• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jury service

Right people, whos done it, whats it like, what do i wear?...ive heard its veryy boring?!?!?!

I start my first day of Jury service a week today, only good thing is 2 weeks off work and company still paying my wages :)

What can i expect?

I did mine in SW London/Middlesex - great stuff: Heathrow drug smugglers, Southall gangs and an assault on the OB. Day before I started on the latter case, I'd gone face-first on the astro-turf and looked a sight. The defendant gave me a funny look! Take a book with you for the waiting around before gigs. Best to wear some clothes as you could be in contempt of court otherwise. Don't fall asleep during a trial - that definitely is COC and fine time.

Last edited:
It is smart casual for most people. Jeans. Everyday wear to be honest with you. I don't remember there being a strict dress code.

You sit in a big room. waiting talking to random people about what it will involve etc. On monday mornings all the pleas are entered and so they decide which cases need juries.

They then randomly select the jury and come down and ask for silence and read out 12 names. You confirm them show ID and go through to be briefed about the procedures. then you go in. They will call the names for the cases as when they are ready. They do not all come in one go. You can be waiting around for half a day. If not called byt 2-3pm they normally send you home as a case will then not normally start until the next morning. And then you return and follow the procedure again.

The jury service itself - you can't talk to anyone apart from your immediates. Everyone gets quite friendly and it is relaxed. you are given a notepad to work from and take notes throughout and i think morning cases start at 10 adjourn at 12ish then come back from lunch 1ish and go back in about 1.30 then cases finish in afternoon about 4ish.

Good luck. It is certainly an experience.

It is smart casual for most people. Jeans. Everyday wear to be honest with you. I don't remember there being a strict dress code.

You sit in a big room. waiting talking to random people about what it will involve etc. On monday mornings all the pleas are entered and so they decide which cases need juries.

They then randomly select the jury and come down and ask for silence and read out 12 names. You confirm them show ID and go through to be briefed about the procedures. then you go in. They will call the names for the cases as when they are ready. They do not all come in one go. You can be waiting around for half a day. If not called byt 2-3pm they normally send you home as a case will then not normally start until the next morning. And then you return and follow the procedure again.

The jury service itself - you can't talk to anyone apart from your immediates. Everyone gets quite friendly and it is relaxed. you are given a notepad to work from and take notes throughout and i think morning cases start at 10 adjourn at 12ish then come back from lunch 1ish and go back in about 1.30 then cases finish in afternoon about 4ish.

Good luck. It is certainly an experience.

Can you take cans in?

In all seriousness, is there any way out of this if I'm unlucky enough to be selected? Might be an experience, but so is having teeth pulled. i've got better things to do with my time, and would happily pay someone else to take my place.

In all seriousness, is there any way out of this if I'm unlucky enough to be selected? Might be an experience, but so is having teeth pulled. i've got better things to do with my time, and would happily pay someone else to take my place.

You can get out of it once if you've got a good excuse. I think you'd need a very impressive one to get out of it twice.

I doubt people with Criminal records are high on the list of potential Jurors. Strip naked, grab a kitchen knife, and walk out of your house holding your wife whilst screaming very loudly.

You may end up in court another way, but at least you won't be on Jury service.

Hope this helps,

My jury service was supposed to be in November last year, but at the very end of October I was in court as a witness for an incident at work. Wasn't sure how long that case was going to take (as it happens I went to court in the morning and just before the trial was due to start the defendent changed his plea to guilty and that was that) so asked for it to be deferred. They agreed but doubt I could get away with it again.

Back