• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Joe Gubbins has joined SUFC on loan until the end of the season

But apparently we weren't interested in signing him ??
Right now, I'd be sorely ticked off if I were Chris Phillips.
Am assuming his relationship with the club is close, and for him to tweet there 'is no truth whatsoever' in Gubbins' imminent arrival, makes me wonder.
You don't really want to do that to the local man.

Chris Phillips' journalistic spider sense should have started tingling when the club did not 'insist' there was no truth in the Joe Gubbins rumour....
Believe me, and I know, CP will make a daily call to Kev and get the latest.
Sometimes, a 'deal' will be done when the journo holds back at the request of the club. Maybe, it's worried someone else will nip and pinch the player.

In which case, CP would write 'nothing doing at the moment.'
That's how it works.

For CP to write 'no truth' in rumour means he was lied to - it's as simple as that.
If the club had prevaricated, then CP would probably have gone to the QPR end and got more info.
As said, if that had been me, I would be seething.

Sometimes, a 'deal' will be done when the journo holds back at the request of the club. Maybe, it's worried someone else will nip and pinch the player.

That's how it works.

For CP to write 'no truth' in rumour means he was lied to - it's as simple as that.
If the club had prevaricated, then CP would probably have gone to the QPR end and got more info.
As said, if that had been me, I would be seething.

Maybe Joe Gubbins heard the rumour and forced the move?

If everyone knows "nothing doing at the moment" means "we're interested" then it's a pretty worthless code if you're trying to hide your interest in a player.

If everyone knows "nothing doing at the moment" means "we're interested" then it's a pretty worthless code if you're trying to hide your interest in a player.
Sort of...
But that's the world of compromise.
I'm pretty sure CP would have asked a direct question. As said, you have to work out a deal whereby all parties are OK with what is said.
An outright lie doesn't do the club any favours.

Maybe Joe Gubbins heard the rumour and forced the move?
It doesn't work like that.
Can you imagine players trying to 'force' moves? This isn't someone with enough clout to push Mark Warburton into a corner.
Occasionally, you get a top player making it plain he no longer wants to play for his club, eg Lukaku before Christmas.
Even then, he had to rein back when Chelsea told him what's what.

Almost as if he was told to keep quiet about it
Agreed.
So therefore, the journo doesn't respond to questions about the player.

He doesn't write 'no truth whatsoever'. After all, he now looks either a fool or someone out of the loop.
That sort of statement just embarrasses the local reporter who has to work with a club on a daily basis.

Sort of...
But that's the world of compromise.
I'm pretty sure CP would have asked a direct question. As said, you have to work out a deal whereby all parties are OK with what is said.
An outright lie doesn't do the club any favours.
This probably sounds a bit disrespectful to CP but he has no right to know about our transfer targets if we don't want him to. If he isn't able to deal with the fact that we'll occasionally lie to him about our targets as a result (and I've not actually seen any evidence it bothers him, you're putting words into his mouth from what I can tell) then he probably shouldn't be in this job.

Back