• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jeremy Clarkson

He mumbles (so as not to say it) a word, which was the legitimate word in the original rhyme, in a piece which is not even broadcast. I think the Mirror is trying to break him.

I'm more horrified that grown men still watch Top Gear to be perfectly honest.

I don't think he had any intention to be racist or cause offence to anyone. The publicists of this story do have an agenda and I believe it is anti Clarkson who works for rivals.

He said in his apology on Twitter, he was trying not to say the word. Then you have to ask why say the rhyme, even if mumbled, in the first place.

I take no interest in his views on politics or green issues because he is an TV host and his job is to entertain us, which he does very well.

He can be an oaf and a baffoon at times, he just needs to engage his brain before opening his mouth, especially in front of a rolling camera.

This is ******** a nothing story made out to be everything. Any excuse to make a scapegoat out of something that I'm guessing started off entirely innocently and left him with nowhere to go. If I had to spend the rest of my life living on eggshells because of things that became innocently ingrained on me when I was a kid I think I'd rather die.

Someone show me a picture of a golliwog and I will call it a ****ing golliwog. Does that make me a racist? Now someone show me a picture of Graham Norton and I'll call him a poof. Does that make me a homophobe? Probably but the point I'm trying badly to make is what was the intent here when JC started reciting the rhyme?

This is ******** a nothing story made out to be everything. Any excuse to make a scapegoat out of something that I'm guessing started off entirely innocently and left him with nowhere to go. If I had to spend the rest of my life living on eggshells because of things that became innocently ingrained on me when I was a kid I think I'd rather die.

Someone show me a picture of a golliwog and I will call it a ****ing golliwog. Does that make me a racist? Now someone show me a picture of Graham Norton and I'll call him a poof. Does that make me a homophobe? Probably but the point I'm trying badly to make is what was the intent here when JC started reciting the rhyme?

No, but probably would if it was a picture of a black person.

Ive sung that rhyme to the kids plenty of times but I always switch the word to Tigger, but you can see how people would still have it ingrained in them. Even using Tigger leaves some connection to the original world by rhyme alone so probably not great on my part.

To even mouth the word or try to obscure it in any way whilst being filmed as pretty stupid, but not racist in the context it was used.

So would there have been the same outcry if he's said 'eenie meenie minie mo, catch a ......... by his toe' and just not said anything where the 'N' word would be and just kept quiet? No, of course not but, the connection is there and anyone that knows the rhyme would have said it to themselves anyway.

As far as I can see it's ok to use the word when it's used in a movie such as 12 Years A Slave (or whatever it was called) but not in the context of an old childrens nursery rhyme. Complete non story if you ask me.

And yes, he's an insufferable knobjockey with very few redeeming features and I gave up watching Top Gear yonks ago partly because of him.

The Beeb cant afford to sack him. I saw its the second highest earning factual programme they produce. If they sacked him he would go and make a show for Discovery or channel 5.
Having said all that, as ORM says, its a complete non story. And similar to Bielzibubz comment, if you sacked everyone in the Wire who used the word they wouldn't have many people left.

And similar to Bielzibubz comment, if you sacked everyone in the Wire who used the word they wouldn't have many people left.

That made me laugh. It would be just be Dominic West doing his Baltimore/Eton hybrid rap and a couple of lads whispering 're-up' every twenty minutes or so.

Clarkson. Yeah, a non-story.

Is this "story" now becoming more of the story behind the leaking of the unused and edited film?
Does Top Gear not have a script and director and would there not have been many many persons on set when the errant take was filmed? And did they instantly object or were they in tacit agreement with an offensively worded nursery ditto?
What was the discussion points that led to the editing? Who recognised the offensive bit, as Clarkson did as it was mumbled?
It is a nothing story BUT it will rumble on.

Clarkson's OTT grovelling apologies are interesting. How he tried so hard not to do it but couldn't stop himself but couldn't manage to and he is literally begging for forgiveness. The way it comes across it sounds like he is up for manslaughter.

I always saw him as an arrogant tool, he is still a tool but now seems less arrogant. Meek doesn't suit him though.

It's a poem he spoke that has been around for years. People frown on it because of the N word but that's the way things are now with political and racial correctness gone mad

It's a poem he spoke that has been around for years. People frown on it because of the N word but that's the way things are now with political and racial correctness gone mad

Gone mad? It's a highly offensive word. Thank god the days are long gone when it was bandied around.

As for Clarkson the BBC have said they'll sack him after one more transgression. Fingers crossed eh?

He mumbles (so as not to say it) a word, which was the legitimate word in the original rhyme, in a piece which is not even broadcast. I think the Mirror is trying to break him.

This, well said Napper

Back