• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Johnny Herd- Great game

shaneyshrimper

First XI
Although I think the majority of the team played their socks off last night. i think a special metion need sot go to Johnny Herd who IMO has come in this season, virtually unheard of apart from those who watch the resevres and has been a good replacement for Dan Harding.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is as good and can only get better. Lets see how long we can hang on to him!!!

Keep going Johnny you do us all proud.

He got done for the all important second but considering that was only his sixth professional appearance the boy's done good.

He got done for the all important second but considering that was only his sixth professional appearance the boy's done good.

There was a moment near the start when he was being rushed down by Ballack (four Bundesliga, all manner of cups, 89 German caps etc) when it dawned on me what a baptism of fire Herd was having. He's coping admirably so far, very encouraging.

I read in his echo interview that he first joined a football team at the age of 15, (They mentioned it on the coverage last night) the lad has only been playing competitive football for 4 years !!!

I like him , good touch , comfortable on the ball , good left peg and also is quick and agile , his defending will get better , he made a great headed clearance by out jumpinig Ballack i think ??

Want to see him play the remaining games of this season to improve his game , someone told me he has only been playing football for 6 years , if so what an achievement .

Played well , but yes did get done for the all important goal , but what a ball from Cole , it was world class and sometimes you can't defend that .

There was a moment near the start when he was being rushed down by Ballack (four Bundesliga, all manner of cups, 89 German caps etc) when it dawned on me what a baptism of fire Herd was having. He's coping admirably so far, very encouraging.

Ballack has played about three as many INTERNATIONALS as Moussa, Herd and Stanislas COMBINED have played club games.

At times, though, him and Lampard were immense and you could only sit back and admire them.

I think last night was encouraging for the younger players.

Absolutely. Two genuinely top drawer footballers.

Incidentally, there was a good article about Ballack in The Grauniad during the Euros. According to all the stats, he covers more ground than most players on the pitch, but he doesn't give that impression does he? Very classy player.

Herd played very well indeed, he may be small but he's got a great jump on him (a good saving header last night), has a bit of pace, a genuine left footer, and great long throw. He's a great prospect for us, and now he's broken through and is getting games he'll only improve.

Great prospect and I am sure he will go on to have a good career hopefully with us but I feel the club should still be looking at a first team left back the likes of Harding who can really help us push on.

Herd has done well and I like him but we need experienced pros in my book if we are hoping to push on.

I reckon he could actually make the left back position his own if tilly gives him a descent run in the side. Over the two legs he was the only one of our players who when he could not see a pass, actually looked up and ran with the ball instead of hoofing up field. Ok yeah, he did give the ball away on occaisons but look who he was having to deal with, Joe cole and probably the quickest right back in the world, Bosingwa.......hats off to you johnny!!

I reckon he could actually make the left back position his own if tilly gives him a descent run in the side. Over the two legs he was the only one of our players who when he could not see a pass, actually looked up and ran with the ball instead of hoofing up field. Ok yeah, he did give the ball away on occaisons but look who he was having to deal with, Joe cole and probably the quickest right back in the world, Bosingwa.......hats off to you johnny!!

He certainly didn't look out of his depth at all. The other thing he does that a lot of our current team doesn't do is play to the whistle! There were a few times last night when we felt we should been awarded a free kick but when it wasn't given they had already let the ball go by before they started playing again. (does that make sense?) Anyway; get up and get on with it until the ref blows; don't take your eye off the ball to plead doe-eyed to the ref.
Johnny was concentrating so hard I'm not sure he knew if he'd been fouled or not.

Go Johnny - go - go -go,
Johnny is good!

I'm sure Herd's going to be a great player for us for a while, but I wouldn't single him out last night - I thought we looked especially vulnerable on that flank in the first half. Sankofa did OK on the right but kept getting pulled inside, Anthony Grant was my man of the match covering our right hand side and showing that he could do a job at both ends of the pitch. And Revell should have scored.

The commentator said last night that Herd didn't start playing until he was 15.

For someone who has only been playing 4 years he is a remarkable talent and has a very bright future in the game.

Great prospect and I am sure he will go on to have a good career hopefully with us but I feel the club should still be looking at a first team left back the likes of Harding who can really help us push on.

Herd has done well and I like him but we need experienced pros in my book if we are hoping to push on.

A blend of youth and experience = good cheese

Hugely encouraging performance last night from Johnny H. My mate is a scout abnd has been bigging him up since last season. Looks to have a great future. And another header off the goal line last night outjumping an opponent who had a good few inches height advantage over him.

Could save us a bit of money in the short term and make a lot more for the club in the medium to long term.

The boy is doing great at the moment and he has the skill to become a great player but he needs first team experience in order to progress.

Back