• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jeroen Boere

Was there a minute's silence for Martin Aldridge? I genuinely can't remember.

Hopefully there will at least be a tribute in the programme.

Don't believe so.

Did Aldridge & Boere partner each other upfront at all?

Very unusual that two strikers that played for us just ten years ago have passed away.

Did Aldridge & Boere partner each other upfront at all?

SUFCDB doesn't have an answer to that, although it does have scorers for the 97/98 season and Boere scored in a 2-1 win against Blackpool a few days before Aldridge scored in a 3-0 win vs Plymouth.

From that, one would guess that they must have played together for some time at least.

SUFCDB doesn't have an answer to that, although it does have scorers for the 97/98 season and Boere scored in a 2-1 win against Blackpool a few days before Aldridge scored in a 3-0 win vs Plymouth.

From that, one would guess that they must have played together for some time at least.

According to Soccerbase, Jeroen Boere and Martin Aldridge played up front together on Aldridge's goalscoring debut in the 3-0 win over Plymouth at Roots Hall on 24th February 1998. That's actually one of the few games that I remember pretty well from that season because I've successfully managed to block most of Alvin Martin's reign out of my mind.

Boere got injured towards the end of that match and by the time he was fit again Aldridge's loan had finished.

I've just checked and there appears to not even be an acknowledgement of the news on the OS which seems a bit shabby.

According to Soccerbase, Jeroen Boere and Martin Aldridge played up front together on Aldridge's goalscoring debut in the 3-0 win over Plymouth at Roots Hall on 24th February 1998. That's actually one of the few games that I remember pretty well from that season because I've successfully managed to block most of Alvin Martin's reign out of my mind.

Boere got injured towards the end of that match and by the time he was fit again Aldridge's loan had finished.

Good hunting there Beefy. I was at that Plymouth game too, a rare happy evening during that era!

I am stunned by this news. I didn't see much of his time here in the flesh, but 25 goals in 73 games ain't that bad, despite the slating he gets on here. Our current strikers won't end up with a record like that.

I too sincerely hope this terrible news will be acknowledged on Saturday. Something in the programme and a minutes silence is a must. If nothing is done, then shame on you SUFC.

And why not?

i agree with BA.. I only vaguelly remember Boere and although it is tragic that he died so young, I agree that Silences/Applauses should only be for true southend legends and Boere definitely wasn't one. There should definitely be a piece in the programme but i think to have a minutes recognition to him would probably seem a bit OTT and mean that it sets a precident for every blues player who dies in living memory. I really don't want to come over harsh, but I think it's important that the minutes applauses are saved for players who truely truely deserve them and wouldbe appreciated by both home and away fans (the thought of the Alan Ball tribute still sends shivers down my spine and I never even saw the guy play)

i agree with BA.. I only vaguelly remember Boere and although it is tragic that he died so young, I agree that Silences/Applauses should only be for true southend legends and Boere definitely wasn't one. There should definitely be a piece in the programme but i think to have a minutes recognition to him would probably seem a bit OTT and mean that it sets a precident for every blues player who dies in living memory. I really don't want to come over harsh, but I think it's important that the minutes applauses are saved for players who truely truely deserve them and wouldbe appreciated by both home and away fans (the thought of the Alan Ball tribute still sends shivers down my spine and I never even saw the guy play)

Well I disagree I think the lad deserves a minutes silence!

I vaguely remember something about him being attacked a few years ago and losing sight in an eye. Have i just dreamt that up, or did that actually happen!?

Whilst playing in the Japenese league he was attacked with a samauri sword and had an eye guaged out! Not the luckiest fella in the world.

God rest his soul!

I have to agree as well. Certainly there should be a feature in a future matchday programme but a minute's silence / applause? No. It sets a precedent against all future tragedies.

I have to agree with the last few comments; great shame his life is over so young but we shouldn't let our pity rule our heads here. I think a piece in the programme and a comment before the match would be better.

Would it be in completely bad taste to suggest the Bluebelles should dedicate their half time performance to him? After all - he enjoyed life and I'm sure he would have been watching them instead of warming up at half time.

I'm really not sure if that's a good idea or really, really naff.

Back