• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wembley would to me have a much more prestigious feel than when we went to the Millenium! Wembley Way covered in Southend flags and banners would be epic.

With an Area Final, and two previous Final appearances; plus an Area Semi (or two) we must be in the top 5 performers ever in this competition?
Carlisle are probably the top team I think they have been to 5 finals and won it 2 or 3 times. Bit hard to find out a full top 5 without spending hours looking at results.

This competition has had 9 names over the years!

Just checked it out Carlisle have been to 6 finals and won it twice 2 years ago v Brentford and 1997 on penalties v Colchester.

This is only our second ever area final, I think. Lost the last one to Birmingham in the early 90s.

Carlisle are probably the top team I think they have been to 5 finals and won it 2 or 3 times. Bit hard to find out a full top 5 without spending hours looking at results.

This competition has had 9 names over the years!

Just checked it out Carlisle have been to 6 finals

... and Bristol City four.

Apart from Carlisle, the only team to have lost more finals than us is Brentford.

Posed the question and done the analysis. Since the Football League Trophy (in all its guises) commenced in 1983/84 I have awarded 8 points for the winner; 7 for the runner-up; 5.5 for the losing Area Finalists (6 points + 5 points divided by 2); and 2.5 points for the losing Area Semi-Finalists (4+3+2+1 divided by 4). Stopping at last season it gives us this Top 10:

Carlisle 57.5 points
Bristol City 41 points
Brentford 36.5 points
Bristol Rovers 32.5 points
Swansea 31.5 points
Wigan 29.5 points
Tranmere 28 points
Southend 24.5 points
Stockport 24.5 points
Blackpool 24 points

So with a guaranteed 5.5 points this season we will go to at least 30 points and into the top 6. Win it we go Top 4; lost the final top 5.

Of course you could undertake further analysis based upon how many times a team has actually been in the competition.

got far too much time on your hands :smile: but respect given where due - at least we now know the definitive position we sit in the competitions overall leaderboard!

Posed the question and done the analysis. Since the Football League Trophy (in all its guises) commenced in 1983/84 I have awarded 8 points for the winner; 7 for the runner-up; 5.5 for the losing Area Finalists (6 points + 5 points divided by 2); and 2.5 points for the losing Area Semi-Finalists (4+3+2+1 divided by 4). Stopping at last season it gives us this Top 10:

Carlisle 57.5 points
Bristol City 41 points
Brentford 36.5 points
Swansea 31.5 points
Wigan 29.5 points
Tranmere 28 points
Southend 24.5 points
Stockport 24.5 points
Blackpool 24 points

So with a guaranteed 5.5 points this season we will go to at least 30 points and into the top 6. Win it we go Top 4; lost the final top 5.

Of course you could undertake further analysis based upon how many times a team has actually been in the competition.
Excellent work!

Now have a look at our record in the League Cup I bet we would be near the bottom in that one.

Carlisle 57.5 points
Bristol City 41 points
Brentford 36.5 points
Swansea 31.5 points
Wigan 29.5 points
Tranmere 28 points
Southend 24.5 points
Stockport 24.5 points
Blackpool 24 points

I just had a stats exam so I don't know if I am enjoying this or not....But good work!!

If we get past Orient, we will have a very tough tie in the final. Preston, Coventry, Bradford and Crewe are battling it out in the north area semis.

You see there is the rub, do not worry about who Southend will play in the Final, as getting past a side like Orient is a Bridge to Far at the moment with this Side.

Back