I'm a fan and he is certainly an excellent player technically. What people forget is that he is still relatively young and the deficiencies he has can be worked on easily with coaching. However, you can't coach natural ability like that and this is why it frustrates me when people get on his back during a game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ldnfatso @ Sep. 13 2006,00:05)]How long are we gonna keep kidding ourselves that he should be in the team? Lets face it, he has been given the ball no end of times this season, but has anyone actually seen a decent cross? or indeed anything productive?
Careful mate you'll get lynched on here with talk like that - most people can't see the obvious flaws in JCR's game.......

JCR was poor last night but I do wish people would stop making him a scapegoat. Yes, he can be frustrating but as has been mentioned already, you can't blame him for occasionally taking an extra touch and/or slipping the ball inside when we constantly have a lack of numbers in the box for a cross. On Saturday he put over two glorious crosses that would have been converted if only his teammates had bothered to attack the six-yard box.

Calls for JCR to be dropped are premature. If he has a run of performances like last night then fair enough but overall he's been one of our best players so far this season and I dare say he's covered more ground than any other player.

What I can't understand is calls for Mitchell Cole to replace JCR when: a) Cole has exactly the same deficiencies as JCR; and b) he isn't as fit or as physically strong.

Why can't people see that there is no point putting crosses over if no one is in the box!! We do not have players who are prepared to get into the box early to recieve those kinds of balls! Eastwood hardly ever wins a header, paynter obviously doesnt want to get into the box and the midfield seem like they aren't interested in following up attacks!

It may seem like what I am saying is just moaning but last night there would have been absolutely no point in putting crosses over a) because no one was attacking them and b) the norwich defence were comfortable with the ball in the air but looked shaky if the ball was in the 18yard box on the ground.

As for jcr i really think we haven't seen the best of him yet and that there is more to come! His workrate however is just phenomenal - covering in centre mid and tracking back all the way to defence!

Also as a point on the side - paynter worked his socks off last night covering in defence, midfield and all over the pitch. Shame he couldn't score though
tounge.gif

I think now we have Harrold he will be the player that will get in the box and win the headers which is something we have been missing.

In the first half Freddy put a ball out wide to i think JCR, but instead of running into the box ready for the cross he just did his usual slow jog towards the goal and when the cross came in there was nobody there and the defender just collected the ball with no pressure on him whatsoever.

The thing i like about JCR is that he is good on the ball and frightens defenders so then has two or three on him which then leaves space for others to exploit.

We just need a "fox in the box"!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RootsHallRush @ Sep. 13 2006,13:12)]I think now we have Harrold he will be the player that will get in the box and win the headers which is something we have been missing.
And its for that reason I'd rather have Cole as the other wideman - at least he does get balls in. Sure he needs to work on this part of his game as well as a couple of others but the one thing JCR hardly EVER does is get balls into the box. Christ he didn't even do it last season when the Goat was constantly in good positions to hit in and around the 6 yard box/penalty spot and that was a big part of the Goat's game!!!!

JCR has two parts to his game once he's beaten a player (and beaten him brilliantly in most cases) - his decisions consist of should I:

(a) Cut back and beat the player again

or

(b) Cut back and play a backwards ball to Maher/Gutts

The first option is ridiculous and usually results in being dispossessed, the second option is OK to use now and again if there really is no-one he can look for and a backwards ball is the best way to keep possession. What he should be looking to do most of the time as a winger though is hidden option:

© Whip dangerous ball into the box

Now Cole does do this, certainly a LOT more regularly than JCR does or will ever do. Having him left and Gower right would allow BOTH wingers to be able to get to the line which is where deliveries are most dangerous from as they swing away from goalkeepers and defenders.

For my mind it's simple........

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RootsHallRush @ Sep. 13 2006,13:12)]We just need a "fox in the box"!
A fox in the box would be extremely useful if we were getting crosses from both sides but they only come from the left. All this about "what's the point of putting it in when there's no-one in there" is rubbish - Gower puts in some great deliveries from the left on a regular basis and they produce good chances for the forward players. What are people saying now that our strikers are only getting into the box for Gower's deliveries and not JCR's?!!!!

Yes JCR's quick and under normal circumstances you might say that other players can't keep up with his pace and get into the box in time but our strikers have plenty of time to get in good positions as JCR takes so unbelievably long on the ball when he has it. That argument would only come into effect if he was a winger like Cole who had electric pace and uses it mainly to get down the line and put a relatively early ball over. Not once have I seen JCR do this for Southend United.

I am really undecided on JCR, I really like the look of Bradders on that wing, because I dont ever think JCR looks like scoring a goal!!

We need our midfield to pitch in with a few, and currently only Gower is, we know Kev wont, and Gutts realy should, but I just cant see JRC hitting the back of the net!

Back