• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

*Just got in and the views on todays game*

Pubey

solid performance, deserved the win. millwall were very poor and we had enough chances to get a 2nd and put it to bed. i wasn't too sure about Gilbert but Che was outstanding, another assist and worked well with both Gower and Black. Clarke was solid but IMO Bailey should have been MOTM.. he was class and I'm more than happy with him on the right. ok we didn't have much width but we played that system when we got our promotions and so i'm glad tilly seems to wants to use it again.

MacDonald and Harrold both did well, could have both got on the scoresheet. MacCormack and Maher were calming influences. Gower looked knackered after 30mins (like always)

Millwall fans treated us to a mini-invasion of the corner but were disappointing singing wise...

All in all it was a good performance but i reckon Tilly should give the rest of the squad a runout on tuesday as they will be tired! also apparently JCR has definitely been sold to Barnsley

Views on the Millwall match - leave them if you wish

I was slightly more optimistic when i got to the Hall and heard the starting team. Was a bit miffed as to why JCR lost his place, but very pleased to see Bailey starting.

Well I'm not going into great detail here, but I was really pleased with the way we played today. We played a team who should be up there come may off the park and bar the last 10 mins, I felt we dominated. However, there lies my niggling problem. Our performance was brilliant and deserved another couple of goals. In fact, most teams in the division had they played like us today WOULD have scored more goals. But the lack of firepower up front prevents us from doing that, and I knew before the game that in we were to score today, It'd come from a midfielder. The last 10 mins were nervous - Tilly simply can't keep telling the players to sit deep and defend the lead for the last 10 mins, inviting Millwall to bombard the goal, when our lack of firepower means that we only score one goal, even if we dominate. If we'd been 3 goals up like we should have done, then it wouldn't have mattered too much if Millwall had put away one of their chances at the end. But as it stands, we will struggle to score goals without a bit more firepower up top, and when you're just a goal up, you just don't sit back like we did today for the last 10 mins. It's suicide, and an equaliser would have been heart-breaking.

I thought the defence was great today and looked much more solid. More alert at set pieces, strong in the headed clearances. Clarke and AB worked brilliantly together, sweeping up everything, heading some good clearances and making some good tackles. Gilbert was solid, even though his positional sense was a little off. I was very impressed with Che. Made one error that could have let them in, but he was strong in the air as ever, passed the ball around well and got forward. His cross was brilliant.

The midfield was supreme. Gower seemed a little bit off colour, gave the ball away a bit toomuch and didn't seem to be running at and taking on defenders as much. Bailey was brilliant, passed the ball around well and got forward, and he and Macca were hard in the tackle - loved it. Maher was as solid as ever too, but gave the wall away a bit too much. Maher, maca and Bailey in the middle should scare any opposition and I liked the tactics in the midfield today. When we went forward, Bailey drifted inside so that he, Maher and Macca could pull the strings in tandem, which worked a treat, and that left Gilbert to get forward run the wing, which was no problem as it's a strength of his. Then when Millwall attacked, Bailey moved out to defend the wing in front of Gilbert when need be, and I think it al worked brilliantly. Black was a revelation when he came on. Quick, skillful and very strong, and he looks like he's the proper creative midfielder we've been crying out for. Needs to start the next game really.

Up top, not sure what to say really. Harrold wasn't bad...he just didn't look like he could get anywhere NEAR scoring a goal. He held up the ball and laid it off well though, but he can be so lazy at times. Charlie MacDonald impressed me. He has great positional awareness, which was shown on the two occasions when he did Richard Shaw, and he never stops running and harrying. Didn't look like scoring much today, but if he keeps going, and he has a creative midfielder like Tommy Black playing to give him his chances, I think he could start banging them in. Hooper didn't have long enough to do anything really. Neither did Flavs til the last 10. I counted 2 shots from Millwall up to the last 10.

Flavs - 7
Gilbert - 7
Che - 7
Clarke - 8
AB - 8
Gower - 6
Maher - 7
Macca - 7
Bailey - 8
Harrold - 6
C Mac - 7

Black - 7 (would have been an 8 if he'd had all match to do his stuff)
Hooper - 6

Get us another stiker who can score a bit and we'll do fine. I know everyone says that. But we can't go all season dominating matches and only being a goal up, because there will be teams who WILL equalise at the end if we start playing deep like that.

got to disagree, i didn't think we sat back for the last 20. millwall pushed on but when we got the ball we looked to use it and our defence was pushing up quite high (mainly because millwall had no pace in their team at all)

Everyone has their own opinions. You can disagree if you like! Yes, we still looked to use the ball if we got it, but IMO, for the last 10, we sat back more and invited them to attack us. We stopped harrying and hassling as much as we had done all game, and when we did get the ball back, there was less movement than there had been all game, and it seemed to take longer to get the attacks flowing. We weren't as urgent, when I think we should have been pushing with all our might for a second.

I was slightly more optimistic when i got to the Hall and heard the starting team. Was a bit miffed as to why JCR lost his place, but very pleased to see Bailey starting.

Well I'm not going into great detail here, but I was really pleased with the way we played today. We played a team who should be up there come may off the park and bar the last 10 mins, I felt we dominated. However, there lies my niggling problem. Our performance was brilliant and deserved another couple of goals. In fact, most teams in the division had they played like us today WOULD have scored more goals. But the lack of firepower up front prevents us from doing that, and I knew before the game that in we were to score today, It'd come from a midfielder. The last 10 mins were nervous - Tilly simply can't keep telling the players to sit deep and defend the lead for the last 10 mins, inviting Millwall to bombard the goal, when our lack of firepower means that we only score one goal, even if we dominate. If we'd been 3 goals up like we should have done, then it wouldn't have mattered too much if Millwall had put away one of their chances at the end. But as it stands, we will struggle to score goals without a bit more firepower up top, and when you're just a goal up, you just don't sit back like we did today for the last 10 mins. It's suicide, and an equaliser would have been heart-breaking.

I thought the defence was great today and looked much more solid. More alert at set pieces, strong in the headed clearances. Clarke and AB worked brilliantly together, sweeping up everything, heading some good clearances and making some good tackles. Gilbert was solid, even though his positional sense was a little off. I was very impressed with Che. Made one error that could have let them in, but he was strong in the air as ever, passed the ball around well and got forward. His cross was brilliant.

The midfield was supreme. Gower seemed a little bit off colour, gave the ball away a bit toomuch and didn't seem to be running at and taking on defenders as much. Bailey was brilliant, passed the ball around well and got forward, and he and Macca were hard in the tackle - loved it. Maher was as solid as ever too, but gave the wall away a bit too much. Maher, maca and Bailey in the middle should scare any opposition and I liked the tactics in the midfield today. When we went forward, Bailey drifted inside so that he, Maher and Macca could pull the strings in tandem, which worked a treat, and that left Gilbert to get forward run the wing, which was no problem as it's a strength of his. Then when Millwall attacked, Bailey moved out to defend the wing in front of Gilbert when need be, and I think it al worked brilliantly. Black was a revelation when he came on. Quick, skillful and very strong, and he looks like he's the proper creative midfielder we've been crying out for. Needs to start the next game really.

Up top, not sure what to say really. Harrold wasn't bad...he just didn't look like he could get anywhere NEAR scoring a goal. He held up the ball and laid it off well though, but he can be so lazy at times. Charlie MacDonald impressed me. He has great positional awareness, which was shown on the two occasions when he did Richard Shaw, and he never stops running and harrying. Didn't look like scoring much today, but if he keeps going, and he has a creative midfielder like Tommy Black playing to give him his chances, I think he could start banging them in. Hooper didn't have long enough to do anything really. Neither did Flavs til the last 10. I counted 2 shots from Millwall up to the last 10.

Flavs - 7
Gilbert - 7
Che - 7
Clarke - 8
AB - 8
Gower - 6
Maher - 7
Macca - 7
Bailey - 8
Harrold - 6
C Mac - 7

Black - 7 (would have been an 8 if he'd had all match to do his stuff)
Hooper - 6

Get us another stiker who can score a bit and we'll do fine. I know everyone says that. But we can't go all season dominating matches and only being a goal up, because there will be teams who WILL equalise at the end if we start playing deep like that.

Phew that's a relief !

Thought we looked tighter today and Bailey was excellent - his goal capped a fine performance .However , a decent striker would have buried at least one of the several clearcut chances they had and we could so easily be talking about another reversal tonight . Lets not get carried away .

That said we should be looking for maximum points from our next two matches which would see us in a respectable position

Phew that's a relief !

Thought we looked tighter today and Bailey was excellent - his goal capped a fine performance .However , a decent striker would have buried at least one of the several clearcut chances they had and we could so easily be talking about another reversal tonight . Lets not get carried away .

That said we should be looking for maximum points from our next two matches which would see us in a respectable position

Yeah,my bad there! Was only going to post a small comment, but got to writing and it just flowed!

Phew that's a relief !

:D My thought entirely.

First half I thought we were the better of two quite poor teams. Second half much better, and we deserved to win. However the well document:D ed lack of a goal scorer will almost certainly cost us. To be fair to Matt Harrold he worked his nuts off, but......

Liked the look of MacDonald, it will be good for him to get on the score sheet for his confidence.

I'm quite quick at typing - but it's more the fact that I always have a lot to say about the games because I'm a perfectionist :D

:D My thought entirely.

First half I thought we were the better of two quite poor teams. Second half much better, and we deserved to win. However the well document:D ed lack of a goal scorer will almost certainly cost us. To be fair to Matt Harrold he worked his nuts off, but......

Liked the look of MacDonald, it will be good for him to get on the score sheet for his confidence.

What's that about then ? - not read anything about that on here :rolleyes:

Thought the first half was dire. Three central midfield with the only width coming from Gilbert. So many times things got clogged up by the amount of bodies in the midle of the park and a static forward line that left them with no outlet. Blacks appearance was a revalation. Suddenly there was someone who seemed to get the whole side and crowd buzzing with his imagination. One amaing dribble brought instant comparrisions to our dear departed. Why oh why Tilly was he not on from the start instead of the tedum you put us through for the first 45 minutes when for long spells I wished I was back home watching my garrage door dry. Get us a mobile forward who knows how to score goals...break the bank and get Mclean and by Christmas we will have enough points to get us out of this division.. through the top end and not the bottom.

Well done today

Was pleased with performance, still lack cutting edge upfront but other than that was pleased. Thought our fans were in good voice and a nice size crowd in the hall. Well done the guys in the west singing up with the millwall fans trying to imtimidate. This win has set up a good weekend for me off out tonight for a few beers.

Come on you Blues.

Thought the first half was dire. Three central midfield with the only width coming from Gilbert. So many times things got clogged up by the amount of bodies in the midle of the park and a static forward line that left them with no outlet. Blacks appearance was a revalation. Suddenly there was someone who seemed to get the whole side and crowd buzzing with his imagination. One amaing dribble brought instant comparrisions to our dear departed. Why oh why Tilly was he not on from the start instead of the tedum you put us through for the first 45 minutes when for long spells I wished I was back home watching my garrage door dry. Get us a mobile forward who knows how to score goals...break the bank and get Mclean and by Christmas we will have enough points to get us out of this division.. through the top end and not the bottom.

i would rather be clogged up in midfield, than wide open like we were last season. it's no surprise that our last promotions we had 3 CM's on the pitch and i though bailey did really well at coming inside and gilbert overlapped well. bailey was class today and i think tactically tilly got it spot on

I must admit I have always liked Black from the earlier friendlies...he is definately Class......I would rather have him anyday than Jcr....He creates and has a very fast footballing brain.. Ok performance today ..the second half much better than the first ..I though Harrold did ok and I think with time Macdonald will come good.. Bailey lovely goal and worked hard too.

Nice to be able to Smile this evening ...:)

No I preferred it that way. We won and will continue to win every single midfield battle because with Bailey, Maher and Macca in the middle, we're rock solid and tigerish. It was good to see. It's not like Bailey spent the whole time inside. He got outside when he needed to. And Gilbert did a very good job of bombing forward and overlapping to play the role of both RB and RM. If we had a RB who couldn't do that (Lewis Hunt?), then I'd have been worried about Bailey coming inside a lot.

pretty happy with out performance today. thought nearly the whole team played really well. was very surprised to see jcr not even in the squad but this led me and pretty much everyone to think he's on his way out.

bailey filled in nicely and is getting better and more confident by the game. gower had an off day and lost possesion numerous times. was really please with macdonald today, he didn't stop running, closed everything down and won a lot of tackles. flavs was solid and had a great game as did the defence. gilbert had a much better game, you can see he is learning game by game. macca was macca, another good performance. was very surprised to see how well che did, getting forward and winning tackles. well done to him!

BLACK! tommy black was immense, was a performance, it was short but great he changed the game so much for the better and set up at least 3 very good chances and so very nearly scored himself. i really like the look of him.

sorry to finish on a bad note but its that man again harrold. he was terribel today, i'll give it to him he won a FEW tackles but was missing headers with no one pressuring him. he should have scored two. he frustraites me so much, i wonder if he knows how to sprint?

well done blues (great atmosphere today)

I think Harrold played very well today. When we were under pressure he won headers and kept the ball in there half and also made some great tackles. He looked more confident and even won the header that Bailey scored from!

I have to Echo the thoughts above, just a shame some mindless Millwall fans decided smack anyone wearing a Southend top - Pathetic!

Pretty good performance from the boys, first half was a bit iffy, did anyone else notice we werent playing with a right midfielder, bailey was sat central and deep. Shame Maccy d didnt score. It was nice to see us create some chances today wonder if that had anything to do with JCR not being on the pitch, 2-0 would have made better (and fairer) reading, nice to keep clean sheet deffo something to build on.

Back