• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jury Service advice

Some advice needed from my fellow Zoners...

I was out with my old man last night, and he tells me he's been called up for jury service. He's a bit concerned because he works as a contractor, and he's pretty certain the service is going to cost him a lot of money.

I know nothing about jury duties as, thankfully, I've not been called up to do it, but as he explains it, you can't claim for wages as these are usually just continued to be paid by the employer, although you can claim up to £36 per day for expenses. As a contractor, my dad's employed but by his own company. He's paid strictly for every hour he works, and £36 per day isn't going to get even close to it. He will lose money every day that he isn't working and no one else is going to make up the short-fall.

So, given that he'll lose money, is there any way he can opt out, or alternatively claim for his actual losses?

To make the thread more interesting, anyone out there with any juicy jury duty stories?

Supposedly you can decline to attend a certain time, but only if you agree to a certain date in the future when you will attend. That's what my Dad said anyway. Like yourself, it's not something I know anything about.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2005/apr/02/personaleffects.jobsandmoney

my girlfriend did it last year (in liverpool!) and said it was a massive drag and waste of time... most days are spent waiting around to be called - but if you can work from your phone then that might be some relief when just waiting. i feel for your dad though, it seems like a major issue, and it doesn't seem that it's that easy to get out of it

A mate of mine has managed to swerve this for quite some time. He declined the initial one, they offered him another which he also avoided.

I'll see if I can find out how it did it, but it was a little while ago.

Personally I would like to serve, but I am told it can be extremely boring if you don't get a case.

Hang 'em all! That's what I say.

can he do the mark "return of the mack" morrison community service trick of sending someone else?

My advice to your dad would be to turn up on day one wearing a tracksuit and drinking a can of Lynx super.

I bet that he will be shown the door before the trial even starts.

How is it fair that he should be expected to do this for nothing? People who are self employed etc shouldn't have to do it. Its not fair in any way.

my aunt got out of it twice and said that she couldn't get anyone to pick her kids up from school etc. Although unless he looks after any grandkids, then I doubt he could pull this one. Surely there are guidelines to it showing who is entitled to pull out?

I did it last year and it was a strange mixture of incredibly boring when you're sitting about just waiting and an odd feeling when we convicted a young girl of physical child abuse who spent the entire trial saying how she was a wonderful mother - and then the truth comes out once sentence is passed and you realise that if you'd made a mistake...god knows how what would have happened to the poor kid.

I can't speak about money side of things, but I'm sure you don't lose anything even if you're self employed.

Some advice needed from my fellow Zoners...

Its simple, if they are Muslim, they are guilty.

No, its just a joke, I was kidding, honestly. Sorry.

Hopefully some of these may help!
Don't reply
If and when you receive a jury duty letter, there will surely be a warning, stating that failure to return the form is a criminal offense and you might incur a penalty. The chance could be worth taking, as it's likely that you'll simply be removed from the process and not even receive a follow-up request.

If the authorities want to penalize you, they'll have to prove that you received the letter in the first place -- which is done by signing a registered letter. As long as you don't sign it, you're likely in the clear. Those who don't return the form might include people who were on vacation, have moved, or simply didn't pick up their mail. So if anyone wants to penalize you, be sure to show 'em your tan. By returning the letter, your name is placed in future random selection processes for potential jurors.

Are you objective?
If you are selected and receive a summons, then you are about to embark on another kind of trial, only this one consists of questions and answers to ensure you fit as a jury member for a particular case. The prosecutor, lawyer and maybe even a judge will interview you and evaluate your responses and reactions. Now of course, each side wants to make sure you are untainted and bias-free, and will offer an objective verdict. Here's where you need to use your acting abilities, especially if the case is described to you.

You know, that happened to my cousin's ex-boyfriend...
If the legal staff explains the case, jog your memory for someone you know who may have been in a similar situation. If the trial is about harassment or car theft, for example, and you say that you know all about that sort of thing because it happened to a relative or a friend, you'll be deemed biased and likely disqualified.

Show prejudice
When asked questions, exaggerate your mannerisms and actions. The prosecution and defense might be inclined to choose a potential juror who is on "their side," and if you show any signs of negative subjectivity, you'll be out of there. Helpful hint: shake your head from side to side and make sounds of horror (i.e. "gasp", "tsk tsk") when told anything about the trial.

You know the witnesses

At some point before the case, the judge might read out the names of the witnesses involved with the case. Here's your chance to namedrop and proclaim, "I know Doctor Smith! He lives right next door!" If you're caught in a lie, no sweat, just say it must be another Dr. Smith (don't try this if the doctor's name is Hergovinowitz).

You know the area
Similarly, if the crime occurred in your neighborhood, tell the legal staff that there's a strong chance you'll recognize one of the witnesses, or worse (actually better yet), the defendant.

Medical reasons
This is perhaps the most effective way to get out of jury duty: a medical problem. You might be required to prove your "condition" with a doctor's note, but something like severe migraines or stress can be enough to dismiss you. As long as the note convinces those working on the trial that you can't work long hours due to health reasons, and/or you have a condition that could impede your involvement, you're likely to be disqualified. If you can't get a medical note, take it further and say that you have to tend to your very ill relative and can't afford to be away all day, for an indeterminate amount of time.

Fake a hearing problem
This one's a spin-off of the medical condition; pretend you can't hear. Simply stare at whoever's asking the questions as if you didn't catch a word, and respond with "pardon me?" every time.

Look like a mess
When you show up for the day of questioning, appear as though you literally rolled out of bed. Bonus marks for pretending to doze off during the questions.

I would love to do jury duty.

I bet it is like watching an all day long episode of Crown Court rather than a meagre half hour sandwiched between The Sullivans and The Cedar Tree.

I bet it is like watching an all day long episode of Crown Court rather than a meagre half hour sandwiched between The Sullivans and The Cedar Tree.

I was always a Pebble Mill man...

Supposedly you can decline to attend a certain time, but only if you agree to a certain date in the future when you will attend. That's what my Dad said anyway. Like yourself, it's not something I know anything about.

Ok, he was summoned, he agreed a deferral due to overseas work commitments. He arranged another deferral nearer that time and got his boss to write a letter saying how he was working on a major project and the company couldn't release him. This wasn't the case, he just got his boss to do the letter.

He's still waiting to be called and the initial summons was about 5 years ago apparently.

Surely this should be done by professionals anyway, the thought of your fate in the hands of Joe public is terrifying, for example my nan has done this twice and on the 2nd time went with the majority (to send someone down) just because she had to finish her shopping!

A big WHOOOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHH for all those who weren't aware of the delights of lunchtime TV circa 1984

I was always a Pebble Mill man...

Has Judi Spiers still got that injunction out against you?

Personally, back on topic, I'd love to do jury duty, although just finished a book (A Trial By Jury) where the experience doesn't sound too pleasant about a jury who took 4 days to deliberate over a murder trial in NYC.

Surely this should be done by professionals anyway, the thought of your fate in the hands of Joe public is terrifying, for example my nan has done this twice and on the 2nd time went with the majority (to send someone down) just because she had to finish her shopping!

The statistics say opt for a trial by jury over trial by magistrates.

Mind you, magistrates aren't legal professionals (unless they are a stipendiary magistrate).

Back