• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
It's been a long hot summer so far and there has been some pretty strongly felt feelings posted on here, especially in Chit-Chat. As with all things, strongly held views can sometimes manifest themselves in a heated way. I've just reminded myself of what some of the SZ basic rules are, and I've reproduced some of them below in case any of you are interested.

Basic rules

Simple Respect

As a registered member of ShrimperZone, the general rules of the site simply come down to Respect.

• Respect yourself and your fellow users
  • Respect the rules of the site
  • Respect UK law

Swearing

Let the Swear Filter do its job

Since ShrimperZone may well be accessed by younger readers, the forum contains a Swear Filter which recognises a number of commonly used swear words and replaces them with asterisks. Eg: ****
If a user swears in their post, nine times out of ten the Swear Filter will pick up the swear words and the replacement by asterisks will be automatic. Any swear words slipping through will quickly be picked up by the administrators of the site. There is therefore no need for users to add characters into a word to try to half-spell the word or apply their own version of filtering. Eg: F***, SH**. Getting around the filter

The Swear Filter is intended to make the site accessible to the widest group of users possible. If a user takes special efforts to purposefully get around the Swear Filter (eg: by typing the word in a unique way so as to ensure the word remains visible - perhaps using @ for a, ! for I, or by entering dots in the word) then the user may find themselves temporarily banned from the site.

Where any user is determined to prove how clever they are by taking continual steps to get around the Swear Filter, their behaviour is likely to result in a permanent ban from the site.

Racism

Racism will not be tolerated Racism will not be accepted on ShrimperZone in any place and in any form. Don't like the rule? Then visit Google, search for something your tiny mind might be able to stretch itself around and then find yourself another forum. As with all other rules, this rule extends right across ShrimperZone and includes social groups.

Abuse

Personal abuse will not be tolerated Personal abuse, whether of the owners, moderators or any other user, will not be tolerated anywhere on the ShrimperZone forums. Where a user is considered by the site administrators to have been abusive, the user will be warned as to their future conduct. However, users who are consistently abusive risk being excluded from the ShrimperZone forum. As per the rules comments above, abuse will not be tolerated anywhere on the site, even if it takes place in more private areas of the site such as in the social groups.

General Nuisance
Posters intent on causing nuisance will be asked to leave As stated elsewhere, when users opt to join the ShrimperZone forums, they do so as guests of the owners and are expected to respect and follow the rules of the site. Where, in the opinion of the owners by majority, any one user persistently causes problems for the administrators, moderators or owners of the site, the user will simply be asked to leave.
Users are reminded that entry into and use of the site is solely at the discretion of the owners.

I am being discriminated against on the grounds of my racism. Were racists a minority group this would be a hate crime.

Out of interest, who polices this? I assume it's the moderators. But each moderator will have different views (as we all do), so do you have a set of guidelines you work to?

Also, what do you do if someone posts something that is against UK law, and with all due respect (given I suspect you're not lawyers) how would you know?

Can I just say "up yours" ..............

.......... no reason - just thought it would be nice to type it in ......................:whistling:

Out of interest, who polices this? I assume it's the moderators. But each moderator will have different views (as we all do), so do you have a set of guidelines you work to?

Also, what do you do if someone posts something that is against UK law, and with all due respect (given I suspect you're not lawyers) how would you know?

I am neither an owner nor a Mod but am a lawyer... however not one that deals with litigation and/or libel.

However, and with all due respect, it's the owners of the site who are responsible so if they want to take down something because they might think it could cause them a problem then they would have every right to do so.

In short, if people play nice, there will be less need for moderation.

#justsaying

I am neither an owner nor a Mod but am a lawyer... however not one that deals with litigation and/or libel.

However, and with all due respect, it's the owners of the site who are responsible so if they want to take down something because they might think it could cause them a problem then they would have every right to do so.

In short, if people play nice, there will be less need for moderation.

#justsaying

I think we're at cross purposes. I'm not questioning whether or not they overstep the mark, I'm asking what happens if they understep the mark and don't deal with something because they don't recognise that they should.

I think we're at cross purposes. I'm not questioning whether or not they overstep the mark, I'm asking what happens if they understep the mark and don't deal with something because they don't recognise that they should.

The owners and Administrators of SZ call the shots where legal matters are concerned. As for understepping the mark, most of the Mods on here have doing the job for many years and therefore they have built up a good deal of experience of how to handle issues when they arise, unlike newbies like me, and I ask when not sure.

This is the link which gives the full set of basic rules, its then a case of having a reasonable knowledge of these and trying to apply common sense.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/faq.php?faq=generalbehaviour#faq_behaviour

Mods are doing the job on a voluntary basis and cannot be everywhere on here all the time. A lot of the time the boards are self policing by other posters. I'm not aware of any major bollocks being dropped, but I'm sure my fellow mods will correct me on that if necessary.

In short, they would pay the consequences.

They'd probably err on the side of caution and remove stuff "just in case" rather than take a chance.

Well said RHB, there's been far too much personal abuse recently - as others have said before, play the post, not the poster.

There is also the ability to "report" a post if you think it crosses the line or may constitute a legal problem - because, with the best will in the world, the mods and/or owners can't be on here 24/7.

If you don't know how to do this, it's the little black triangle with the exclamation mark in at the bottom of each post, where it says "Blog this post", then there's a star (for giving rep) and then the report function.

Who is this roots hall bloke???

Stroll on chief some have been here since the year 2001

Just curious, but how come you've only liked 3 posts in all that time?

Last edited:
Back